Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Thank you notes and LOI questions!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by karirunner, Dec 18, 2005.

1. karirunner

karirunner Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    These are probably silly questions but...when you write your interviewers a thank you note is it best to do it in the form of a letter or is a tasteful thank you note acceptable? Also, what goes in a letter of intent besides "your school is my number one choice and if you let me in, I'm going there"? (Also, what does "bump" mean?) Any advice y'all could give would be great!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. speranza

speranza Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

In the letter of intent I sent to my top choice school, I included what you said and also had two paragraphs about why I thought the school was a good fit for me, what I would contribue to the school, and an update on my activities.

4. phenylalanine

phenylalanine Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

do u send one in after you get waitlisted from the school you really want to attend?? or do you send one in after an interview and waiting on the school's decision?

5. argonana

argonana SDN Donor
    10+ Year Member

I am wondering the same thing. Also, on average, are they that effective?

6. tacrum43

tacrum43 Behold the mighty echidna
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    This has been discussed at length in some other threads, and the conclusion was that an ideal thank you note would: Be sent promptly following the interview, be personal and thoughtful, be neatly hand written in blue or black ink, and on a quality blank card or on one with your school's seal on the front.

As for the letter of intent, the basic contents are what you said, and while you might explain the specifics of why they are in fact your first choice, you should probably limit it to one page. You can always send more letters later if you have more to say. Plus, you might want to save some things to say for later (assuming you're hanging out on the waitlist).

Oh yes, and "bump" is a term used when someone wants to bring that thread back to the top of the forum to get more responses, etc.

7. speranza

speranza Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I have no idea if they're effective, but I don't see how it could hurt. I decided to send mine pre-decision because if I am on the border of either accept/waitlist or waitlist/reject, the LOI MAY push me over into the higher category. I'm sure the LOI carries more weight at some schools at others, I just hope my school is one that really considers it. :)

argonana, just out of curiosity, what does the quote in your sig say? my spanish isn't good enough to fully translate it...

8. argonana

argonana SDN Donor
    10+ Year Member

haha yeah, i couldn't come up with an eloquent enough translation. basically, it says, "when someone learns, she becomes more aware that she doesn't have to be like the rest of the world."