Thank you letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kirk002

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who interviewed, did you send thank you letters to those who interviewed you? Do you think it helps? I guess it couldnt hurt.

Members don't see this ad.

I personnally sent emails(yea, lazy, but free and quick). Cant hurt, but doubt it really helps admission.

Definately send thank-you letters!

I don't know if it makes a huge difference in this day and age....people simply don't expect others to follow 'polite society' rules. However, it can only help if you do get in there.....they might remember you as the nice guy that sent a thank you for thier time.

I am sure that you would appreciate such a thing if situations were reversed AND if you had to choose between 2 candidates that are equal in all ways, except one thanked you for your time and said that he really enjoyed chatting with you....which would you choose all else being equal?

We sent thank yous before we even left the town....but it was easy because hubby really DID enjoy the interviews and the conversations.
Maybe it did the trick....hes in. :)

Just my ha'penny,
Wifty

Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy,

Thank you letters are a definite. Remember that you will be in their shoes in a few years and it is nice to get a pat on the back for your efforts. I got very positive feedback from some very unlikely sources (think: six degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon, etc.)

I just wanted to add my 2 cents: I don't think it hurts, but it can help them to remember you if the committee meeting is a long time from the interview. When I was accepted at one of my schools, one of my interviewers called me to tell me. He even said "Thank you for the nice little note you sent." All I had said was that I had a great time there meeting everyone and that afterwards I drove around town and he was right, Lexington was a great place to live. (He had talked about how he'd lived there most of his life, etc).

Write the thank you's and be sincere- I tried to write something specific relating to my interview-- for example, on guy at DMU talked of how important it is to include my wife in my schooling and really stressed how hard med school is on marriages- i wrote and thanked him for his advice. Another interviewer talked a lot about how sugery works at the school so i wrote and thanked him for that, and expressed my excitement of exploring surgery in the osteopathic profession. It's a kind thing to do.

I agree as well.

I wrote one to each of my interviewers and also the Director of Admissions, who took the time to speak with me as well.

Each letter had a mention of what we talked about.

The basic science professor mentioned the open-door policy professors have with students so I wrote about how I was impressed with their concern for their students.

The physician who interviewed me talked about post-doc opportunities in and around NYC so I mentioned that.

Good luck.