Thank you SDN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nolegal10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have been a lurker of this board for the past year or so so I decided to be less of a creep and actually create an account finally. Today I made a big decision to withdraw from my PsyD program, and a part of my decision came from discussions from this board. I had just finished my first year at Argosy's PsyD program in Schaumburg, or as they like to call it, Illinois School of Professional Psychology.

Before enrolling I had read all about its reputation in the field of psychology(in here and other places) and its quality of education, being a diploma mill, etc. I kept telling myself that knowing this info didn't bother me but I just couldn't shake it. I wasn't learning much, wasn't being challenged, and just didn't feel like the staff really cared or got to know their students. Plus, there were a couple people in my cohort that I can't even believe made it through undergrad let alone a graduate program. Granted, I also know several intelligent gals as well. Anywho, all that plus the idea of my diploma saying Argosy University just didn't sound ideal to me so I decided to leave the program. I had read around different threads here and they have also been helpful, so I'm happy to join this forum. As for now, my plans are still kinda scattered. I am looking for research opportunities, but since I'm not in school anymore I'm not sure how to go about getting involved. I'm not sure the exact point of this thread, but just wanted to say that y'all rock :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I have been a lurker of this board for the past year or so so I decided to be less of a creep and actually create an account finally. Today I made a big decision to withdraw from my PsyD program, and a part of my decision came from discussions from this board. I had just finished my first year at Argosy's PsyD program in Schaumburg, or as they like to call it, Illinois School of Professional Psychology.

Before enrolling I had read all about its reputation in the field of psychology(in here and other places) and its quality of education, being a diploma mill, etc. I kept telling myself that knowing this info didn't bother me but I just couldn't shake it. I wasn't learning much, wasn't being challenged, and just didn't feel like the staff really cared or got to know their students. Plus, there were a couple people in my cohort that I can't even believe made it through undergrad let alone a graduate program. Granted, I also know several intelligent gals as well. Anywho, all that plus the idea of my diploma saying Argosy University just didn't sound ideal to me so I decided to leave the program. I had read around different threads here and they have also been helpful, so I'm happy to join this forum. As for now, my plans are still kinda scattered. I am looking for research opportunities, but since I'm not in school anymore I'm not sure how to go about getting involved. I'm not sure the exact point of this thread, but just wanted to say that y'all rock :)

If you don't feel like your are learning, being challenged, and frankly, just generally overwhelmed during your first year, then they aren't doing it right. :laugh:

I find it hard to understand how this could really be though? I mean, to have first years literally feel like they are not learning anything or being challenged, I would have to wonder what on earth the syllabi look like?! It seems to me a professor would actually have to TRY to do this vs the other just because of the sheer volume and complexity of clinical science. Would you want to tell us more about this?

Last edited:
If you don't feel like your are learning, being challenged, and frankly, just generally overwhelmed during your first year, then they aren't doing it right. :laugh:

I find it hard to understand how this could really be though? I mean, to have first years literally feel like they are not learning anything or being challenged, I would have to wonder what on earth the syllabi look like?! It seems to me a professor would actually have to TRY to do this vs the other just because of the sheer volume and complexity of clinical science. Would you want to tell us more about this?

Some of my classmates felt like they were learning. Perhaps it was different for me because I came in with a M.A. degree so I had a comparison. I had a wonderful experience during my M.A. program, so I guess I was comparing the lack of wonderfullness to that...which I don't think is a bad thing.

Members don't see this ad :)

Sorry about the first year at Argosy - but congrats on not falling into the 'sunk cost' fallacy and instead trying to get things right the first time. I can't imagine you won't regret your decision (e.g., pulling out of such a disastrously sub-optimal program).

Sorry about the first year at Argosy - but congrats on not falling into the sunk cost' fallacy and instead trying to get things right the first time. I can't imagine you won't regret your decision (e.g., pulling out of such a disastrously sub-optimal program).

I lied. The sunk cost fallacy was something I did learn about! But thanks, I don't regret it