That delicate family-commute-school-work balance...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImaJerseyGirl

WesternU CVM c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
have him come upstairs with you one night, make him sit in the corner, and read all your studies out loud to him from 7pm to 1am one night. i bet he'll quit complaining ;)

Just hand him a foot-high set of flashcards and have him quiz you for an hour or two.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually those ideas are both decent ones, I think. He really needs to understand what you're going through with your studies, and having him "help out" might do that a little bit better as well as technically being time spent with him (until he can't take it anymore). ;)

Dunno how effective it will be for you, though...

I'm sorta in the same boat, more or less. I commute over an hour to school and back, via public transportation. I'm taking 15 credits, two of which are sciences at school. Two parents who work full time, two dogs (that are solely "mine") and two cats. Also boyfriend that demands attention. I work one day only on Saturdays but its enough to wipe me out for the night. I mostly feel guilty cause of my dogs, my parents will help out with them a bit but they bitch that i dont spend enough time with them. In fact i devote as much as i can usually. Heh its hard to be so stretched out :p

Personally, I'm very fortunate to have a family that understands this really well (not to mention that I've always been extremely independent and since high school graduation have not even lived in the same state as them).

I'm also lucky in that my SO is a graduate student as well and understands the considerable demands placed on my time, and that he is not my number 1 priority.

I think the key is in just gently reminding/helping your dad to really, really understand what your responsibilities are with respect to your studies.That goes for anyone else who may feel that way as well - they likely just don't fully understand and feel like you are "spurning" them for something unnecessary/unimportant.

I'm sorta in the same boat, more or less. I commute over an hour to school and back, via public transportation. I'm taking 15 credits, two of which are sciences at school. Two parents who work full time, two dogs (that are solely "mine") and two cats. Also boyfriend that demands attention. I work one day only on Saturdays but its enough to wipe me out for the night. I mostly feel guilty cause of my dogs, my parents will help out with them a bit but they bitch that i dont spend enough time with them. In fact i devote as much as i can usually. Heh its hard to be so stretched out :p

builds character ;)

have you tried getting your dogs to flash the cards for you?

and i don't envy you guys. especially these few months. BUT, at least you're not in vet school yet ;)

So true. You think you have it bad now :)