Thank you note for student interviewer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woolie

Intermountain West
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know, I know .... this topic has been discussed forever, but what about a thank you note for a student interviewer?

I have sent them before just to be formal and polite, but I really liked this last interviewer and I am actually wondering if it is still good policy? She was awesome and I don't want to seem like a big kiss *ss - it's such a thin line sometimes ...

Anyone else have thoughts on this anxiety producing problem of the day? :)

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you don't SOUND like a kiss ass in your note, I think it's fine. Dont' go on and on about how appreciative you were, how you can't think of going anywhere but there, how yout time together.... yadda yadda yadda. Keep it short and sweet, a paragraph or two at most.

Things to say:
1. Thanks
2. Put in a line in there regarding SOKMETHING you two talked about so they will remember you from all the others they interviewed.
3. Hope to hear from them soon/liked the school/etc.

The note can't hurt, so long as there's no apparent brown nosing. In my opinion, it's just good manners and I don't think you'll ever get REJECTED because you sent one.

Best of luck!

IMHO, send one if you had a student interview that you extraordinarily enjoyed. Otherwise it could seem like overt brown-nosing. I only sent on thank you note to my student interviewer at Pitt. The rest of mine have just kinda been formalities and/or nothing special.

tf

Members don't see this ad :)
I've sent 'em to all my student interviewers. Seemed like the polite thing to do...and as one current med student put it in a Q & A session, you don't want to be remembered as the one who doesn't send a thank you. :)

seems that most of my student interviewers have sat on the ad coms and have equal weight as faculty members. if you send thank you's to profs who spend their time interviewing you, I don't see why you wouldn't treat student interviewers the same.

Originally posted by drlexygoat
As long as you don't SOUND like a kiss ass in your note, I think it's fine. Dont' go on and on about how appreciative you were, how you can't think of going anywhere but there, how yout time together.... yadda yadda yadda. Keep it short and sweet, a paragraph or two at most.

Things to say:
1. Thanks
2. Put in a line in there regarding SOKMETHING you two talked about so they will remember you from all the others they interviewed.
3. Hope to hear from them soon/liked the school/etc.

The note can't hurt, so long as there's no apparent brown nosing. In my opinion, it's just good manners and I don't think you'll ever get REJECTED because you sent one.

Best of luck!

Very well put! Follow this advice to the "t".

Student interviewers still took the time to talk with you about the school: if you would send a thank you note to the faculty, send one to the student.

The students usually carry as much weight on the AD COM as the faculty, so a note is nice.

During discussion of your candidacy, the last thing you want to come up is "Dr. Smith, you received a thank you note for the interview? Thats odd, because he never sent me one, a lowly student."

Coops