• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

eagleDoc6

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I interviewed with a school on thursday, and I haven't sent a thank you note yet. Is it too late to send one now? I'm leaning towards email vs snail mail because the delivery time would exaggerate the lateness issue.

Also....what on earth do people write in these things?

HumbleMD

hmmmm...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2006
East Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I interviewed with a school on thursday, and I haven't sent a thank you note yet. Is it too late to send one now? I'm leaning towards email vs snail mail because the delivery time would exaggerate the lateness issue.

Also....what on earth do people write in these things?

You'll get a great variety of responses by checking out the "search" function and searching for "thank you notes."

Robizzle

1K Member
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
Boston & NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Wait a minute, you mean you're not sending it just to thank your interviewer? Cuz ya know... it wouldn't matter how late you send it then.

About the Ads

eagleDoc6

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I am sending it to thank my interviewer...it's a well known fact that thye write their reports shortly after the interview and thank you's have no bearing anyway. I'm worried taht I'm too late because I don;t want to give the impression that it was an afterthought......aka I'm following the "do no harm" mantra.

Blanket

10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Send an actual thank you card/note (not an email), OR not send one at all.

I repeat, No email.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
E-mail seems to be most effective when it is sent within 24 hours of the interview. So, I think it would be better to send snail-mail at this point.

The basic outline is this:

Dear _____:
Express gratitude for the opportunity to meet/interview at ___ Med School.
Make a comment about a particular topic of conversation with the interviewer. Sum up the interview day and your continuing interest in the school. Express the hope that you will meet the interviewer again at a second look weekend or at the start of the school year.
Sincerely,

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
E-mail seems to be most effective when it is sent within 24 hours of the interview. So, I think it would be better to send snail-mail at this point.
Agreed. And I sent my "thank you's" after I know my app has already gone before committee to cut down on the feeling that I was hedging for them to write/say nice things. I wouldn't worry about being too late.

gary5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2003
Status (Visible)
Email is lame. Buy a nice professional thank you card and write a short message inside.

ItOnlyTakesOne

un.be.lieve.able
10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2007
Missouri
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Email is lame. Buy a nice professional thank you card and write a short message inside.

I second that. A handwritten note (which takes all of two minutes to write) looks much more personal and professional than an e-mail. E-mailing is lazy and the easy way out...write it down!!:idea:

Lux Et Veritas

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Email is not lame or any less professional. Having been an interviewer in both a corporate and academic (undergrad admissions) environment, it is completely acceptable to write email thank you notes. I have found it preferrable to recieve email thank you notes since 99% of my correspondences are via email. This is not to mention the temporal advantage to sending an email. And finally, who cares if it affects your application, it's just a nice thing to do. It boggles the mind this is even a topic of discussion.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Email is not lame or any less professional.
I don't think an emailed Thank You is lame, but it is less professional than a handwritten Thank You. More and more job applicants fire off emailed Thank You's, but they often read very form-y and were obviously done in that medium for the convenience of the sender. When you receive a written Thank You, you know the sender was polite enough to take the time. This is the same reason that you always handwrite thank you's for wedding gifts and whatnot.

Email is incredibly convenient, but the idea of a Thank You letter is not to use the most convenient method but to take the time. Nothing wrong with an emailed Thank You, but I wouldn't pretend that it has the same impact/class.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
E-mail or snail ... either is fine by me (I'm an interviewer) but I think that e-mail needs to be within 24 hours of the encounter... there really isn't much excuse to send it later than that and it loses some of its punch. Snail mail has an unavoidable delay attached so if it is a week or more before it appears in the mailbox no one is surprised.

Lux Et Veritas

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Again email is not less professional. It is often much more convenient for interviewers as well, a point which I rarely see made. It is a widely acceptable form of communication in business and I would imagine academics as well. The doesn't absolve the writer from being thougtful, genuine, and nonformulaic. An honest email conveys as much thought as a handwritten note. If an applicant were to handwrite the same message a 100 times, would it be more thoughtful because it was handwritten? Thus content over form, and since email is perfectly acceptable as a medium it is not less professional/impactful/meaningful/thoughtful/helpful/significant/powerful/considerate if the note conveys sincerity.

gary5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2003
Status (Visible)

OK, I'll improve my post. Email thank you for males, written thank you for females. Guys don't care, but females like surprises.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.