ladybug2

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello Everyone,

I decided to start a thread for all of us April 18 MCATers. Please feel free to share in your thought, success and frustrations throughout this process here!

All the best!
Good LUCK to all of us! ;)

Malayna

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm registered for Culver City, so it's official! :scared:

I haven't started studying yet, but will start right after finals. Four months is hopefully enough.

ladybug2

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I am currently going to TPR class but have not really started studyoing yet, but maybe today will be that lucky day! Anyone else? Also, here is some food for thought, I know this is a very debatable subject but do you think your score will somewhat depend on the test day? early/late?

Malayna

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I am currently going to TPR class but have not really started studyoing yet, but maybe today will be that lucky day! Anyone else? Also, here is some food for thought, I know this is a very debatable subject but do you think your score will somewhat depend on the test day? early/late?

I just want to get through finals completely before I start stressing about the MCAT. How do you like your TPR course? Where are you taking it? I might be joining TPR in January.

I definitely think the time of day will impact me. I'm not normally a morning person, but I'm afraid that if I took the afternoon test I'd get tired and hungry half way. :laugh:

My score will depend on how lucky I am in terms of what they put on my test. I'm praying there's very little physics.

About the Ads

ladybug2

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Wow! Great to see some people here!!

I am taking it in NYC. My course started a few weeks ago and given that I am working full time (~60 hours a week) i thought it would be a good idea to take a course, and I am actually glad I did... But just like any class it will depend a lot on the teachers (and the material of course), I have a great physics& gchem teacher and my bio teacher is also decent, but orgo and verbal are lacking.

I know it will be a painful ride but I have been out of college for 2yrs now and I am looking fwd to it! We can do it!!! Even though it will be difficult with afull course load or full time job but i think your high score woudl mean that much more!

As for late/early I was referring to the test dates, I was debating between may and april, thoughts?

OK so I am going to try to do two hours of studying before bed! fingers crossed! MCAT here I come! :xf:

Let's keep it up!

Malayna

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Wow! Great to see some people here!!

I am taking it in NYC. My course started a few weeks ago and given that I am working full time (~60 hours a week) i thought it would be a good idea to take a course, and I am actually glad I did... But just like any class it will depend a lot on the teachers (and the material of course), I have a great physics& gchem teacher and my bio teacher is also decent, but orgo and verbal are lacking.

I know it will be a painful ride but I have been out of college for 2yrs now and I am looking fwd to it! We can do it!!! Even though it will be difficult with afull course load or full time job but i think your high score woudl mean that much more!

As for late/early I was referring to the test dates, I was debating between may and april, thoughts?

OK so I am going to try to do two hours of studying before bed! fingers crossed! MCAT here I come! :xf:

Let's keep it up!

I thought you meant time of day. I didn't want my test date to carry over too far into my spring quarter, but at the same time I want to have as much study time as possible. I've forgotten everything! :scared:

ugob1985

10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
what's everyone's study schedule and materials looking like?

study hrs/week
FT job? FT school?
Book material- TPR, Kaplan, EK?

Best of luck everyone and work hard!

:)

Malayna

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Plan to have 8 hours of class per week and 16 hours of studying a week through mid March and then 40 hours per week of studying from mid March until April 17.

Only taking 12 units next quarter, no labs, and two of the classes are pretty easy. Will keep working ten hours per week through February, and take March and April off completely.

Using BR for text and passages for gen chem, organic, and physics. Using EK biology text and BR biology passages. Finally, I'm going to use EK for verbal text and PR and BR for verbal passages.

I plan to use BR CBTs, AAMC CBTs, and BR review exams.

ladybug2

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Wow good for Malayna!

As for me, I am working full time (~60 hours/week). I plan to do a bit of reading on the subway (about 1 hr a day) plus at best 2 hours at night. I am taking an MCAT class on Sundays and Saturdays can be fully dedicated to studying. This will be very hard I know, but I have no choice (unfortunately) and I am starting early (4months ahead) so hopefully I can get somewhere... I will post my scores up when I take practices.

Does that help? At least it should make Most of you guys feel better about your schedules! :)

BWSTW

The B's be ballin'
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Somewhere over the rainbow
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
After this semester is over with I plan on studying as much as possible before classes start up again. I'm using mainly EK but I'll probably use textbooks and Kaplan too. I work FT and go to school FT, and I'm hoping I can spread it out enough - read a chapter in each book a night and start taking any practice exams I can get my hands on. I'm hoping I'll be able to find enough time...

rama kandra

Actual Psychiatrist jk
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
I am going to register in the next few days for April 18 and hope to take it anywhere in the New York city area. Anybody in the five boroughs want to make a study group? PM me!

So far I purchased the Examkrackers boxed set of materials and the 1001 questions books and just going through them at my own pace. A friend tossed his Kaplan course books my way, they are not as fun as EK but I am just hoarding all the material I can for now.

Also, I am considering taking the EK course... anybody know if they are doing the same in NYC?

About the Ads

koojo

Don't Stop Believing
10+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Yeay for April MCAT'ers. I took my MCAT this past April and it was great because after receiving my scores I still had like a month to get the rest of the packet done. Perfect time to take the MCAT...good luck :)

Sleight

10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Just out of curiosity why are you all choosing to take the April 18th instead of April 24th? I haven't picked yet but I notice far more people are picking the 18th and I was just wondering why...THANKS!

rama kandra

Actual Psychiatrist jk
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status (Visible)
I actually dont have a reason not to... but I would like to get my scores back on May 19th, giving me a few days to wiggle around my AMCAS things and which schools are on/off my list.

Not that those few days are really a big deal but I want this over sooner.

Sleight

10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
ok...I guess that is good reasoning...the April 24th is going to report just a couple days before June 1st...so it won't give me much time to figure out, based on my score, what schools I want to apply to...I might choose the 18th too...I am just worried that I will have an exam since it is a Friday at 8am...do you think my Profs will let me make it up?

rama kandra

Actual Psychiatrist jk
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status (Visible)
actually I am looking at courses to take and settled on the Princeton Review. Anyways they have a course near my home but it is geared toward the April 4th exam, since the class ends on the first. I think this is a better choice, being a 12 PM exam!

The 18th is a nice cushy date to take the exam since its kinda in the middle of the month but perhaps the 8 AM thing may be a bad thing... I hadn't even thought about it.

Would it be a bad idea to take the Princeton Review course that ends on the first of April and just study on my own until the 18th? Or is the class sort of hinging on the fact that I take it right after it ends?

Sleight - I think if you want to send your AMCAS in around June 1st, you should have a few days between that date to get things organized and figured out... the 24th is close. Also the 24th exam is a Saturday at 8 AM, so I don't think this would affect your other exams. But I would honestly not want to take other things around the same period of time.

Malayna

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I chose April 18 because it doesn't interfere with my Spring quarter too much.

The BR teacher recommended it because that allows for three weeks after the last lecture to go to BR study hall and to go over the CBTs and other exams in detail.

Sleight

10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I wish my teachers had their courses planned so I could know test dates and try to avoid that time!...is it common for a time slot to get filled up 4 months in advance? I should be getting the course schedules in the middle of January...I am just paranoid that the test slot will be full!

ladybug2

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
with the 4 month to the mcat time stamp rapidly approaching how is everyone keeping themselves motivated? I am feeling very overwhelmed.

About the Ads

baylorbear333

10+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey Everyone!
So I just bought the Kaplan MCAT course online, and just took the very first diagnostic test. And now I'm scared. I got a 19 on it- 6PS/6VR/7BS...

IS IT HOPELESS?! I really don't know what I should have gotten on it for a first time diagnostic test...I haven't started studying for it. I really would like to shoot for no less than 30. So I feel kind of dumb getting a 19 on it. opinions?

tmac11

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Don't worry about it. There was a thread discussing why diagnostic tests are worthless. As long as you work hard, your practice test scores should reflect it.

Sleight

10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I have heard mixed things about diagnostics. I have heard that they are a great tool to use as a starting point but by no means tell you where you your capacity after studying. Don't worry too much but at the same time don't think that it doesn't mean anything. I am all for taking them just so you know where you need to focus your attention (because you may think you know things better than you do!)

ladybug2

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi everyone! Hope all is well! can anyone help me with the below problems? Thank you!!!

1) so, i am wondering if anyone has heard of anyone who has improved their verbal score by 3+ points in 3 months.

2) has anyone thought of dentistry as an alternative to medicine and if so, how did they go about deciding between the two?

Gator9

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2007
Florida & Kentucky
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Hi everyone! Hope all is well! can anyone help me with the below problems? Thank you!!!

1) so, i am wondering if anyone has heard of anyone who has improved their verbal score by 3+ points in 3 months.

2) has anyone thought of dentistry as an alternative to medicine and if so, how did they go about deciding between the two?

Hey ladybug,

I don't post much so don't know if this will come out in the approved forum format.

But!

Yes you can definitely improve your verbal it wont be easy, however if you work hard you'd be surprised at how much can be achieved.

Best of luck with either of your decisions!!!

Last edited:

xLoveNYx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey guys!
just registered for the April 18 MCAT. Im taking TPR courses in NYC from Jan to April. Is anyone else taking this course or wanting to make a study group?? Good luck to everyone here and their study plans!!

mulzstl

10+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
st louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
yeah!:p I am going to register for this date. I am scared to actually do it.:eek: I am taking it in the STL area. I will be using EK stuff.

Bernoull

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2007
Ischioanal fossa
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Count me in!!! I'm yet to register but I've settle for the 4/18/09 date. I've finally completed initial review of all the material except "separation and analytical techniques for Orgo".

I using EK (6th Ed & AO) primarily for everything besides Orgo. EK's Orgo I find too superficial for someone wh hasn't taken Orgo in ages therefore I'm using TPR MCAT CBT which is quite indepth and provides a solid foundation.

I'm ready to chew this test up once and for all. Very best wishes to ALL of you taking the test, perserve and stay focused!!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

About the Ads

kmcgrath

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey Everyone!
So I just bought the Kaplan MCAT course online, and just took the very first diagnostic test. And now I'm scared. I got a 19 on it- 6PS/6VR/7BS...

IS IT HOPELESS?! I really don't know what I should have gotten on it for a first time diagnostic test...I haven't started studying for it. I really would like to shoot for no less than 30. So I feel kind of dumb getting a 19 on it. opinions?
No worries...my best bud (who is now in her second year at UM med school) received a 17 on her diagnostic and got a 32 on her actual. You are in the clear!

Malayna

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey Everyone!

You can't think bout your first diagnostic score, because it doesn't mean anything. The course I'm taking doesn't want us to take any full-length exams until two months before our test date, because of how little they really tell you. One or two questions on each subject cannot truly tell you where you're at. And if you haven't reviewed much material, then the score doesn't represent anything.

Just keep working hard.

Yeah for April 18th!!! I'm getting excited after hearing from classmates who just took the MCAT this past weekend. It's pretty exciting to see what exactly they'll ask us.

koojo

Don't Stop Believing
10+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I got an 18 on my diagnostic. There were a lot of 'easy' questions which I should have gotten but I haven't reviewed in a while so I got a crappy score. I think what helped me the most in Kaplan was taking the full-length exams..especially the real ones.

jennbou

10+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I just discovered this group! Where are you all in your studying? I'm doing EK home study, and I'm on Week 3... but I'm having a hard time keeping up with all the assignments.

my diagnostic test was a 22 w/ a 5 in physics! :( the question sets bog me down and they are really hard for me to understand.
any physics tips??? i really want to get a 30 on the mcat...

Sleight

10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I just discovered this group! Where are you all in your studying? I'm doing EK home study, and I'm on Week 3... but I'm having a hard time keeping up with all the assignments.

my diagnostic test was a 22 w/ a 5 in physics! :( the question sets bog me down and they are really hard for me to understand.
any physics tips??? i really want to get a 30 on the mcat...

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!
Physics is all about practice (at least for me) it takes knowing where to start and often that is the hardest part (and most time consuming) so the more you practice the faster you get at recognizing where to start and the less you freak out...i would recommend getting 1001 physics questions...

Ari1584

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
When is everyone starting their practice test taking? This is a re-take for me and im not sure which materials i should use last....i already did all the aamc's before so im pretty sure i remember the answers :(

Grey Wind

Purple Highlighter
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Yay for 4/18!! Best of luck to everyone!

I'm in a Kaplan course currently. I'm about to start studying hardcore. I made a 20 on my diagnostic. I took with no studying or reviewing whatsoever. So, I'm optimistic about my chances as long as I bust my butt!
:luck::luck::luck::luck:

Knitress

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Anyone in the OKC area?

I took a practice test... it went pretty well, but I have some brushing up to do on my physics and gen chem. I'm going to sit down with my ACS study guide for chem, review my old physics book, and take as many AAMC practice tests as I can between now and 4/18.

As for why not 4/4: it's my birthday! Who wants to spend their birthday taking the MCAT? (Of course, now I get to spend my birthday studying for the MCAT instead...) :)

sweetjo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2007
Status (Visible)
Well I am taking the exam on the 18th also.I will be in Brooklyn from the 6th April so anyone interested in doing some practices together, you can message me. I am taking the exam at livingston street,brooklyn, new york.

InquisitiveDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2007
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
i feel the same way, kzhan11. some of my friends just dont seem to understand the fact that my studying has practically taken over my spare time.

how does everyone else feel about our upcoming "event"? I've been studying the examkrackers manuals along with the nova review book for physics and the verbal 1001 book. i plan on finishing up all the basic studying by march 28th and then taking practice exams every other day until the exam date.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.