Thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MelAnn

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am the poster of the message "Should I Even Try?" and am writing in response to the people who have offered advice. Thank you very much for your time and support. I really appreciate the feedback and am definitely going to give it my all. Are there any particular schools that accept most of their class out of the in-state applicants other than TCOM?
Thanks!
MelAnn

Members don't see this ad.

Good! I'm glad you are going for it!! I wish you the best. E-mail me at [email protected] if I can ever help you out in anyway.

Gregory Gulick
http://www.osteopathic.com/gregory

MelAnn,

All of the state-university osteopathic med schools take a majority of people from in-state: Michigan State, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New York College of Osteo. Med, Oklahoma State, Univ. of New England. It is very competitive to get into these schools if you are not a state resident, I got interviews from all the "competitive" private DO med schools but have not heard from any of the state-oriented schools (I sent my applications in very early in September). But it is interesting, I have decided to go to Western Univ. of Health Sciences / College of Osteo. Med. of the Pacific and the 1997 stats said that in-staters (I'm from California) acceptance rates were twice that of out-of-staters. So it depends on the schools and the residency status of the applicants for that particular year. That is why I feel that certain schools (Chicago, Arizona, Univ. of Health Sciences, Kirksville) have such high application numbers because people know they stand a better chance getting in out-of-state . Hope this helps, I think you should give it your best shot since you seem determined to be a doctor. If you can, get a copy of Robert Marion, M.D.'s book called "The Intern Blues". It chronicles 3 interns lives at Albert Einstein affiliated-hospitals. My favorite intern was Amy, she had her daughter in the 3rd year of med school and did her residency while raising her child with her husband.

Take care,

EDGAR