Thanks, but no thanks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

La Miraflorina

Dental Diva
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the ettiquette for politely declining an offer of admission? Is a personal phone call in order? A letter?

I really did love all the schools I visited and I don't want to burn any bridges just in case I want to apply to specialty programs there in the future.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

That's a good question.. I've been wondering the same thing recently.

So you ended up choosing Maryland, eh? Very good choice! :)

Most schools would ask you to send a letter. Preferably one that is polite and to the point. Dont forget to thank them for the offer.
PS: don't misspell school! I did for one of mine, :oops: . Had Scool :p Very embarrassing INDEED. LOL! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on doing traditional, snail-mail, real-stamp letters. I'm somewhat romantic in my ideas of social etiquette, and I just figured it felt right! Also, it shows that you really did respect their schools. But when I sent out e-mails with my new address, they all responded and seemed friendly about keeping contact that way. So either way should be good!

I imagine phone is okay, but it might be unecessarily awkward for you....

Would the same methods above apply, even after you sent in a deposit?... perhaps if you hear from another school that you decide to attend, after you sent in an admissions deposit for a different school? We are allowed to withdraw from a school even after sending in an offer acceptance letter and deposit, correct?

jaerob said:
That's a good question.. I've been wondering the same thing recently.

So you ended up choosing Maryland, eh? Very good choice! :)
WOHOOO. MARYLAND RULES!! I would personally call up other schools and thank them for admitting me, but say, "I decided to go to University of Maryland." ^_^

LadyxJC said:
Would the same methods above apply, even after you sent in a deposit?... perhaps if you hear from another school that you decide to attend, after you sent in an admissions deposit for a different school? We are allowed to withdraw from a school even after sending in an offer acceptance letter and deposit, correct?

yes you can withdraw from schools even after you have paid the deposit. However, you won't get your deposit back. People do it all the time so schools expect it.

La Miraflorina said:
What is the ettiquette for politely declining an offer of admission? Is a personal phone call in order? A letter?

I really did love all the schools I visited and I don't want to burn any bridges just in case I want to apply to specialty programs there in the future.

Any advice?

I did it over the Phone and they were happy to do it. They expect this. Some schools may tell you to e-mail sombody on the staff but most will be happy to do it over the phone.