That's Negative Pactice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

almo88

double frick
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a life-long singer, my mother always helped me get ready for competitions when I was younger. When I would do something horribly wrong she'd say "That's negative practice!!!"

Yesterday I was thinking about the MCAT and how we all have to study. Is it possible to practice so much that it becomes "negative practice"? Where is the breaking point?

Members don't see this ad.

As a life-long singer, my mother always helped me get ready for competitions when I was younger. When I would do something horribly wrong she'd say "That's negative practice!!!"

Yesterday I was thinking about the MCAT and how we all have to study. Is it possible to practice so much that it becomes "negative practice"? Where is the breaking point?

As my July 24th test rapidly approaches, I was pondering the same thing.
In my opinion, There are two ways to "negatively practice":

1) practice so much that study time spills onto time for activities one enjoys. For example, I have a tendency to skip working out when I am busy, which only decreases productivity in the long run.

2)practicing so much that you begin to obsess about the things you will undoubtedly forget during the exam. Ive done all the kaplan tests and AAMC tests twice (over 100 hours of tests) because I fear not knowing something.
I believe it will serve no purpose but to decrease my confidence on the exam itself.