• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

Thank You Letters

JourneyToMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
So, are thank you letters in the form of emails not as acceptable as those in the form of snail mail?

What is your take on this please?? If I send a card tomorrow... it'll take 3 days to get there... meaning that, including the weekend, it'll arrive on Monday...

What to do??:idea:

About the Ads
W

Wizard of Oz

Don't send them. It's really just your own placebo to calm yourself--you'll get better results sending one to Santa Claus after Christmas. They've probably already scored your interview and put your app into a pile.

GoinBack2Cali?

it used to be so cool
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Enough about sending letters to your interviewers (personally I think its pointless). What about sending thank yous that are more deserved, like the people that wrote letters of support. Should you send it once you have gotten in somewhere (not necessarily your first choice) ? or Do you wait until all is said and done, so that you can say "I am going to . . . "

Because honestly I think LORs carry more weight than the interview. Because if your LOR suck, you won't even get an interview. So they therefore require more gratitude.

W

Wizard of Oz

Enough about sending letters to your interviewers (personally I think its pointless). What about sending thank yous that are more deserved, like the people that wrote letters of support. Should you send it once you have gotten in somewhere (not necessarily your first choice) ? or Do you wait until all is said and done, so that you can say "I am going to . . . "

Because honestly I think LORs carry more weight than the interview. Because if your LOR suck, you won't even get an interview. So they therefore require more gratitude.

I always have kept in touch. After the process is over is probably the most appropriate time. Plus I followed up after I started school. If you respect them, there is nothing wrong with keeping in contact.

One year I gave them all computer-generated certificates for "Best recommender" or something like that. One of the profs actually framed it and put it in his office.

zenhiking

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
In nearly all instances, sending a thank you note will have no bearing on your application. A couple or few sentences is adequate. It is a matter of etiquette, so it is a personal decision.

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
On SDN
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
In nearly all instances, sending a thank you note will have no bearing on your application. A couple or few sentences is adequate. It is a matter of etiquette, so it is a personal decision.

Your probably right about it having no effect. However it certainly couldn't hurt and there is always the possibility that it will help if your interviewer is the one to champion your application to the committee.

My small experience with this doesn't mean anything really, but for what its worth: the one school where I sent hand written thank you notes offered me an acceptance, the other school where I did not send thank you notes but instead sent several update letters/letters of interest I am still on a waitlist. Most probably a coincidence, but still ....

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
I just pulled out the stack I've received this year. Almost all are cards in small envelopes. Only one person sent a letter in a business envelope (and that letter was handwritten on letterhead). The remainder send cards: most were Hallmark cards that were blank inside and had either "Thank you" or artwork on the outside. Some had custom made stationery printed with their name on the outside (in the business these are called "informals"). At least one send me a similar informal with the undergrad logo on the front (college bookstores sell these).

It is never wrong to say thank you. It may not help in the short run but believe me, it is a day brightener that shows you cared enough to take the time and effort required to send a note.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
It is never wrong to say thank you. It may not help in the short run but believe me, it is a day brightener that shows you cared enough to take the time and effort required to send a note.
Agreed.

I love how any mention of "thank you" letters brings out hordes of people who talk about whether or not it has an impact on your acceptance.

Regardless of impact (zero, imho), sending out thank you cards is simply the considerate thing to do. Period. Unless a school forbids it, it can create no harm and would make your mother smile at the thought that she raised you right.

Shpamme

status pages confuse me.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Thanks Lizzy for shedding your light on the issue. It is really reassuring to hear from a Adcom that it definitely can't hurt.. and that it's a day brightener rather than something that adds to your hassles.

TexPre-Med

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So, are thank you letters in the form of emails not as acceptable as those in the form of snail mail?

What is your take on this please?? If I send a card tomorrow... it'll take 3 days to get there... meaning that, including the weekend, it'll arrive on Monday...

What to do??:idea:

Doesn't matter at all. It is true though that the decision on you has been made before you'd have time to write the thank you card.

However, it would be interesting if you sent the thank you card to the admissions committee before the interview. Never thought of that one. haha

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.