1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Thank you notes again

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Apparition, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Apparition

Apparition 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I know this has been discussed but how long is a typical thank you letter to an interviewer. Right now I have about 3 sentences. It was an interesting interview but for some reason I can't come up with anything. I'm used to writing long post job interview letters but not med school. Sorry for the cheesy question but I've been staring at these sentences and I just want to go to sleep.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. justskipee

justskipee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I wrote little thank you cards, the ones that folded and were the size of a medium index card. Few sentences will be fine, just make sure you look like you nicely filled the writing area.

4. Overeducated

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    All of mine have just been about 3 or 4 sentences total. I thank them for their time, say I liked the school, blah blah, etc. It's extremely unlikely that whatever you write is going to alter the outcome--unless you tell them to go to hell, or something. ;)

5. werd

werd Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    yeah 3 sentences is fine. thank you cards are nice but they don't factor into the admissions process at all and aren't even necessarily expected. except at georgetown, where they count.

6. C.P. Jones

C.P. Jones Catface Majigger
    7+ Year Member

i have another question about my GW thank you notes.

i wrote one to each of my two inteviewers, and also want to write one to the person who did the actual inviting. matthew farber is the interview coordinator, but the invite letter says that the invitation came from the committee on admissions. i would usually do the letter to the dean, but i never saw the dean in the book like i have at my other interviews, and there was some female dean who i have no idea who it was for like 2 minutes. i'm thinking i should just write it to the adcom....any thoughts?

7. minnie2240

minnie2240 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What do you mean they count at georgetown????

Am i screwed because I sent my interviewer (a fourth yr student) a thank you email????

8. werd

werd Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    when i interviewed at georgetown 2 years ago, some lady came and talked to us before we interviewed and said that our thank you letters would be entered as part of our files before we were reviewed. frankly i thought it was sort of odd because everyone else said they were a courtesy only. if they didn't say that maybe it's not the policy anymore, it was sort of a unique policy anyway...

9. unicorn06

unicorn06 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

That doesn't mean they count at GW. At Penn, they also stick them in your files, but the interviewers write up the interview report before they even get the letter, so it really doesn't matter. That info came from the words of a former student adcom member who I sat with at lunch.

10. C.P. Jones

C.P. Jones Catface Majigger
    7+ Year Member

last year after visiting the dean at uconn later to go over my file, i saw my thank you note in there...i was quite shocked

they probably throw anything you send them in your file....not like they're going to hang it on their wall, but when reviewing your file it may be nice for the adcom to see that you did send a thank you note, but i doubt they read it over again as part of the decision

11. SmokeyBear

SmokeyBear Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

HMmmm...If thank you notes are written to interviewers(who have different addresses than the admissions office) and it ends up your profile does that mean the interviewers put it you file???

12. abcehmu

abcehmu Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

as I found out the hard way.....whoops.......oh well.