The 04/18/09 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladybug2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I decided to start a thread for all of us April 18 MCATers. Please feel free to share in your thought, success and frustrations throughout this process here!

All the best!
Good LUCK to all of us! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Many people appear to forget that the average score for a matriculated medical student is a 30 and if you have high numbers and great ECs and dont get accepted to the top medical schools in the country its because your name wasnt picked out of a hat of 1000 people just like you. With Extra corriculars like that I would apply broadly. The 10 and 11 are good scores(even though many people seem to think they arnt). The 8 in verbal isnt the best but there is a big difference between a 7 and an 8. I have heard of many people who get in with the latter and not the former. You will be considered with your ECs, they will make you stand out. Medical schools look for people with passion and the fact that you went to South America (Which is way more than I ever did) will let them know that you have that. If I was in your boat, id go ahead and apply.

Dear Studoc20, thank you SOOOO MUCH for your honest opinion and advice. I deeply and sincerely appreciate it. It's just I've been feeling devastated in the past couple of days since I got my MCAT score. I'll give it a try and apply this summer. I am aiming at top-tier schools (I acknowledge that I won't have much chance there), but there're so many other good schools where I can at least have a chance (Rush Medical in Chicago, NY Med, Drexel, Temple, Tulane, George Washington, etc.). I'm going to apply, and if, God forbid, I don't get any interviews before the beginning of next February, I'll retake MCAT in May, and reapply.

Studoc20, I wish you a SUPER GOOD LUCK in your applications! I am sure that if you have a genuine desire and passion for medicine, you WILL and SHALL become a physician!

Dear Studoc20, thank you SOOOO MUCH for your honest opinion and advice. I deeply and sincerely appreciate it. It's just I've been feeling devastated in the past couple of days since I got my MCAT score. I'll give it a try and apply this summer. I am aiming at top-tier schools (I acknowledge that I won't have much chance there), but there're so many other good schools where I can at least have a chance (Rush Medical in Chicago, NY Med, Drexel, Temple, Tulane, George Washington, etc.). I'm going to apply, and if, God forbid, I don't get any interviews before the beginning of next February, I'll retake MCAT in May, and reapply.

Studoc20, I wish you a SUPER GOOD LUCK in your applications! I am sure that if you have a genuine desire and passion for medicine, you WILL and SHALL become a physician!

what's your state residency? your state school(s) will look at you seriously. private schools and out-of-state public schools will not. don't count on Drexel, Tulane, GW, etc. they get 10,000+ applicants and your 29 isn't going to cut it. take it from someone who went through all this last year.

btw, what's your GPA? you'll need a 3.8-3.9+ to get any luck with a 29 MCAT. you'll get interviews with like a 3.6 and 29 at your state school(s), but it's doubtful you'll get acceptances out of them....more likely waitlists assuming the rest of your app is good.

Last edited:
Very true. Good advice. Only on SDN does it seem like everyone scores >35.

so true. i remember a few years ago when i took this test it seemed like getting a 30 was like reaching nirvana or something. now, it gets you a one way ticket to the caribbean apparently.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to shed a dark light on anybody but...in the 2010-2011 AMCAS book the average acceptance in the previous year was an MCAT of 32.

what's your state residency? your state school(s) will look at you seriously. private schools and out-of-state public schools will not. don't count on Drexel, Tulane, GW, etc. they get 10,000+ applicants and your 29 isn't going to cut it. take it from someone who went through all this last year.

btw, what's your GPA? you'll need a 3.8-3.9+ to get any luck with a 29 MCAT. you'll get interviews with like a 3.6 and 29 at your state school(s), but it's doubtful you'll get acceptances out of them....more likely waitlists assuming the rest of your app is good.

Rocketbooster:
GPA - 3.9 (Biochem, Berkeley), 1 year of research (UCSF), lots of volunteering, shadowing, tutoring, medical mission to a South American country, 2 summer internships (Stanford, Yale), speak 7 languages,
co-founded a student-run association, and was its co-president for a year,
co-founded a student-run newspaper and was its co-editor-in-chief for 2 years; 4 years of undergrad (majoring in interpretation/translation of foreign languages) (in Europe) prior to 4 year of undergrad in biochem in California. MCAT - SUCKS. State of residency - California

It never hurts to apply. I'll do my best. We'll see the rest.

Rocketbooster:
GPA - 3.9 (Biochem, Berkeley), 1 year of research (UCSF), lots of volunteering, shadowing, tutoring, medical mission to a South American country, 2 summer internships (Stanford, Yale), speak 7 languages,
co-founded a student-run newspaper and was its co-editor-in-chief for 2 years; 4 years of undergrad (majoring in interpretation/translation of foreign languages) (in Europe) prior to 4 year of undergrad in biochem in California. MCAT - SUCKS. State of residency - California

you'll get in somewhere.

Not to shed a dark light on anybody but...in the 2010-2011 AMCAS book the average acceptance in the previous year was an MCAT of 32.

This actually proves the point that you DON'T need a 32+ to get in, even at selective schools.

The main idea that the AMCAS book proves is that the average OF THOSE WHO ACHIEVED ENTRANCE into medical school was a 32.

ROUGHLY HALF of current medical students did not score a 32+.:idea:

I LIKE THE ODDS for those who did well, but not well enough for those sitting pretty with a 30+++ (aka. SDN well)!

I don't mean anything personal against you, but I would say that in general too many people think you MUST meet "SDN standards" to have a chance.

I would be the first to admit that a great MCAT score won't hurt your application, but getting a 29 is NOT the end of the line for any hopes of going to a top 20 school. It doesn't help your case, but if you are a well-rounded student, and you let others see your other great qualities during your interviews, you will still have a shot.

Besides, the difference between a 29 and a 32 could theoretically be three questions total on your MCAT. While this doesn't really matter as its the nature of the beast, it does give reason for schools to allow otherwise exceptional applicants a chance with an interview invite at the least.

You can find many examples here on SDN of students who did well with seemingly random stats. The only thing ANYONE can do (even if you have a 40T) is apply broadly and early. NO ONE is going to get admission handed to them based on stats alone. I'm sure there have been times that seemingly "perfect applicants" have been wait-listed to death at every school to which they applied because they came across as entitled because they made the mistake of thinking they were safe and showing it at their interviews.

Don't base your future on what ANYONE else tells you is good enough.

Every year SOMEONE gets into their dream school with a 29 (or perhaps lower). Be that person.

Good luck with your applications everyone!:luck:

Rocketbooster:

nice nice GPA. I don't see why you don't start to apply and then retake your MCAT anyway. youre selling yourself short settling with a 29 MCAT. the rest of your app sounds really good. the MCAT is actually the easiest thing to fix because it only takes a few months.

especially for you since you're from CA, from the hundreds of posts I've read on SDN over the past 2 years, CA residents are screwed by their own state schools with MCATs that low despite your 3.9 GPA. definitely throw in some of those NY schools with average MCATs of 30-32. I still say retake your MCAT.

these ppl who say "you"ll get in somwhere," "apply anyway and broadly," etc. are giving false words of encouragement. the ppl who get lucky by getting an acceptance with a sub-30 score almost always get it from their state school. generally, state schools make it easier for their in-staters, BUT NOT IN CALIFORNIA. :scared:

retaaaakkkeee MCAT. if you sneak in, it'll likely be through those NY schools, like NYMC, SUNYs, etc.

This actually proves the point that you DON'T need a 32+ to get in, even at selective schools.

The main idea that the AMCAS book proves is that the average OF THOSE WHO ACHIEVED ENTRANCE into medical school was a 32.

I LIKE THE ODDS for those who did well, but not well enough for those sitting pretty with a 30+++ (aka. SDN well)!

I don't mean anything personal against you, but I would say that in general too many people think you MUST meet "SDN standards" to have a chance.

I would be the first to admit that a great MCAT score won't hurt your application, but getting a 29 is NOT the end of the line for any hopes of going to a top 20 school. It doesn't help your case, but if you are a well-rounded student, and you let others see your other great qualities during your interviews, you will still have a shot.

Besides, the difference between a 29 and a 32 could theoretically be three questions total on your MCAT. While this doesn't really matter as its the nature of the beast, it does give reason for schools to allow otherwise exceptional applicants a chance with an interview invite at the least.

You can find many examples here on SDN of students who did well with seemingly random stats. The only thing ANYONE can do (even if you have a 40T) is apply broadly and early. NO ONE is going to get admission handed to them based on stats alone. I'm sure there have been times that seemingly "perfect applicants" have been wait-listed to death at every school to which they applied because they came across as entitled because they made the mistake of thinking they were safe and showing it at their interviews.

Don't base your future on what ANYONE else tells you is good enough.

Every year SOMEONE gets into their dream school with a 29 (or perhaps lower). Be that person.

Good luck with your applications everyone!:luck:

Truly one of the MOST inspirational, encouraging and motivating postings I've EVER seen here on SDN! I cannot express in words how greatful I am to you, Bamtuba, for these words.

It is, indeed, always painful to hear from many "knowledgeable" people that tell you that with MCAT score of 30 and <30 you are likely to get nowhere. But, those "knowledgeable" people do not have an idea of who you are, what your background is, what other UNIQUE qualities you have, what other UNIQUE activities you participated in when you were in school and/or when you were out of school. Those who have a genuine desire to become physicians WILL and SHALL become physicians. One score does not define the entire personality of a candidate. I've met a couple of people with MCAT 34 who, unfortunately, did not get into any of the schools. And I have my friend who got into Chicago, Illinois with MCAT below 30, and another friend with MCAT of 30, who got into Harvard and had two other interviews in UCLA and U Penn. EVERYBODY IS UNIQUE. It is all in the power of an applicant to ensure that his/her application, personal statement, LORs make him/her stand out.

The English soccer fans love to say "Impossible is nothing" before the game of their team against a better rival team. Giving up is not an option. Be perseverant. Stay positive. And believe in yourself.

There will be a school that will believe in you, if you try hard.

*siiighhhh* n00bs...haha...it does NOT matter what the national average MCAT score is for matriculants. the ONLY #s that matter are each school's individual average MCAT and GPA that you apply to.

Truly one of the MOST inspirational, encouraging and motivating postings I've EVER seen here on SDN! I cannot express in words how greatful I am to you, Bamtuba, for these words.

It is, indeed, always painful to hear from many "knowledgeable" people who tell you that with MCAT score of 30 and <30 you are likely to get nowhere. But, those "knowledgeable" people do not have an idea of who you are, what your background is, what other UNIQUE qualities you have, what other UNIQUE activities you participated in when you were in school and/or when you were out of school. Those who have a genuine desire to become physicians WILL and SHALL become physicians. One score does not define the entire personality of a candidate. I've met a couple of people with MCAT 34 who, unfortunately, did not get into any of the schools. And I have my friend who got into Chicago, Illinois with MCAT below 30, and another friend with MCAT of 30, who got into Harvard and had two other interviews in UCLA and U Penn. EVERYBODY IS UNIQUE. It is all in the power of an applicant to ensure that his/her application, personal statement, LORs make him/her stand out.

The English soccer fans love to say "Impossible is nothing" before the game of their team against a better rival team. Giving up is not an option. Be perseverant. Stay positive. And believe in yourself.

There will be a school that will believe in you, if you try hard.

omg, pleaassseee don't be foolish and grab onto false hope. yea it makes sense to aim to be that 1 person of thousands upon thousands who get into their dream school with a 29 MCAT...NOT. that is foolish. if you want to throw away $2,000 applying broadly with a 29 MCAT, be my guest. I'm trying to save you the pain of waiting all year for nothing and losing a few grand in the process.

just retake your MCAT. that's all you have to do.

BY THE WAY, THE PEOPLE WHO DO GET INTO THEIR DREAM SCHOOLS WITH SUB-30 SCORES ARE GENERALLY URM. are you URM? if yes, then go for it.

you need to be realistic in this process. don't be an idiot by listening to ppl who are pushing false hopes based on a 0.1% probability.

you have really unique activities, though, so I bet you'll probably sneak in somewhere. you could get into a much better school with your GPA and activities if you retook your MCAT, though. I just think you're selling yourself short by not retaking your MCAT.

wow this rocket guy is quite a downer. i agree that you won't get into a top school, but you have a decent shot at lesser tier schools (although no guarantee of course) if you apply broad and early. your talents/activities are quite impressive and will make you attractive to many schools. seven languages? that is extremely unique and extraordinary.

in fact, if you do a search on MDapps for MCAT=29 and GPA>3.8, you'll see that about 85-90% of the applicants received an acceptance to an MD school.

Members don't see this ad :)
in fact, if you do a search on MDapps for MCAT=29 and GPA>3.8, you'll see that about 85-90% of the applicants received an acceptance to an MD school.

Yes, and maybe I'm the only person who loves chapter 5 in the MSAR (as in, I find it very useful!), but if you look at the chart for MCAT and undergrad GPA combined, 74% of applicants with a GPA between 3.8 and 4.0 and an MCAT between 27-29 were accepted. So no, I would not say it is a waste of time to apply. This is also including 27's and 28's, so I'm sure the percentage for 29 alone is a little higher.

What the ****, they already know the stats for the 2009-2010 cycle? It hasn't even happened yet.

omg, pleaassseee don't be foolish and grab onto false hope. yea it makes sense to aim to be that 1 person of thousands upon thousands who get into their dream school with a 29 MCAT...NOT. that is foolish. if you want to throw away $2,000 applying broadly with a 29 MCAT, be my guest. I'm trying to save you the pain of waiting all year for nothing and losing a few grand in the process.

just retake your MCAT. that's all you have to do.

BY THE WAY, THE PEOPLE WHO DO GET INTO THEIR DREAM SCHOOLS WITH SUB-30 SCORES ARE GENERALLY URM. are you URM? if yes, then go for it.

you need to be realistic in this process. don't be an idiot by listening to ppl who are pushing false hopes based on a 0.1% probability.

you have really unique activities, though, so I bet you'll probably sneak in somewhere. you could get into a much better school with your GPA and activities if you retook your MCAT, though. I just think you're selling yourself short by not retaking your MCAT.

Rocketbooster, I do believe that you are giving me an honest opinion, and I sincerely appreciate it. Here's what I think, and correct me if I am wrong. If I were to retake MCAT, I would do it in late August, not earlier, since one month of studying wouldn't be enough for me (I know this, verbal is my weakest point, and it has never steadily improved despites of months of studying). So, if I still were to retake this beast in late August, I would get my score in late September, early October. I would apply in October, and would be at a disadvantage already. So at that point it would make more sense for me to apply the following cycle. Now...if I apply during this cycle, and I do not hear from ANY school (no interviews, no hopes) before Feb, 2010, THEN I'll retake MCAT in May 2010, and will still apply the following cycle. So, in any case scenario: 1) if I were to retake MCAT this late august, or 2) apply, not get in, and retake next may, I would still apply next summer. I am sorry if I am a little confusing.

Also, I was wondering if you could elaborate on your own story. You said you are applying a second time this year. What was your status (academic, MCAT, ECs) when you were applying the first time?

Thanks to everybody, anyway. It's important to hear the variety of opinions. And it's up to each applicant to listen to everybody, but make his/her own choice. As one Russian proverb says: "He who doesn't risk never gets to drink champagne"

True, true.

But people may also want to research the scores in their state specifically if they are wanting to go to a state school. A 30 is about average in my state.

*siiighhhh* n00bs...haha...it does NOT matter what the national average MCAT score is for matriculants. the ONLY #s that matter are each school's individual average MCAT and GPA that you apply to.

:laugh:

No, not really new, just old enough to know that I don't have to post every passing thought that I have for everyone to see just because I can.

You are right. It does not matter what any averages are...no one is assured admission to medical school, no matter how much money/time they have to prep for the MCAT.:idea:

Since none of us is an adcom, and none of us KNOWS what will happen, let's not pretend that we do and try to "scare the competition" because we are insecure in our worthiness for this profession.

Again, good luck all!:luck:

Rocketbooster, I do believe that you are giving me an honest opinion, and I sincerely appreciate it. Here's what I think, and correct me if I am wrong. If I were to retake MCAT, I would do it in late August, not earlier, since one month of studying wouldn't be enough for me (I know this, verbal is my weakest point, and it has never steadily improved despites of months of studying). So, if I still were to retake this beast in late August, I would get my score in late September, early October. I would apply in October, and would be at a disadvantage already. So at that point it would make more sense for me to apply the following cycle. Now...if I apply during this cycle, and I do not hear from ANY school (no interviews, no hopes) before Feb, 2010, THEN I'll retake MCAT in May 2010, and will still apply the following cycle. So, in any case scenario: 1) if I were to retake MCAT this late august, or 2) apply, not get in, and retake next may, I would still apply next summer. I am sorry if I am a little confusing.

Also, I was wondering if you could elaborate on your own story. You said you are applying a second time this year. What was your status (academic, MCAT, ECs) when you were applying the first time?

Thanks to everybody, anyway. It's important to hear the variety of opinions. And it's up to each applicant to listen to everybody, but make his/her own choice. As one Russian proverb says: "He who doesn't risk never gets to drink champagne"

haha, I'm not meaning to be a downer but simply realistic. To be honest, applying early for you isn't going to make much of a difference because most schools hand out the early interviews to the the best applicants. The ppl with lower MCATs tend to be interviewed later in the year, most likely in the spring. If you retook your MCAT in August, you would not really be late for interviews because you probably aren't going to be seriously considered for interviews till later in the year. Applying early only matters for getting the early interviews in September and October, which generally go to the ppl with the highest #s because schools want to get to them before they are accepted other places.

If I were you, I would submit my primary, apply to some schools early, etc. in June. While you are waiting, retake your MCAT in August. If you do better on it, then you can apply to more schools. Your primary will have already been complete so it won't take weeks and weeks to have it verified by AMCAS. It'll just take a few weeks to get your new secondaries in. IF you do this, you probably shouldn't mark on your AMCAS that are you retaking your MCAT, though. Because if you mark that you are retaking it in August, the schools you applied earlier will put your app on the side and wait until your new MCAT comes in to review it.

While I am sure you would do marvelous in interviews because of your activities, you need the #s to get the interviews first. Your GPA is really good, so what it'll do is balance out your MCAT a bit and put you right at the overall average #s at schools like NYMC, SUNYs, etc. There are hundreds of ppl applying with the school's average #s, though, so you could be left out for interviews just because they can only interview so many ppl. That's why you want a higher MCAT to make yourself stand out from the rest of the average applicants.

You don't have to listen to me. I just think it's wiser for you to listen to someone who's already been through this himself over ppl who will be applying and only have information by reading SDN without any personal experience. I would say my app this current year was slightly weaker than yours but tooo not much. I applied to all those schools you were mentioning...NY schools, Drexel, Tulane, GW, etc. I only got 1 interview, which was from my state scool that is FRIENDLY to in-staters unlike your CA schools, and it resulted in a waitlist. I essentially wasted $2,000. I spoke with several of the schools' deans over the phone, and they all told me it was because of my MCAT. "Your GPA is competitive but your MCAT is not. Retake it." They don't even seem to seriously read your application if you don't have the #s they want. I had a 3.7 and 27R (8, 10, 9), though, so your #s are slightly higher...perhaps high enough to worth chancing all that money. IDK...

haha, I'm not meaning to be a downer but simply realistic. To be honest, applying early for you isn't going to make much of a difference because most schools hand out the early interviews to the the best applicants. The ppl with lower MCATs tend to be interviewed later in the year, most likely in the spring. If you retook your MCAT in August, you would not really be late for interviews because you probably aren't going to be seriously considered for interviews till later in the year. Applying early only matters for getting the early interviews in September and October, which generally go to the ppl with the highest #s because schools want to get to them before they are accepted other places.

If I were you, I would submit my primary, apply to some schools early, etc. in June. While you are waiting, retake your MCAT in August. If you do better on it, then you can apply to more schools. Your primary will have already been complete so it won't take weeks and weeks to have it verified by AMCAS. It'll just take a few weeks to get your new secondaries in. IF you do this, you probably shouldn't mark on your AMCAS that are you retaking your MCAT, though. Because if you mark that you are retaking it in August, the schools you applied earlier will put your app on the side and wait until your new MCAT comes in to review it.

While I am sure you would do marvelous in interviews because of your activities, you need the #s to get the interviews first. Your GPA is really good, so what it'll do is balance out your MCAT a bit and put you right at the overall average #s at schools like NYMC, SUNYs, etc. There are hundreds of ppl applying with the school's average #s, though, so you could be left out for interviews just because they can only interview so many ppl. That's why you want a higher MCAT to make yourself stand out from the rest of the average applicants.

You don't have to listen to me. I just think it's wiser for you to listen to someone who's already been through this himself over ppl who will be applying and only have information by reading SDN without any personal experience. I would say my app this current year was slightly weaker than yours but tooo not much. I applied to all those schools you were mentioning...NY schools, Drexel, Tulane, GW, etc. I only got 1 interview, which was from my state scool that is FRIENDLY to in-staters unlike your CA schools, and it resulted in a waitlist. I essentially wasted $2,000. I spoke with several of the schools' deans over the phone, and they all told me it was because of my MCAT. "Your GPA is competitive but your MCAT is not. Retake it." They don't even seem to seriously read your application if you don't have the #s they want. I had a 3.7 and 27R (8, 10, 9), though, so your #s are slightly higher...perhaps high enough to worth chancing all that money. IDK...

Rocketbooster, probably, you're right. I'll definitely think about the strategy that you told me about. Anyway, I SINCERELY wish you a good luck in this cycle. You seem to be a very perseverant and patient person who genuinely wants to make it to medschool. I wish you to get an acceptance during this cycle to the school you want! BONA SORT!!!!

Oh goody. Thats my score:love:. Of course I got a 9 in VR. But im hoping that my other 12 and 11 will make up for that as well as my ECs.

PEACE

SO amcas doesnt start processing apps until june 2nd. and even then they say that it takes like 4 to 6 weeks to process because it will undoubtedly be a "busy period". I need some advice guys

Do you think I should apply as early as humanly possibly. Or be a little late and have a research publication added to my application package. I was just accepted to a fellowship. I dont really know what to do. How late do you think is late to send in your amcas?:D

Just happy to help. Its like my mentor sais "Numbers are important but medical schools want passion." I got a 32 and i must say with your credentials you probably have a better chance at getting into medical school then me. I accept everyone for who they are and what they believe but I certainly dont speak 7 languages, thats terrific!!. You will get in. You're resume is beautiful in my opinion it could make many admissions committee members blush.

Just happy to help. Its like my mentor sais "Numbers are important but medical schools want passion." I got a 32 and i must say with your credentials you probably have a better chance at getting into medical school then me. I accept everyone for who they are and what they believe but I certainly dont speak 7 languages, thats terrific!!. You will get in. You're resume is beautiful in my opinion it could make many admissions committee members blush.

Thanks, Studoc20! I'm sure you'll get in as well.

Also, I misspelled in my previous message: I meant to say "I am NOT aiming at top-notch schools", since I don't believe I have much luck there, but if one truly and genuinely wants to become a physician, the fact that he/she doesn't get into one of the top 20 should not DETER him from making his/her dream. The truth is - a student of Harvard and NY Med, for example, is that Harvard's graduate is a doctor, and NY Med is a doctor too -->>>>>>ZERO DIFFERENCE.

Thanks everybody again for support and good luck in apps!!!!

P.S. Also, Studoc20, I don't know much about when is the best time to apply, but if you have a chance to have your research published and demonstrate it in your app, DO SO!!!! It will make your application look super strong!!! I guess, as long as you apply not later than mid July, you'll be just fine! But if you think, you'll have it published in September, for example, then, I guess, it's better to apply earlier, and then add it to your app, when you have it published. Good luck!

AAMC avg:
PS:13
VR:10
BS:12

Real:
PS:14
VR:10
BS:12
writing: N :scared:

super pleased with my scores. kinda scared about the low writing though

congrats everyone! it's been great goin through this with others

Hey everyone, congratulations on all the fantastic scores, really impressive. Long time lurker, but figured I should post my score...

April 2008
PS: 7
VR: 10
BS: 8

25S

Practice AAMC:
PS AVG: 11
VR AVG: 10.5
BS AVG: 12

April 2009:
PS: 12
VR: 10
BS: 10

32Q

A 7-point jump from the last time I took it, can't complain. Honestly, I thought I killed the BS section, but overall just ended up doing ok.

And if he is still lurking and happens to cross this thread, thanks alot Vihsadas for putting that study guide together. Helped me immensely the second time around, very very much appreciated.

if you dont mind me asking, how did you improve your score? What did you do the first time and what did you do differently the 2nd time? It looks like I took my tests the same time you did, however my first score was 27 and my 2nd was 28. I only went up one point each for PS and BS, i went DOWN one point for VR. =(

I am really reconsidering taking it again in July 31st. Please help me and let me know your studying strategy because it seems like I am out of ways to study for this darn test

Just so you are aware, the average takes into account things like:

1) URMs who were admitted with low MCAT scores
2) State schools who are much more forgiving of a low MCAT score
3) BS/MD programs that require a 26 or 27 from their students in order to continue in the program

These types of things probably represent a good portion of the "below the average" group that you're talking about.

Of course, if one of these situations represents you, you're in much better shape.

Just to post some information. My friend graduated with a 3.9 and took the mcat twice pulling a 28 boths times. He applied 2 years in a row to his state schools (both UMDNJ RWJ and NJMS) and was rejected both years. I would not depend on in state love all that much. he also had published research articles etc. you want your app to be as flawless as possible as why I did not even bother wasting my money last years with my gpa and i decided to make it stronger. I would however with your stats apply to MD schools but I would apply to 30. and add 4 or 5 DO schools to be safe. it should come out to be around 1500 dollars for primarys but youll hold an acceptance somewhere IMO. the 29 is not that bad of a score either. I have not gone through the whole process but I would be smart about it looking at schools that are oos friendly that take a lower gpa or mcat etc. look into tulane and a lot of the ny schools. include DO schools(nothing wrong with that) good luck to you