Thank You Note

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twisteroats

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm probably being very paranoid about this. I had an interview last wednesday, and I sent a thank you note. It was returned because I had an outdated address. Is it too late to send one now? I don't want to think it was an afterthought, but is a late thank you note worse that none at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Resend. I think if you get it in the mailbox within 7 days, you are ahead of the 50-70% who don't send one at all.

Not that you are more likely to be admitted but you will demonstrate, as one former Dean liked to say, that you were "well raised".

What's the etiquette of sending a note? Do you send it directly to the interviewers?

Members don't see this ad :)
About 30-50% do send it directly to the interviewer. You can ask the interviewer for a business card at the time of the interview, use the school's online directory to locate an email address, or send it in care of the med admissions office.

About half of the thank you notes I received last season were email and the other half snail mail.

About half of the thank you notes I received last season were email and the other half snail mail.

For you, snail > email, or about the same?

No difference to me. Email always arrives sooner and at a time when the interview is more likely to be fresher in my memory. Snail mail is more attractive and fun (I got mail in my mailbox at work! )

E-mail is nice cuz you know it won't get lost, and it's quick.

Snail mail is cool, but I think I'm going to e-mail my interviewers instead. My handwriting is atrocious.

There are trade offs. E-mail sometimes allows for speed to be received before your interviewer actually submits their feedback on you. Snail seems more cozy to many, but won't affect your application at all. There's always stalking the person later, but apparently most interviewers don't appreciate that.

With email you can't really express yourself to the full extent. With snail you have the choice, feel and quality of the paper and the pen. Nice handwriting can go a long way. Just look at Obama's handwriting,
obama1-01.jpg

That's some neurosurgeon quality workmanship.

Resend. I think if you get it in the mailbox within 7 days, you are ahead of the 50-70% who don't send one at all.

Not that you are more likely to be admitted but you will demonstrate, as one former Dean liked to say, that you were "well raised".

Wow! 50-70% don't send one at all? I thought it was common practice. How much does it affect admissions, if at all? It just seems like the proper thing to do, no matter the case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! 50-70% don't send one at all? I thought it was common practice. How much does it affect admissions, if at all? It just seems like the proper thing to do, no matter the case.

It doesn't affect admissions unless it does so subliminally. Most interviewers have written a report of the interview before there would be time for a thank you letter to reach them. However, some interviewers are involved in later stages of the process as well and are called upon to vote on admission decisions. Recollection of a nice thank you from you could have a halo effect giving a positive glow to any recollection of you.

It doesn't affect admissions unless it does so subliminally. Most interviewers have written a report of the interview before there would be time for a thank you letter to reach them. However, some interviewers are involved in later stages of the process as well and are called upon to vote on admission decisions. Recollection of a nice thank you from you could have a halo effect giving a positive glow to any recollection of you.

I was just wondering what the chances are of an interviewer remembering you or your name? After interviewing x number of students, will they remember the email they received or the letter?

I was just wondering what the chances are of an interviewer remembering you or your name? After interviewing x number of students, will they remember the email they received or the letter?

If they remember you, then you made a good impression... if they don't remember you... meh...

if they remember you for the wrong reasons... better to not send thank you.

I keep a "file" on each person I interview and if I get a thank you, I make a note in the file.

And if she doesn't she stamps "REJECTED" on it a week later. :D

I've had 4 interviews (July 28th, August 5th, 8th and 11th) and in the mess of working a ton in between traveling I completely forgot to write thank-you notes and email them. Is it too late now to where they would open it, and very possibly not remember who I was exactly? I know many interviewers might be on the actual committee, and that it might not matter one ounce, but I would still like to send them just for appreciation's sake if it was not considered way overdue now.

Shouldn't they thank YOU for spending a ton of money on applications and travel for no guarantee? Really though, I never thought to do this.

Shouldn't they thank YOU for spending a ton of money on applications and travel for no guarantee? Really though, I never thought to do this.

Well you have to thank them because they see you as a potential student at their school :thumbup:

Shouldn't they thank YOU for spending a ton of money on applications and travel for no guarantee?

Anyone else could do the same instead of you, so to them it is not really a loss whether you are spending all this ton of money or someone else, they profit regardless.

You do the same when you apply for a job, except that you don't pay a fee to apply, but you do pay the cost of printing and mailing a resume.

When I address a group of candidates who have come for interview day, I do thank them for their time and for considering my school as they make their choice for where to continue their education. Up to the point that you get an offer the schools are doing the choosing but by Spring the shoe is on the other foot and each school is hoping that the most sought after applicants will choose them.