that interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

internet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In several of my interviews I have been asked "what will you do if you don't get into med school?", usually towards the end of the interview. does this mean the interviewer had already made up his mind to reject me? has anyone had this question and been accepted? I'm still waiting to get in somewhere

Members don't see this ad.

the only time i was asked that i had already received an acceptance, so I was able to answer: i am definitely going. later on i wish i hadn't said that. since that particular interview was my first choice. neurotically i feel like advertising my prior acceptance may not have been as useful an answer as what perhaps they were looking for. who the heck knows what they are looking for tho.

but honestly... i think its nuts to think they ask you they because they want to reject you. kind of a standard sort of question. however, i haven't got a response from that interview yet. yikes. it has been a LONG time and they are ROLLING...

:luck:

internet said:
In several of my interviews I have been asked "what will you do if you don't get into med school?", usually towards the end of the interview. does this mean the interviewer had already made up his mind to reject me? has anyone had this question and been accepted? I'm still waiting to get in somewhere

No, i think this is just a standard question to see how well you have thought out the future. At one interview I was asked this question and then later on the same guy said, "well, i'm sure you will have multiple acceptances just based on the fact that you are interviewing here... blah blah, we only interview the best... blah blah". I was also asked this question at the places that I was accepted to as well, come to think of it.

Have a beer and don't worrry about it! :thumbup:

Yeah I think it is a standard question to ask interviewees...I think it gives the interviewer a gauge of how bad you want it, and how dedicated you are to the joining the profession of medicine. Im sure they dont want to hear someone say, "Well, if I dont get in this time around, I'm going for a new career" or something like that. They want to make sure you are totally dedicated, and are doing it for the right reasons.