Thanks to all at SDN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockaway

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting med school this January at St. George's. This has been a dream of mine for a very, very long time. I was on two waiting lists last spring for two schools on the East Coast until the very end. I didn't get in, but decided not to give up. I realize that some who read this may look down upon anyone attending this school. I've been an emergency room nurse for quite a while....a long time ago while working in NYC, there was a particular intern one year who stood out from the rest. She was bright and knew her stuff like all of the others, but she was very down to earth, put patients and their families at ease, joked with the staff, was never rude or obnoxious to anyone, and worked very hard taking care of her patients, not to impress anyone...but because she actually cared about them....it turned out she had gone to school at St. George's....up until then I had never heard of the school...and I've yet to meet a med student, intern or resident with her enthusiasm and joy toward medicine. I was fortunate to have lunch with her a few months ago, she is in a thriving internal medicine practice in New York and loves her work.
This has been a very long road for me with quite a few twists and turns. But!! here I go!!
I want to thank all of you for the past few years of encouragement, kind words, and your honesty.....it helped me a great deal, more than you might know. To those of you who feel discouraged, DON'T give up, if you truly want to be a doctor, just keep going.
Good luck to all in this most "interesting" journey!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It will be an honor to call you Doctor and colleague.

I truly wish you the best.

:clap: :D :clap: :D :clap: :D

good for you....the road is long and hard....best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats and good luck on your journey to becoming a doctor! Don't worry about what other people think; all that matters is that you are going to get to do what you have worked so hard to attain. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

what you wrote really made me respect and admire you. i admire your dedication to become a physician. i respect your persistence and action to make your dream cometrue.
you have my best wish and my blessing.
i pray that you will one day become a good doctor, one that your people will be proud of.

gooloogooloo

so happy for you, rockaway!! and i admire your outlook on medicine and your dedication. all the best, and keep us posted on how you're doing. :clap: :clap:

Congrats.:clap:

I told myself the same thing when I was applying. I thought I would apply at least three times to allopathic programs, then I would continue to apply to allopathic and osteopathic schools until I would get in. Your persistance has now earned you a medical school. Good job.

Originally posted by cabruen
It will be an honor to call you Doctor and colleague.

I truly wish you the best.

:clap: :D :clap: :D :clap: :D

Its not where you go to school that matters, its what you do after you go to school. Good luck!!!!

thanks for the good thoughts, yes this is a tough, competitive road....but it's nice to know there are those whom I've never even met in person who are wishing me well
again...good luck to all, hang in there, nothing is impossible
Patty

I have a sister that's an RN working in Chicago and she loves the interns that graduated from St.George. She says they're smart and had no problem getting a residency.

Hey, Rockaway !

Long time !

Congratulations and good luck !

A big, hearty Congratulations to you rockaway/Patty! Your and the intern's story really inspired me. Good luck in med school!!!! Go get 'em girl!!! :) :cool: :clap:

I've worked with lots of Carribean grads and they run the gamut just like anyone else: *******es, competent, really smart. I've never had a patient ask where I went to med school unless I was talking about med school. You'll have MD after your name like everyone else.

Good luck on the residency/re-entry process in 3 years.

mike