Thanking my Letter Writers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joker937

UCLA SOD 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How can I thank my letter writers? I don't know if I should send them an email or create them a nice thank-you card. But how do you get them the thank-you card? One of my professors is retired and doesn't have an office at my school anymore. For the other two, I don't know when they are ever in their office since they are not teaching this summer. Do you just email them and ask for their address like this:

Dear Dr. ________,

Hello! Thank you, etc. etc. I was wondering if you could share your address with me?

Do I need to state why I want their address? What if they find it an invasion of privacy?

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, I have never thought of sending thank you to them. But if you want you can just e-mail them if this is the way that you usually use to contact them. I think it would be silly if you send them email saying " send me your address so that I can tell you thank you".
Professors usually don't like to give their personal address or phone to students anyway.

Shoot them an email thanking them. Or send it to their university mailbox. Or stop by in person and thank them again.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I thanked them when they agreed. Then I sent a really nice letter once I got accepted. I think they really enjoyed getting the letter and hearing how the whole process went. They all reached out to me and thanked me for the nice letter. :)

I will be sending out handwritten thank you cards with a small gift (gift certificate etc. something along those lines).

Reactions: 1 user
I offered to take them out for lunch. Lunch with older professionals is fun!

How can I thank my letter writers? I don't know if I should send them an email or create them a nice thank-you card. But how do you get them the thank-you card? One of my professors is retired and doesn't have an office at my school anymore. For the other two, I don't know when they are ever in their office since they are not teaching this summer. Do you just email them and ask for their address like this:

Dear Dr. ________,

Hello! Thank you, etc. etc. I was wondering if you could share your address with me?

Do I need to state why I want their address? What if they find it an invasion of privacy?
Email is best. Like Rekker said, you can drop it off their university mailbox.

However, I personally would not say anything until you get that coveted acceptance letter. I'm personally thinking of leaving like a $20 gift card to their favorite place or something, IF I get that acceptance!

Also, how would you know that your recommenders wrote you a generic or fantastic LOR?

But before I stop rambling, I understand the whole courtesy thing about saying thanks, but the reality is that these professors have likely written hundreds (maybe thousands if they've been teaching for 40+ years?) of LOR's.