thank you's for interviewers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alshepard

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that I should send thank you's after my interviews. Is that true and if so, do I send a card or a business style letter? Do I send it to the individual interviewers or the admissions committee? I would really appreciate any help you can give. There is no pre-med committee at my school so I have been relying on the kindness of strangers.

Members don't see this ad.

Send it to the individual interviewers. I've been using thank-you cards that are blank on the inside, and writing my thanks by hand.

Is it really necessary to write a thank you letter. I mean what happens if you don't? Or what happens if you do for that matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Methuselah. Are you an older non-trad? Just a guess from the user name.

Roger that, Alshepard, I'm a non-trad.

In response to Eric's question, it's a long-established 'courtesy' to thank your interviewer. Some people think it goes in your file, I don't know about that. Best case, they may remember you when it comes down to picking applicants for their school. Worst case, you're out a dollar for the card and postage.

I say write the card. It's just a common courtesy and a nice thing to do!

------------------
And the blessings just keep coming!

You most certainly should write a thank you for each interview. My advice is to write the individual(s) who interviewed you, and to type a formal letter. With most job interviews this is the appropriate protocol, and a med school interview is at least as important as a job interview. Make no mistake, the vast majority of schools will file the letter and it is an opportunity for your to make another impression.]

Good luck.