1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

thank you's for interviewers

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by alshepard, Oct 9, 2000.

1. alshepard

alshepard Member
    10+ Year Member

I've heard that I should send thank you's after my interviews. Is that true and if so, do I send a card or a business style letter? Do I send it to the individual interviewers or the admissions committee? I would really appreciate any help you can give. There is no pre-med committee at my school so I have been relying on the kindness of strangers.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Methuselah

Methuselah Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Send it to the individual interviewers. I've been using thank-you cards that are blank on the inside, and writing my thanks by hand.

4. Eric

Eric Member
    10+ Year Member

Is it really necessary to write a thank you letter. I mean what happens if you don't? Or what happens if you do for that matter?

5. alshepard

alshepard Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks, Methuselah. Are you an older non-trad? Just a guess from the user name.

6. Methuselah

Methuselah Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Roger that, Alshepard, I'm a non-trad.

In response to Eric's question, it's a long-established 'courtesy' to thank your interviewer. Some people think it goes in your file, I don't know about that. Best case, they may remember you when it comes down to picking applicants for their school. Worst case, you're out a dollar for the card and postage.

7. tristate

tristate Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I say write the card. It's just a common courtesy and a nice thing to do!

------------------
    And the blessings just keep coming!

8. 1918

1918 Member
    10+ Year Member

You most certainly should write a thank you for each interview. My advice is to write the individual(s) who interviewed you, and to type a formal letter. With most job interviews this is the appropriate protocol, and a med school interview is at least as important as a job interview. Make no mistake, the vast majority of schools will file the letter and it is an opportunity for your to make another impression.]

Good luck.