Thank you notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nadica31

Future Oncologyst
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After the interview, do you actually email your interviewer with a thank you note or is it better to write one and mail it in a regular mail? and one more thing, what if you are flying out and you don't really have email access, should you still write a thank you note even after few days(by the time you get back). Its gonna be my first interview as well and im freaking out about any little detail :confused:
Nadia

Members don't see this ad.

nadica31 said:
After the interview, do you actually email your interviewer with a thank you note or is it better to write one and mail it in a regular mail? and one more thing, what if you are flying out and you don't really have email access, should you still write a thank you note even after few days(by the time you get back). Its gonna be my first interview as well and im freaking out about any little detail :confused:
Nadia

Thank you notes are not needed, and will not affect your standing.

yea, i agree that it's not need and will not affect your standing, but it's just common courtesy imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
nadica31 said:
Nadia

WHy not bring some nice stationary/a card with you on interview day and write and send it at the end of the day?

you are not joking?

nope no joke. i've never sent one in. but then again, i haven't gotten into harvard.

nadica31 said:
you are not joking?

Not at all. I did that after my 1st interview (wrote teh letter and mailed it from the airport) and was accepted and I did it yesterday at another interview. I think it's nice because everything is fresh in your mind and the interviewer doesn't have to wait a week and think about all of the faces trying to figure out who you are when they receive your note. You are a little more fresh in his or her mind. I do it not because I think it affects my chances of being accepted but because I have always had a thing for speedy thank yous if they are sincere. If you're writing thank you notes just as a formality then it's fine to wait a bit on it. None of this is some secret social rule -- Just my own preference.

I don't send them. I thank them when the interview is over. The interviewer probably could care less, since most are docs and busy. I still have been accepted at schools anyways. Just my 2 cents.

GOBUCKY!

nadica31 said:
Nadia

At UPenn, I remember them telling us at the end of the day, "Here's where you send your thank-you notes."

That took the guesswork out of it!

Sparky Man said:
At UPenn, I remember them telling us at the end of the day, "Here's where you send your thank-you notes."

We get so many "please let me into your school oh and btw thanks" letters that it's good that they do that, since it appears they actually might be interested in seeing them. If you send them to your interviewers, they go into the circular file.