Thank You MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themadchemist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
No seriously, I have reached the lowest of the lowest points in imaginable existence...I actually think the MCAT was useful as something other than assigning me a score!

Not only do I feel I picked up a lot of factoids (esp. in physiology) that I my basic bio course hadn't hit, I also think I developed another important skill. Being able to read scientific passages quickly and understand them well enough to answer challenging questions is a useful technique for life, at least the road in life all of us plan to take. Doing this well requires being able to assemble and analyze significant amounts of information in short periods of time and to evaluate the material to distinguish the important from the insignificant.

I think intense prep for the MCAT helps to improve this skill and I believe, or at least hope, that it will help in the future, especially in any research efforts that I might undertake.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I sorta agree with you....but I wouldn't go out and thank MCAT. A lot of the stuff I learned in college, esp. physics didn't really sink in untill I prepped for the MCAT, it was basically your run-of-the-mill plug and solve. I got A's but learned squat.

thank me ye fools
on VR i was the wind in ye sails making ye read faster about meh chinese pottery

I must agree with the premise of this thread. Not only have I strengthened my grasp of the basic sciences, but I feel that the MCAT has helped me to further develop my critical thinking skills. I also feel that we should all be proud of ourselves for getting through one of the most rigorous, mentally challenging exams we will take as future physicians. Yes, the USMLE's, etc. will require even more preparation than the MCAT, but every physician and third-year medical student who I know tell me that studying for the boards is much better than studying for the MCAT. Not only is the material more relevant to your future career, but the tests themselves are more straightforward (i.e., the weed-out process is all but over once you receive that medical school acceptance letter).

Members don't see this ad :)
DieselPetrolGrl said:
thank me ye fools
on VR i was the wind in ye sails making ye read faster about meh chinese pottery

Uhhh what exactly did you do with DieselPetrolGrl?

yup, i agree all the way. mcat does make you LEARN which often doesn't happen in a lot of classes, like the above poster said, even if you did get an A...physics is a prime example for me especially. i think it brings a lot together...gen chem and ochem for instance when learned together in their entirety make a really clear picture whereas taking the courses a year apart just didn't do that for me; i had forgotten all of gen chem - and never really learned it to begin with for that matter - by the time i took ochem. i think ultimately it really ties it all together though...and i think i'm going to be a much better student for taking it. i don't think studying for tests will seem as big an ordeal after studying for the mcat and likewise for actually taking tests. you do learn alot about subject matter AND about study and test taking skills, stamina, etc. I think you really do turn into a different kind of premed student after mcat. so thank YOU mcat :D

It seems as though the MCAT is excellent at beginning to prepare people to look at the big picture. From that you must glean the useful information and disgard the irrelevent material. Which is exactly what we'll be doing as physicians.

bgreet said:
Uhhh what exactly did you do with DieselPetrolGrl?
i ate her now she lives through me
diesel petrolgrl : noo save meeee
SHUT UP FOOL!
BWYAHHAAH SWAB DE DECKS!

thank you mcat for protecting me from the horrors of skin cancer by preventing me from going outdoors all summer. i am now a lovely shade of alabaster.

myodana said:
thank you mcat for protecting me from the horrors of skin cancer by preventing me from going outdoors all summer. i am now a lovely shade of alabaster.
thank me !!!
or i shall pillage ur pottery storage!
i am now the healthy tan that comes from post-mcat-plundering! ah-hoy mate!

Whatever I learned from MCAT studying is probably evaporating through my skull at a exponential rate due to disuse. I am sure the decomposition of knowledge is a spontaneous, exothermic reaction with a postive change in entropy.