That one person who shouldn't be here (share sentiments)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mahoning

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, just because we have entered MD school, will soon become professionals responsible for the care of other human beings, and are expected to operate 100% academically, socially, and ethically all times....we still have that one schmuck.

You know him/her. They were in your dissection group, high fiving the cadaver (or in my case, playing catch with an effing kidney). They don't attend class much and brag about it, and when they do come they sleep. They go to meetings for the pizza, lie about their test scores, and consistently act like they have not achieved senior status at a high school level.

They can be seen making comments like "Imagine *that* drug cocktail," "I'm a doctor (during their 1st year at a bar)" and swearing profusely.

They give the profession a shoddy name, and really should be removed.

Any good stories of complete inadequacy?

Members don't see this ad.

You know him/her. They were in your dissection group, high fiving the cadaver (or in my case, playing catch with an effing kidney). They don't attend class much and brag about it, and when they do come they sleep. They go to meetings for the pizza, lie about their test scores, and consistently act like they have not achieved senior status at a high school level.

Wow. You just described me.
Do you really believe people fitting that description "give the profession a shoddy name" and "should be removed"?
A bigger chunk of practicing physicians fit that description when they were in school than you think.

So, just because we have entered MD school, will soon become professionals responsible for the care of other human beings, and are expected to operate 100% academically, socially, and ethically all times....we still have that one schmuck.

They can be seen making comments like "Imagine *that* drug cocktail," "I'm a doctor (during their 1st year at a bar)" and swearing profusely.

With all due respect, "that one schmuck" may be the guy who expects everyone to "operate 100% academically, socially, and ethically all times", whatever that means.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah seriously man relax. Unless this person is hurting someone or negatively effecting your studies then no harm no foul. Thats just my opinion tho and I'm a pretty easy going sarcastic guy tho :p

You must be that schmuck cuz with the exception of throwing around the kidney in the lab, all the other stuff is normal:

Not going to Class - uh yeah, who in hell has time for that.

Go to meetings for pizza - I give the group 1 hour of my time, I except free food

Lie about their test score - I wouldn't be lying about it if you weren't being a douchebag and asking me how well I did (and then comparing yourself against me). I'll always say that I outperformed you just to see you squirm.

Using the medical student thing to pick up girls - I didn't work my collective ass off in college and medical school for ****. Besides, I have a normal life - unlike you, you probably jack off to the anatomy texts.

You're the inadequate jackhole my friend.

Not all of those are true of the 2 guys that come to mind, but that makes them no less frustrating:

One guy is just weird. He excused himself from rounds one day to weigh himself on a scale in the hallway :confused:. He was on a team in medicine with a girl who had grown really attached to one of her patients. Her attending came in one day at noon conference to tell her that her patient had coded and died. The kid turns to her and says "well, you're just killing all of your patients, aren't you?" Then the girl started crying. This kid is bizarre.

The other guy is just an @sshole. Not sure why, but he continually berates people for every little thing. He also thinks he knows everything. He made the comment to one of the non-trads in our class that if he had done what the non-trad had done before medical school, he would feel like he wasted his life. Everyone hates this kid.

Takes all kinds. Playing catch with a kidney isn't cool, but I have made some remarks in anatomy lab that I shouldn't have, looking back. Elitism and arrogance are bigger problems in my opinion. Are you going to kick me out of med school for my lyrical freestylings late night with [unprofessional nickname for my cadaver]?

Thankfully, there aren't any classmates that come to mind like that, although quite a few are very arrogant. I think tossing around a kidney or joking around about abusing prescription drugs (esp. when we are going to be able to prescribe them in a couple of years) are pretty inappropriate though...

When I think about the one person I don't believe should have made it to medical school, I don't think about any of my classmates who joked around in anatomy lab or who feigned interest in meetings just to score a free lunch.

Instead, I think about the one guy who is so focused on medicine that he is constantly on the verge of a heart attack. He is the guy who would elbow you out of the way during an anatomy practical so that he could get a better look with his flashlight. He is also the guy who shows up late to small group and then berates everyone for starting without him.

I think that if we all had the chance to elect a classmate for removal from medical school, there would be quite a range of personality types on the chopping block.

Whats wrong with sleeping in class? What is wrong with going to a lecture just for the food? What is wrong with some dark humor? I've had classes where professors have given out bottles of wine and cans of beer for right answers in addition to the normal candy and treats.

We even have amazing comedy slides such as this recent one that appeared in a lecture on AIDs:

Sure there is a time to be sensitive and a time to hunker down and get work done but being too uptight kills the fun of medicine.

Cant ever say ive gone to one of those special topics lectures during my lunch break without expecting food, and if there is none or they ran out before i got some, i usually leave.

Maybe im that schmuck?

I hate class, don't like most of my classmates (mostly because they have the same mentality you do), get drunk way too often and do wildly "unprofessional" things in my spare time.
But I have done very well on exams, published research and always been respectful and diligent when it was required of me.

What people do in their spare time is their own business, and it should remain that way so long as it does not interfere with their performance at work/school. It's the obtuse people like you that simply suck all the fun out of life. :sleep:

Not all of those are true of the 2 guys that come to mind, but that makes them no less frustrating:

One guy is just weird. He excused himself from rounds one day to weigh himself on a scale in the hallway :confused:.

Maybe he had CHF and needed daily weights? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats wrong with sleeping in class? What is wrong with going to a lecture just for the food? What is wrong with some dark humor? I've had classes where professors have given out bottles of wine and cans of beer for right answers in addition to the normal candy and treats.

Wow, does your school accept transfers? ;)

I read the OP thinking "Hmmm...that first part sounds reasonably familiar" and expected to drown in the assent and outrage at med students who actually behave like people rather than information machines. I am pleasantly surprised. Thanks, guys, for not being Pre-Allo. :thumbup:

You sound horrible

We even have amazing comedy slides such as this recent one that appeared in a lecture on AIDs:

Sure there is a time to be sensitive and a time to hunker down and get work done but being too uptight kills the fun of medicine.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I was surprised by some of the kosher positions. So, putting my face in a butt is A-OK :thumbup:

OH MY GOD A MED STUDENT WHO SWARES?!?! JOKES ABOUT PRESCRIPTION DRUGS? USES MEETINGS AS AN EXCUSE FOR FREE FOOD?!

You better stay away from this guy. He is so dangerous that most people aren't qualified to deal with it. Fortionately there is a special forces team which is trained for this sort of situation:

plHLsOcK3nux390ormzqfAL3o1_500.jpg

honestly i just wanna know what that drug cocktail was i bet i can come up with something better

Actually I sorta know what the OP is talking about. On two rotations earlier this year, I ended up on a team/group with a student (different student both times) who literally seemed to go out of his/her way to be as rude, lazy, immature, and disrespectful as possible. To everyone. It was literally as if they were wearing a sign that read: "Please give me a terrible evaluation."

Which is just a stupid thing to do when you are shelling out > $50k/yr on top of that.

Half the things you describe in your post are harmless. I didn't attend class. So what? If I found studying on my own a better and more efficient use of my time than listening profs drone on, then that's my choice. It's my grade on the line, not your's. Same thing with sleeping in class. I've attended dozens, maybe hundreds of meetings because there was food involved. That's the point of holding a lunch meeting - you entice people with food and get them to listen. If you think sleeping during class, or swearing, or being immature are grounds for being kicked out of the profession, well, have fun 3rd year.

Oh, and everyone lies about their test scores. Except me!

Wow, does your school accept transfers? ;)

We do! But only into 3rd year though.

Come to WashU! Awesomest school ever. Plus in microbes, they talk about Pokemon. My inner geek is exploding in pleasure :love:

I assume you have never worked in the hospital before directly with physicians. If this stuff is too unprofessional for you, you should hear some of the stuff attendings and PAs will say during the late hours of the night. Anyway, I don't think you would enjoy me :(

As long as people can shut it off and on when it matters, it's really none of anyone's business -- no matter where on the "professionalism" scale they land on in times and places when it doesn't matter.

:thumbup:

Just for a different POV: the OP is expressing the same sort of arrogance and elitism that the OP is complaining about. Don't get me wrong, my class has its own share of annoying/immature folks but you're bound to meet a few wherever you go... and if you're not M3 already, MANY MORE come out of the wood works by then.

Ok. Well, lying about test scores and *gasp* misprepresenting himself in a bar (of all places) kind of make him a tool. But the rest? You think that warrants expulsion or removal? Complete inadequacy?

SDN. Where hyperbole lives.

Ok. Well, lying about test scores and *gasp* misprepresenting himself in a bar (of all places) kind of make him a tool. But the rest? You think that warrants expulsion or removal? Complete inadequacy?

SDN. Where hyperbole lives.

:D: Hey baby, wanna come back to my place and check out my 260 Step I score?

:p: 260? Most of the girls have been saying you were closer to 190.

If I was gonna lie to a girl to get her in bed, it wouldn't be about my Step 1 score.

My thoughts are that most people who donate their bodies to science really don't care if their kidneys go airborne. I plan on donating mine, and if the 1st year student knows enough anatomy to even find my kidney, he/she can chuck it across the room for all I care.

Actually I sorta know what the OP is talking about. On two rotations earlier this year, I ended up on a team/group with a student (different student both times) who literally seemed to go out of his/her way to be as rude, lazy, immature, and disrespectful as possible. To everyone. It was literally as if they were wearing a sign that read: "Please give me a terrible evaluation."

Which is just a stupid thing to do when you are shelling out > $50k/yr on top of that.

I have encountered this person as well. I'm just afraid of being judged inappropriate by association. :thumbdown:

I have encountered this person as well. I'm just afraid of being judged inappropriate by association. :thumbdown:
I looked at it the other way. I was happy to have a dummy student on my service because I was guaranteed to look like a rockstar compared to them.

You sound fun.

Med school drama is interesting...MTV needs to pick up on it...

I'm glad to see that most of you don't think having a sense of humor in medical school is a bad thing.... While not as extreme as the OP described... I think I wouldn't be able to function without laughing at stuff once in a while...(probably more than once in a while)

I looked at it the other way. I was happy to have a dummy student on my service because I was guaranteed to look like a rockstar compared to them.

I agree, but when their fits of gossiping/attending bashing involve you as the listener, I feel like that could be misconstrued as being associated with that behavior by an observer.

I read the OP thinking "Hmmm...that first part sounds reasonably familiar" and expected to drown in the assent and outrage at med students who actually behave like people rather than information machines. I am pleasantly surprised. Thanks, guys, for not being Pre-Allo. :thumbup:

I totally know what you mean; I was expecting the next few posts to at least back this guy's stance, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that more students were like me than not.

Heres my take on the situation: I feel more comfortable with the guy who is able to find humor in a lot of the things we do in school. Schools hard, and sometimes you need a good joke to loosen up.

Besides for the kidney thing, everything else you complain about sounds pretty reasonable.

Not going to class/sleeping in class? Some people learn better without having lecturers talk down to them for hours on end. Also, many schools have audio/video of every lecture so you can listen to them again later at double or triple speed. Same information, but faster!

As for getting free food, when you live off loans, there is never anything wrong with a free meal.

Lighten up buddy. There is nothing you can do about it, and if someone is really messing up that badly professionally, they will be spotted 3rd year and reprimanded (probably not expelled). Also, laugh a little, it will do you good :laugh::laugh::laugh:

You must be that schmuck cuz with the exception of throwing around the kidney in the lab, all the other stuff is normal:

Not going to Class - uh yeah, who in hell has time for that.

Go to meetings for pizza - I give the group 1 hour of my time, I except free food

Lie about their test score - I wouldn't be lying about it if you weren't being a douchebag and asking me how well I did (and then comparing yourself against me). I'll always say that I outperformed you just to see you squirm.

Using the medical student thing to pick up girls - I didn't work my collective ass off in college and medical school for ****. Besides, I have a normal life - unlike you, you probably jack off to the anatomy texts.

You're the inadequate jackhole my friend.

Is this NOT normal? :eek: j/k

WOW... you just described all the ortho faculty at my school (or any other for that matter...)

Take a chill pill. Good rule of thumb: you should be serious only when you need to be.

During Gross Anatomy, there was one troll in particular who grabbed a cadaver's hand and proceeded to feel up a female student with it, while his little entourage laughed like loons. It was very upsetting for her and I had the pleasure of reporting it.

I'd like to say as a girl, that if you want to play the "Future doctor" card in a bar, you are 100% entitled to do it, since it's practically the only good thing you get for all the drudgery and practically blinding yourself with Netter flashcards. Just be aware that it carries more impact if it isn't the first thing out of your mouth.

I am stuck wondering why you are worrying so much about other people's test scores...You remind of several nosy individuals in my class....

Clearly you are on your pedastal...and I cannot wait till 3rd year when an attending makes you fall flat on your *****.

Get over it and worry about yourself

Jealous much? I dunno, maybe we ought to start kicking out the dummies like you who, despite going to class every day, still can't achieve the scores of the guy who sleeps in 'til noon and reads all the material at home. I mean, like you say, we are responsible for the care of other human beings.... and if you can't even keep up with the guy who spends more time playing video games than studying, then perhaps you have chosen the wrong profession and should consider an exciting career in fast-food management.

Just sayin'. Peace out.

During Gross Anatomy, there was one troll in particular who grabbed a cadaver's hand and proceeded to feel up a female student with it, while his little entourage laughed like loons. It was very upsetting for her and I had the pleasure of reporting it.

I'd like to say as a girl, that if you want to play the "Future doctor" card in a bar, you are 100% entitled to do it, since it's practically the only good thing you get for all the drudgery and practically blinding yourself with Netter flashcards. Just be aware that it carries more impact if it isn't the first thing out of your mouth.

Telling people that you study medicine when you are at a party/bar is not always the smartest thing to do lol. To many times some drunk girl have ended up telling me all the details of a injury/disease she had in the past (for what reason I don't know), or started complaining about their primary physician.

I never tell people I study medicine to try to impress them, but usually since I'm interested in what other people do I ask them and then they always ask me back. Its not like I'm going to lie and tell them I don't study medicine, but I don't put alot of weight in the fact that I do. Its usually the other person that has alot of questions.

At other times is just one of my drunk friends that yells out "this guy is going to be a doctor" at once a girl starts talking to me :rolleyes::laugh: