Thanking people who wrote your LOR's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spacecadet

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what you guys did to thank the people who wrote letters for you? I want to do something nice, like a small gift, but everything I think of seems cheesy.

Note with small gift? Note only? What did you do?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I just wrote them a thank you email, expressing my deepest thanks, I dont like to kiss up too much, so thats why i didnt give them a gift, it seemed a bit over the top to me.

I sent emails. Just make sure they aren't carbon copies.

Hoovah

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent out thank you cards. A few sentences, short and sweet, but personal about each one. I have seen people give gifts, but I think those were special circumstances (very close with the prof, etc).

Perhaps a major faux pas on my part, I just said, "Thank you." :D

A written thank you is very appropriate (either an email or a card). Most importantly, be sure to let your recommenders know where you get in. They really are interested (well, most are).

It is absolutely neccessary that you send in a thank you note in one form or the other. As for letting the writer know where you got in...you could do it. I was burned during the LOR process so I didn't, but if what happened didn't happen, I would have done so.

One I gave a gift of garlic. (Strange I know but we raise garlic on our farm and I had worked closely for two years with this prof. and was very close to him so in this case knowing him like I did, it was appropriate!). Another I gave a verbal thank you, and a third I sent a card.