thank you!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predental

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice, smile_doctor!
BTW, how did you find your intern job in a general dentistry?

It seems to me that most dentists don't like to have a student in the clinic.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Predental,

I'm glad that you found the advice useful. I actually found the practice through a friend. Several years ago, I was working part time at a place similar to Mail Boxes Etc. at which I became friendly with my regular customers. They knew that I was in college and wanted to go to dental school and I expressed to them that I needed to find a practice to intern with. One of my customers simply asked her dentist and he agreed that I could come in and observe. Luckily enough, there were 4 dentists in this practice and three of the four had taught at the dental school at Emory University before it closed several years ago. As practitioners and former teachers, they were thrilled when someone took an active interest in the profession. They told me that I was welcome to stop by anytime, and as an eager predental, I began to make regular visits (1 to 2 days per week) to see the different procedures. When they saw how dedicated I was, they began to let me assist chairside. They simply asked their regular assistant to stand over my shoulder and quietly instruct me on what to do. Eventually, I was assisting in everything from basic restorations to root canals. They'd given me some of their old dental smocks to where while I was in the office, but I showed further commitment by buying 2 pair of scrubs which I wore on my visits to the office. Taking me under their wings, the dentists soon started calling me to assist on days when one of the regular assistants was out sick. I thought that this was great and they made it even better by paying me for it. This lasted for about a semester, but gradually, my visits became less frequent as my schedule became more rigid.

So, that's how I did it. In any form of business,
advertising your product starts with you. Be sure to let as many people as you come in contact with know what you do (or what you'd like to do).
You'd be surprised at how many opportunities that this will open up for you.

If you don't have a connection to a dental practice (consider your personal dentist first), then create one. Start calling general dental practices and let them know that you'd like to "get a closer look" at dentistry. If you don't get a response this way, then start going in to dental practices and expressing your interest to the office manager in person. If you let them know that you're applying to dental school, you are bound to find a practice that is willing to give you some shadow time. Don't get discouraged if you get turned down the first few times. Some dental practices, especially very busy ones, are not always willing to help.

Good luck,
Smile_doc ;)

Thank you for sharing your experience!
How lucky you are~!
I hope I can find such a good chance.
:)