thank you notes after interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopkins2010

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize this is probably a petty thing, but thought I'd post it anyways.

I was planning on emailing and writing my interviewers, but should I also write a letter to the admissions committee? Neither of my interviewers is on the adcom.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by baylor21:
•I realize this is probably a petty thing, but thought I'd post it anyways.

I was planning on emailing and writing my interviewers, but should I also write a letter to the admissions committee? Neither of my interviewers is on the adcom.•

I am planning on sending thank you cards to my interviewers, not the adcom. I don't know why you would send it to the adcom - what are you thanking them for?! and i would send a thank you to be nice to my interviewers who had to listen to me talk about myself, even if they are not on adcom. :) Hope this gives insight into what others are doing!

I know some people who felt they had an exceptionally nice interview experience at certain schools sent an additional letter to the adcomm/admissions office. However, if that is not the case, I probably wouldn't send a letter to the entire committee -- I think it might be seen as trying too hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the places I interviewed at said to send the thank you letters to the Admissions office. Bottom line: ask the Admissions office personnel before you leave. I ended up sending a single thank you card that thanked both of my interviewers, my student tour guides and the Admissions staff I interacted with (i.e., it was not written to the Adcom, but they saw it). I have heard that unless you get your thank-you notes to the interviewers within a few days of the interview, it's probably too late to help them remember you when writing their report. However, if that is not part of your aim, then it's probably fine to write individual letters (regardless of time frames) directly to your interviewers (rather than to the admissions office). Hope that's helpful.

I personally think the whole thank you letter thing is another BS "legend" that we have to do in order for interviewers to remember you.
I am sure they do not really care about thank you letters. They understand we are appreciative and all that...but I highly doubt they sit down and read thank you letters...
maybe I am wrong...but oh well..

Hey Scooby,

I am not sure about medical schools, but when I interview high school seniors for my undergrad college, I really appreciate (but do not expect) thank you letters. If I receive it before I have sent in my recommendation, I try to use what they said in the letter to bolster my assessment of their committment/interest in my undergrad school. (I then attach the letter or a copy.) If it is after I've sent in the rec, I attach a small note reiterating my support for the candidate and send the letter in. These letters and my notes go to the Admissions Committee, and are placed in the applicant's file. Granted, it may be different for med school -- but as an interviewer, I do appreciate receiving them from people I interview. Hope this is helpful.

-- Becky

Hey y'all,
I went through the process this past year and I just want to say that sending a thank you is very important and can be very beneficial. I found that emailing folks as soon as I got home produced the best results and many interviewers even replied and thanked me for coming in...
Also, if the school or interviewer doesn't give you contact information, you can always write down your interviewer's name, go to their website, and do an email search. It worked everytime for me and I didn't have to waste money on cards or envelopes.
Good luck.

Well slap my a$s and call me Silly!

I guess I was wrong on that topic. I guess it does matter. I really would have assumed that interviewers would just see it as another way to kiss you know what. So what exactly do you include in the email or card thanking the interviewers? Is it short? Or is it semi-long? I have always sent letters thanking people for grad gifts, birthdays, etc etc...never really occurred to me to do the same for interviews.

I think that it might matter at some schools - but to be honest, I didnt write any thank you notes, and one school (I dont remember which one, but one of the Tx ones) actually told us NOT to. I still got in on at the time of match to my 1st choice school, so...

Star