Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

That one person....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by aranza, 09.30.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. aranza

aranza 2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    There is always that one person who gets a 97/98 in each course. Do you think these people are just naturally intelligent or they study for an insane amount of hours? I'm trying to get the highest mark in some of my courses because you can get scholarships and stuff. But I can never seem to even touch the 90's let alone get almost perfect. What do you guys think? What does it take to get that 98?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Aerus

Aerus Elemental Alchemist 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    It can be any combination of intelligence, background knowledge, test-taking ability, studying ability, and hard work.

Being and Strudel19 like this.
  4. Boolean

Boolean

A comprehensive knowledge of the topic at hand. It isn't enough to be smart, you must be intelligent. You cannot simply cram as many facts as possible into yourself, you must formulate a mesh of knowledge, somewhat like a spiderweb. Ability to see the connections and webs others do not is what separates the best from the rest.

5. aranza

aranza 2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    But say for a multiple choice test...isn't majority or all of it just facts? How can someone possibly know every little detail and get a 100%. I'm studying for my histology test right now and I'm getting overwhelmed from just learning about the bone and muscle tissue.

6. godawg300

godawg300

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Some people are just better at certain things. I'm a pro at memorizing things. Find a learning method that works for you.

7. Boolean

Boolean

Shotgun Histology is your new best friend. In direct response to your question, it highly depends on the nature of the questions. Some may be simply just facts, others may require more critical thinking. Your professor's distinct testing style is what this depends on.

8. Aerus

Aerus Elemental Alchemist 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    Also, in my experience, it isn't usually the same people in every class who get the highest score. I've gotten a few top scores on exams as have my friends and we certainly do not consistently do that on every test in every class. To be able to do that requires a special kind of dedication to academics that I personally do not have the patience for, as there are better things that I can do with my time.

Sirphillup likes this.
  9. Afford

Afford

Medical Student (Accepted)
    It's like how Olympic athletes usually have genetic traits that are made for their sport. I think it's a mixture of intelligence and hard work. Lots of hard work.

About the ads