Thanking people who wrote your LOR's?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by spacecadet, Jun 17, 2002.

1. spacecadet

spacecadet Senior Member

Just curious what you guys did to thank the people who wrote letters for you? I want to do something nice, like a small gift, but everything I think of seems cheesy.

Note with small gift? Note only? What did you do?

Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. saimabean5

saimabean5 Member

I just wrote them a thank you email, expressing my deepest thanks, I dont like to kiss up too much, so thats why i didnt give them a gift, it seemed a bit over the top to me.

4. Hoo\/er

Hoo\/er if($profit){replicate();}

I sent emails. Just make sure they aren't carbon copies.

Hoovah

5. KyGrlDr2B

I sent out thank you cards. A few sentences, short and sweet, but personal about each one. I have seen people give gifts, but I think those were special circumstances (very close with the prof, etc).

6. barb

barb Senior Member

Perhaps a major faux pas on my part, I just said, "Thank you." :D

7. Cydney Foote

Cydney Foote Senior Member

A written thank you is very appropriate (either an email or a card). Most importantly, be sure to let your recommenders know where you get in. They really are interested (well, most are).

8. Acro Yali

Acro Yali Senior Member

It is absolutely neccessary that you send in a thank you note in one form or the other. As for letting the writer know where you got in...you could do it. I was burned during the LOR process so I didn't, but if what happened didn't happen, I would have done so.

9. CD

CD Senior Member

One I gave a gift of garlic. (Strange I know but we raise garlic on our farm and I had worked closely for two years with this prof. and was very close to him so in this case knowing him like I did, it was appropriate!). Another I gave a verbal thank you, and a third I sent a card.