1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Thank you note to student interviewer

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by nitemagi, Oct 1, 2002.

1. nitemagi

nitemagi Senior Member
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So here's the problem. Went to school, interviewed with a student interviewer, then later with a faculty member. Now there were clearly two different vibes in these interviews, and I don't want to mess up the vibe with the student interviewer by sending something as formal as a thank you letter. I suppose I could tone it down to a thank you note, but I'm not certain. I definitely don't want to send one to the faculty but not the student. Thoughts, advice?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench
    7+ Year Member

Send them to both. I don't get the problem.

4. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks-you notes are not supposed to be formal. They're quick, handwritten, but heartfelt, thanks. I would think you could even email the student, but for the faculty member, I would go with hand-written.

5. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    just a little sidenote on this: at GW (you know, that school that will crucify you if you handwrite their secondary :rolleyes: ), they said since the admissions people are already getting so much freakin mail these days, its more helpful to send a email to express your gratitude. so i dont think sending a thank you email is in bad taste at all. just my .02$

6. nitemagi

nitemagi Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks everyone. I'll probably send a letter to both, making them both sincere, and not too formal.

7. applejuice1979

applejuice1979 Patiently Waiting Member
    7+ Year Member

I just wanted to ask why everyone sends thank you notes to interviewers? Is it to distinguish yourselves? If so, when everyone does it one applicant is not distinguished from another.

8. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    you send thank you notes b/c you're a nice, considerate person who was raised on the teachings of emily post and a socially conscious southern mother who will whoop you if she even thinks you haven't sent thank-you notes to interviewers.

or maybe that's just me...:laugh:

you don't send thank-you notes b/c you think it'll give you an edge or incur favor with the admissions people. you send them to thank your interviewer for their time in teaching you about the school. no ulterior motive, no playing games with the admissions people, just a simple, short, sincere note to say "i appreciate the time you gave to me. thank you."

9. SunnyS81

SunnyS81 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I send thank you notes to show my appreciate for their time. I paid $60 for my application fees. Since I doubt the physicians get any of it, I can at least show appreciation for their time. As one interviewer told me, "usually at this time of the week, I'm out playing golf." Now I hope I'm not dull to talk with, but I probably can't compete with a round of golf.

10. nitemagi

nitemagi Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I think it can be both, both a sincere thank you, and an opportunity to just re-emphasize your interest in the school.

11. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    yup, it sure can work both ways. just don't think that writing a thank you note is going to improve your chances. it might help, but it might not.

12. Camden772

Camden772 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

In a situation where you interview with more than one person it is perfectly acceptable and common practice in the professional world to send one thank you to either the person you connected with most or the most senior/high ranking person, and ask that s/he convey your thanks to the others you interviewed with. That's what I probably would have done in the original poster's situation. Send a hand written thank you to the student and ask him/her to convey my appreciation to the faculty member interviewer and the rest of the adcomm. This is the practice that I adopted in the legal world, and it's always worked fine.

13. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

But if you send the note directly to the interviewer, it shouldn't have to go through admissiions.

14. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yeah, but that interviewer is still getting pounded with paperwork if they are on the adcom (as was my interviewer, dean of admissions)

but in reality, i dont think the neglect of a thank you not is going to get you rejected or accepted. i just sent them cause i had a great session at both schools i've been to so far

15. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

I knew you'd be interested in discussing this at length, DW!! :p ;) :D