thank you note to interviewer...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chinkemon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have his name, but i'm not sure where to send the note to exactly. i interviewed at georgetown this past tuesday. should i just send it to the gtown admissions office? i tried looking him (he's MS4 by the way) up in the directory but it only gave me his e-mail address. someone please help! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Ask him by e-mail for his address. I did this for one of my student interviewers. :)

Gtown specifically says to send them to the admissions office and they will give them to the interviewer. They want everything you send them on file. Kinda weird I think.

For almost every school, though, you can send thank yous "care of" the admissions office.

Members don't see this ad :)
Send your letter ASAP - some adcoms meet a few days after interviews, so you want to look appreciative as eary as possible. :)

Sending letters gets expensive! I wonder if it would be wrong to save the receipt for a thank you note and then take it to the school you eventually go to and ask for the price to be subtracted from your tuition.

Medikit said:
Is it unusual to send thank you notes?

Is it not polite if we send thank you notes by email?

The Remix said:
Sending letters gets expensive! I wonder if it would be wrong to save the receipt for a thank you note and then take it to the school you eventually go to and ask for the price to be subtracted from your tuition.

What? For $0.37???? :confused:

MadameLULU said:
What? For $0.37???? :confused:

[.37 + (1.00...or 5.00(depending on your choice of cards)) * # of interviewers/staff] * schools you interview at. :eek:

Attentive said:
[.37 + (1.00...or 5.00(depending on your choice of cards)) * # of interviewers/staff] * schools you interview at. :eek:

I was under impression that we can send in Thank You Letters, and not have to worry about cards. :confused:

get a pack of hallmark cards
they are in hallmark stores and OFTEN atleast 2-3 styles are on clearnce ( look in the sides of the card aisles)..but still cute ya know!
i got 18 sunny yellow cards (under $7) with a " kiddie drawn " angel on the front that says " if only my thank you sounded as good as it felt!"
ist blank inside and is 3inches by 5 inches with envelopes in the set

...now only is someone would interview me so i could send one :(

i think that, unless the admissions office wants everything to go through them, email thank yous are fine if you even send them at all. it's too time consuming to send letters via mail, not to mention expensive. cuz when you think about it you return home the night of your interview at the earliest. thank you note goes out the next day, sorted and processed that day or the next, shipped to wherever for 2 days or so, then processed and delivered. so it's about a 5 day ordeal minimum. that's long after the interviewer has written up their little report and might actually be after the admissions committee has met.

bottom line: don't worry about thank you notes too much, and email notes are fine imho.

you COULD overnight them
fedex exists for important processes such as this
(plz dont flame men LOL!.. im joking..but i still believe in the value of a good - old fashioned thank yous)

I'm sorry, I have to state my opinion, and I hope it doesn't offend anyone.

I think thank you notes for interviews are a stupid idea. I never sent a thankyou note to someone who was interviewing me for a job. What did the interviewer do for me but do their friggin job?

I say "thank you for taking the time to interview me" during the interview and thats it. If I get accepted, and I enjoyed the interview or they made me feel relaxed, then I might consider saying thank you in a note. It would also be gracious to send a thankyou even if you weren't accepted. But I think it might look a little meaningless to send it before you were accepted/rejected/waitlisted.

Do you think I made a mistake when I sent my thank you letters a week later after the interview and straight to the interviewers? By the way one of the two interviewers at that school had given me his business cards.