thank you letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vegandream

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I have sort of a naive question: I have just interviewed and would like the send thank you letters. I am wondering how much can be said in a letter. Should it just be a short and nice 'thank you' or would it be possible to emphasize your interest in that particular school if you feel you might not have adequately conveyed that during the interview? ;) <or add anything else that you wish you would have somehow gotten across in the interview.>

I have a feeling the answer to this question is 'no' but I desperately want to get into this school!

Thanks all! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Something to the effect of: I really had a great time at this school and enjoyed "x" thing about the tour and could really see myself going here is not ouf the question. The problem is that I'm not sure how effective that would be. I think your main chance to shine is the interview.

Originally posted by vegandream
Hi guys.

I have sort of a naive question: I have just interviewed and would like the send thank you letters. I am wondering how much can be said in a letter. Should it just be a short and nice 'thank you' or would it be possible to emphasize your interest in that particular school if you feel you might not have adequately conveyed that during the interview? ;) <or add anything else that you wish you would have somehow gotten across in the interview.>

I have a feeling the answer to this question is 'no' but I desperately want to get into this school!

I think you don't need a long thank you letter/card for your interviewer. Instead, send a separate Letter of Interest to the admission comittee (Probably limit it to 2 pages long). You can state what you like about the school, and what you can contribute to the school as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
one of my interviewers gave me his business card and told me to send him anything else i might want him to know about me or didnt say in the interview. another of my interviewers at a different school told me that the whole application process would slip out of my hands after the interview, giving me the impression that he wouldnt want extra info after i left. nonetheless, the interviewer is your advocate. in my opinion, it would be better to give them the info that you think would help you (ie specific interest in school, etc). they will be talking to the adcom about you and can tell them why you like the school and other things. if you have publications and updated transcripts, you should contact the admissions office and see if they would want that and how you should go about transmitting those articles. you also might want to send your interviewers that info, but it is important that the adcom gets those kinds of things, too.

you might want to send a thank you card and the extra info in the same envelope. that way you wont have to write a long thank you card. and the interviewer can look at the extra info separately.

Thank you guys. I think I will add an extra letter as suggested. What is a 'Letter of Interest'? ...or where can I find out more about writing one? Well I will go search now...

Thank you! :)

Thank you guys. I think I will add an extra letter as suggested. What is a 'Letter of Interest'? ...or where can I find out more about writing one? Well I will go search now...

Thank you! :)

A letter of interest is basically what it means literally: You write a short letter telling the school what you like about the school. If it's your top choice, you can also mention it. I don't think there's any format to follow, just follow the format that you'll use for a formal letter.

I am a little confused about the distinction b/w LOI and a Thank you note. Don't they serve the same purpose? Would sending both be redundant?

:confused:

Thank you notes can only help, and never hurt. So long as you make it short and concise, you should make a good final impression.

I'm not sure if thank you letters are really necessary. I started sending them until my advisor suggested I didn't. She said that it may appear that you're sucking up to them if you do that. I'm not sure.

I agree with Zeke that I don't think they're absolutely necessary, but I do not believe they can hurt you either. At some schools I interviewed, the decision was made before I even had a chance to send a thank you letter. That's something to be considered as well I guess.

Hi guys.

Send TY letters if it makes you feel better. But remember, they will have no impact on your acceptance. All people I've known on various medical school admissions committees either toss them or let the secretaries file them away in your application folder.

I recommend that you save yourself some time and paper, unless you're just dying to write and send TY letters.

Good luck!