Thank You Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTtoB

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious as to what your opinions are on sending thank you letters after the interview.

My personal opinion is that the admissions process is supposed to be objective (i.e. the qualifications of a candidate are converted into points, and the most highly qualified are considered). I therefore assume that a thank you letter would serve little purpose, other than to try and sway things in a person's favor, and to make the process less objective.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am curious as to what your opinions are on sending thank you letters after the interview.

My personal opinion is that the admissions process is supposed to be objective (i.e. the qualifications of a candidate are converted into points, and the most highly qualified are considered). I therefore assume that a thank you letter would serve little purpose, other than to try and sway things in a person's favor, and to make the process less objective.

I was wondering the same thing. I just had an interview at Chatham. It was great and I thoroughly enjoyed it…..enough that I would like to send a thank you. I’m not sure if that is good/bad/or indifferent.

I currently work in undergrad admissions and am applying for OT programs. I think a thank you note is simply good etiquette. Yes, there are criteria set up to evaluate students but it's not an objective science. If you stick out in a counselor's mind and they're wavering between you and another candidate, something small like common courtesy could be enough to make them remember you more fondly than another candidate. I know that's been true for me when I receive thank-you's from the undergrads I interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't say everyone will agree with me here but from working in the business world for years, and growing up with my mother as a high school guidance counselor (very in tune with how admissions to undergrad and grad school work) ABSOLUTELY send thank you notes via email. I have been told as MaQQi3 stated, that it shows a good sense etiquette, but also helps to stands out from the crowd that admissions personnel deal with. Following up with a thank you email 1-3 days after meeting with admissions or someone in the department you are applying to makes a difference I really believe. I mean think about it, in our day to day lives, doesn't it speak louder than anything someone's actions rather than words? There are already too many qualified applicants for the number of spots in OT programs, so "soft" or "less tangible" criteria are absolutely a part of the process and I wholeheartedly dissagree with anyone who says otherwise. Good luck!

Yeah, I agree with everyone. I don't think a thank you letter could ever hurt, so why not send one. There's very little chance someone is going to look at a thank you letter and be like, "Yeah, I definitely don't like this candidate, they said thank you for my time.:yeahright:" haha. Plus, I think it shows good character and an interest in the program. Maybe it'll help, maybe it won't, but I doubt it could hurt.