Thanking Pre-health advisors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikeonline

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently visited my pre-health advisor to get a recommendation letter... it was the second time I spoke to her. The recommendation letter was for a summer internship program. She has my recommendation letter ready at the front desk to pick up. I want to build a better relationship with her since I know I’m going to need more letters as I apply to other programs and schools later. I want to know from yall if it is appropriate to give her a thank you card, like many of you give to med or dental school interviewers... except I would be thanking her for the recommendation. And if I do give her a card, would it seem too much like as if i'm brown nosing...? Any quality help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

speaking of this, do we need to ask for a different letter for reapplicants?

SZHAO... you don't waste any time hijacking a thread, do you? :rolleyes:

OP...I don't have a good answer for you on this because I have yet to thank LOR writers, but I am the type that would head for a card and some sort of edible thing. Perhaps it would be seen as brown-nosing but after the letter written and in hand what good would brown-nosing do? So, go with your gut. Do what you WANT to do not what you feel is not going to lead to a thought of brown-nosing.

Just my 1.5 cents.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
SZHAO... you don't waste any time hijacking a thread, do you? :rolleyes:

OP...I don't have a good answer for you on this because I have yet to thank LOR writers, but I am the type that would head for a card and some sort of edible thing. Perhaps it would be seen as brown-nosing but after the letter written and in hand what good would brown-nosing do? So, go with your gut. Do what you WANT to do not what you feel is not going to lead to a thought of brown-nosing.

Just my 1.5 cents.:)

Thanks for your response... your right.. i should go with my gut feeling rather than over thinking the situation. I believe the polite thing to do would be to give a thank you card... to show my appreciation for the time spent on writing a recommendation... though it is her job. This is no different than thanking the starbucks person for the coffee made... its just common courtesy.

you guys are so lucky you have pre-health advisors at your school, my school doesnt have anyone that actually can tell me anything.........the last time i talked to the "so called" advisor, she tried to force me to drop chemistry because she said medical schools do not require chemistry and asked why i was wasting my time taking chemistry.........that's how bad the so called advisors at my school are, thank god for this website and forums........:D

I sent each of my letter writers a thank you card, and three of them actually took the time to stop me and tell me how much they appreciated it. My advisor gave me a hug and told me how much it really meant to him. So I think you should go for it; it's not brown-nosing if you're genuinely thankful, which I assume you are!! :)

All I did was send a thank you email to the prehealth advisor after I was accepted to med school.

Defiitely give them a thankyou card. It's common courtesy and not weird. It's not brown-nosing because you already got the letter from them. They won't forget it, and if you need their help again later on, they will be more likely to remember you.

I usually like to include updates and stuff in my thank you notes, so what I do is give my letter writers an informal "thank you" either by e-mail or verbally. Like, "I got your letter, thanks so much!" A couple of weeks later, after I find out about the scholarship/program/school, I'll write a formal thank you, saying, "I was fortunate enough to be accepted/Unfortunately, I wasn't selected, I really appreciate your time, etc." I usually send it with a small box of chocolates or something, but I just think it's nice to let them know how things went.

I usually ask for a followup on the process, and I usually get a thank you card or email.