"Thank you" note

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paceac

paceac441
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if sending a "thank you" email to an interviewer is acceptable or does it look better to send a letter? My interviewer at VCU was great and I wanted to express my gratitude. I have her email address but not her mailing address.

Members don't see this ad.

send it however you want. It won't be affecting ur admissions chances, so if u want to e-mail, then e-mail.

is there anyway to get a mailing address?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cozmosis said:
Its acceptable, sure. Email should be fine.
I don't know who you are but i was talking to both people above.

Cozmosis said:
ditto.

also there are differing opinions on the effect of thank you notes/cards. in any case, if you cannot find their mailing address, an email is perfectly fine.

yourmom25 said:
ditto.

also there are differing opinions on the effect of thank you notes/cards. in any case, if you cannot find their mailing address, an email is perfectly fine.

Thank you notes have absolutely no impact on admissions, but are simply a matter of courtesy, and are generally expected of professionals and soon to be professionals. It thus makes sense to get used to the etiquette, and send them. If you are worried about it being something which will help or hurt your admissions chances, you are already missing the point. As for sending thank you emails, I doubt there is a hard and fast rule, but I personally would only use email if the interviewer has indicated that they are receptive to email, have given you a business card with an email address prominently on it, or otherwise indicated that they are facile with computers (Some of the older docs are not).

email is fine...

I've sent "thank you" emails to most of the places I've interviewed at...and have been accepted at two of the schools so far.....so I don't think it will have any negative bearing on your app....probably won't affect it...but doesn't hurt to send one.

JustR said:
is there anyway to get a mailing address?

Yes, call admissions and ask.

Or, just send your note care of the admissions office. That's what I usually do.

MrBurns10 said:
I think this exchange was quite possibly the strangest one I've ever seen on SDN.
If you find some of her older posts, you'll find that JustR is hilarious. Almost as funny as bloodyninja. She has this cool lyrical way of writing too. :thumbup: