Thank you Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rocky6

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there possibility that a thank you letter for interviews might hurt as it might be seen as kissing up? any opinions welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Isnt that the whole point of this process? Your nose should be the shade of a UPS truck when you're through with this process.

Isnt that the whole point of this process? Your nose should be the shade of a UPS truck when you're through with this process.

:laugh: that's a first!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there possibility that a thank you letter for interviews might hurt as it might be seen as kissing up? any opinions welcome.

The problem is that we're pre-meds. That means (barring LizzyM and REL, so you might search their posts) none of us knows for sure. We all go with our best guess.

Personally, my best guess is this: thank you notes for somebody who helped you out in the past (an LOR-writer who helped you get in) are courteous. Thank you notes for somebody from whom you hope to get benefits in the future (adcomm member) might be sycophantic. So I don't. Many people do. I don't know any better than they do, so they might be right.

The good news is that the consensus seems to be: they don't affect your admissions chances. So go with whichever you figure is more nearly socially correct. And your best guess will be as good as ours.

I also don't think they're a form of kissing up. I don't know about you guys but my interviewers have been really kind and friendly and I really appreciate the fact that they a)took time out of their busy schedule to interview me and b) they made a sincere effort to make the interview really enjoyable. Most of these people are volunteering their time, and I think they deserve thanks for that. Since it has little to no bearing on your actual admission, send one because it's good manners, not because you want to suck up.

Don't sweat it. So many people send thank you cards that they probably won't care either way. It definitely won't hurt you, though

If we do decide to send thank you letters, should they be in mail form or e-mail form?

What did you guys do?

i've always heard that handwritten note + nice card shows that more time and thought was invested...i would make the extra effort.

Well according to "adcomm" in the "semi-solicited" advice thread, thank you notes should be written