The 07/18/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supafield

Dream Big
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unless I'm inept at finding threads it looks like there is no threads for this date or most of the July ones...

So good luck to all of you writing, this is my second go of it... and I want to do really well.... and am happy to offer advice about the whole process from my first time around.... feel free to ask

take care

Members don't see this ad.

is everyone done or almost done with their content review and moving onto practice tests and such?

btw. this thread is extremely dead. makes me wonder how many people are actually taking the mcat on 7/18

Haha, I wish. I still have organic chemistry to tackle. But I have been taking AMCAS practice exams when I have time on the weekends and I seem to remember a fair bit of ORGO from college. I haven't been posting a whole lot because I've been studying or working on my app (and going to work during the day, blah).

For verbal... have you tried taking a section untimed? That might help you determine if your difficulty is because you're rushing or because you're having trouble with the trickiness of the questions. Try attacking the test with confidence--I try to have the attitude that I won't let the test trick me into giving the wrong answers. If you can help it, I would avoid skipping passages because you never really know which ones will be easier or more intuitive until you've started them (and at that point, you might as well give it a shot). I like the Audio Osmosis verbal strategy (not sure if it is the same as EK?).

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a good day.... my first mock (AAMC 7) was a score I would be happy to take home on the actual thing!
I've learned not to bank on mock scores after my first go around but it's still nice to start off well.

Despite feeling very uncertain throughout both PS and BS.... and PS I felt I would have easily jumped a pt or two if I had reviewed equations quickly...

A quick update... I decided to take my first mock the day after I finished reviewing all the sciences at least once....

So while I recognized everything haha I forgot a lot already and can't wait to take another test after reviewing and having everything fresh....

ahha and after actually remember ORGO .... 33/34 on the Bio questions, 10/18 on the orgo... haha I'm pretty sure of those 10, 5 were good guesses...

Well that's just an update to keep the thread alive! hope all is well for everyone else

Umm hello all. I too am scheduled to take the exam on July 18th for the first time. I am currently taking the Kaplan course and following their schedule as much as possible. We took an exam last week and I got 7's all around.

So sitting at a 21 and aiming for a 30 makes me feel as though I should push my exam back lol. July 4th is the last day to switch the date! What do you guys think???

Thanks a bunch!

i would say take one more exam and go from there. one exam imo isn't enough to make such a big decision. see how you do on another FL and then go from there.

just my 2 cents

good advice, also theres quite the learning curve i find...

when i took in august 06

my practices went 17,18,24,29,31,33,31, real 31....
so there was a steep increase and then a plateau ... try out another one

I too am a first timer on July 18, and I'm getting antsy as well. Been doing fine lately on practice tests, but still suck at VR.

Hey, nice to see this thread alive :) Took my 1st AAMC this past weekend too. Kind of exciting, until I found out the one I took (4) was supposed to be one of the easier ones. ha! Well, I killed the o-chem (the handful of Qs that were there), but forgot a bunch of physics (Doppler equations!) that were easy pts.

Verbal felt easier than EK for some reason. Overall, I was kind of surprised by the lack of calculations on that test vs all the EK practice problems I'd been doing. Maybe that was just a fluke test.

Onwards and upwards.

Thanks for the advice guys! I will take another full length tomorrow and report my progress... how exciting! I hope to start taking them every three days until the last week. My o-chem is my weakest subject but I think it is smarter to focus oh physics and gen chem because they make up a greater portion of the exam.

Only 22 days till the grand finale!!! craaaap

Thanks for the advice guys! I will take another full length tomorrow and report my progress... how exciting! I hope to start taking them every three days until the last week. My o-chem is my weakest subject but I think it is smarter to focus oh physics and gen chem because they make up a greater portion of the exam.

Hey, nice to see this thread alive :) Took my 1st AAMC this past weekend too. Kind of exciting, until I found out the one I took (4) was supposed to be one of the easier ones. ha! Well, I killed the o-chem (the handful of Qs that were there), but forgot a bunch of physics (Doppler equations!) that were easy pts.

Verbal felt easier than EK for some reason. Overall, I was kind of surprised by the lack of calculations on that test vs all the EK practice problems I'd been doing. Maybe that was just a fluke test.

Onwards and upwards.

I actually thought that AAMC 4 was one of the harder ones! Maybe that was just me?

Members don't see this ad :)
so i havent been following this thread too closely and dont know if my question has been answered elsewhere, but, is the real MCAT this summer that much more difficult than the practice AAMCs? I heard they were stepping it up on the Physical.

Hey everyone! Just wanted to give an update....
I took an exam today and scored a 25 (7P 8B 10V) Although thats not where I want to be, it is a lot better from where I started. Plus I got a 10 in verbal...

22 days and counting..I hope I can push my score up to a 30

Hey everyone! Just wanted to give an update....
I took an exam today and scored a 25 (7P 8B 10V) Although thats not where I want to be, it is a lot better from where I started. Plus I got a 10 in verbal...

22 days and counting..I hope I can push my score up to a 30

Awesome! if you're anything like me in the beginning you'll improve quickly... and then level off within a few points.... so if you're still in the climbing stage hopefully more good things to come!

hey everyone. I just got my scores back from the 5/27 MCAT.
I got a 6 in PS so I have decided to go ahead and take the MCAT again on July 18th. That score doesn't meet the cut-off for a few schools...its just too much of a red flag for me NOT to try and fix.
a little bummed...but still persevering!

Took AAMC #3 Wednesday. At this rate, I'm going to run out of AAMC tests by like the 8th. Hmm... wonder what I should do the last 10 days? I have a bunch of TPR tests but I don't really want to start with AAMC and finish with TPR tests that ruin my confidence and are totally not representative. Maybe I'll just do content review or redo some AAMC tests? Or, maybe I'll spend the extra time on genetics. I'm kinda wary after that June report of ppl getting killed on the BS section.

How's everyone doing?

I will start taking the AAMC tests on Sunday. I have already taken them all (except AAMC 10) because I took the 5/31 test. But I don't think I did too well, so I signed up for this test. I am really losing motivation to study though.
I also ordered a book on genetics that some people were talking about on SDN, so hopefully that will help if we have a lot of genetics on our test.

I will start taking the AAMC tests on Sunday. I have already taken them all (except AAMC 10) because I took the 5/31 test. But I don't think I did too well, so I signed up for this test. I am really losing motivation to study though.
I also ordered a book on genetics that some people were talking about on SDN, so hopefully that will help if we have a lot of genetics on our test.

Hey, is it the Schaum's Outline? I was just reading that thread. I wonder if I should order it too.

that is my plan also. take tests, review tests, review material.

3 more weeks everyone!!!

stay strong

Anybody taking theirs in Van Nuys, CA?

I've been studying for a few months now, and i can't seem to improve my verbal score which is stuck at about 8 or 9. Any suggestions?

Anybody taking theirs in Van Nuys, CA?

I've been studying for a few months now, and i can't seem to improve my verbal score which is stuck at about 8 or 9. Any suggestions?

What have you done so far?

Hey, is it the Schaum's Outline? I was just reading that thread. I wonder if I should order it too.

Yeah it's Schaums outline...I actually ordered the genetics, physics, and general chemistry outlines...it only came to about $40 for those 3 books and that is including shipping...each book is only $12 new and around $8 used, so pretty good deal. I figured anything will help!

Hope everyone's study is going according to schedule..
I had a quick question for those of you who have taken the MCAT before...would you happen to know whats the resolution of monitor screen that you do the test on?

My screen is 1680x1080 and its throwing me off slightly...i'm used to reading small lines as in EK verbal..

i will never be done with content review! it seems like from reviewing stuff the first time three months ago, i need to review the details again just to keep stuff fresh! that is all i am doing these days, content review and an occasional AAMC full length. what is everyone else doing?

HI Twinnie,

I feel the same as you. I feel like I keep forgetting some of the content... and I have to keep going back to review, which for me feels like such a waste of time.

So I took my third FL today (AAMC 3R) and got (10,7,9) which is an increase in PS for me but a decrease in VR. Only 2.5 weeks left and I feel I am getting no where. I know some of the questions I am guesstimating luckily so maybe this is actually a higher score than what I should be getting. Which is a real bummer!!

I'm not even done with content review... BOO!!

I am so scared that I am considering pushing my test date back again.... Yikes!!

I hope everyone else is having better luck than I am. :luck: GL studying everyone!! I wish the best during all your studies...and the real deal too!!!

QMeister,
I wouldn't push your date back again unless you feel you really need to! Otherwise, you will sacrifice on applying earlylish. But of course, you know what is best for you. How have you been doing on your other full lengths? Which ones have you taken?

The other 2 I did were:
Kaplan FL7: 6,8,9
Kaplan Diagnostics: 6,8,11

I did those about a month ago..

I've been focusing my studies on the PS since I was weakest in those areas. So I'm stoked that there is some improvement in this area. I just hope I keep it up and that it's not just a fluke... Yikes!

I haven't even started studying for BS yet .. we'll see how that goes. I need to brush up on Bio...

How about you? Which FLs have u taken. I hope your finding better success than I am. :)

Qmeister- from what I hear Kaplan tests are pretty hard. So you might actually score higher on the AAMC tests, I would try taking a few more AAMC tests and maybe you will see an improvement. I will agree that it is frustrating not to see any improvement though. On one of the AAMC tests, I forget which one, my PS improved 2 points but my verbal decreased 1 and BS decreased 2! It's like 2 steps forward, 3 steps back! So frustrating! But there's still time to see improvement! Good luck!

Finally just finished content review. What a wild & crazy Friday night. ;)

I'm taking AAMC 6 tomorrow and 7 on Sunday. Hopefully my brain retains all the orgo I've re-crammed into it the past week. Good luck studying everyone!

good luck you guys, keep studying efficiently!

here's a quote that i now follow:

"people ask me why i work so hard? i say why not?"

StarStup- Thanks for the words of encouragement. I don't mind if they're harder... hoping that the real thing is a tiny bit easier. The harder the practice, the better the real thing right?

I'm taking the whole weekend off since I have an important event this weekend but I need a break since I've been going at it for a couple weeks straight now. And then back to the real deal Monday.

I'm gonna aim for one FL each day up until a few days before the big day!!

kautionwirez - nice response to others.. I will keep that in mind.. hopefully I can use it as motivation to myself as well... =D

GL all!!!!

I have kinda taken the weekend off as well. I might even go canoeing tomorrow! I am going to start taking practice tests on monday and then take them every other day until the week before the test. I think that will atleast boost my motivation...it's really hard though when the weather is nice. Oh well, it's only like 3 more weeks...I keep telling myself that :D

What have you done so far?

For verbal, not a whole lot. Just practice. All in all, I have taken probably 5 AAMC tests, 5 Kaplan tests and 5 TPR tests, all full length.

For BS and PS, I read the TPR books, but I just figured that there really is no way to study for VR, other than practice.

So far I have just been practicing. What does everyone else do to improve in VR?

The other 2 I did were:
Kaplan FL7: 6,8,9
Kaplan Diagnostics: 6,8,11

I did those about a month ago..

I've been focusing my studies on the PS since I was weakest in those areas. So I'm stoked that there is some improvement in this area. I just hope I keep it up and that it's not just a fluke... Yikes!

I haven't even started studying for BS yet .. we'll see how that goes. I need to brush up on Bio...

How about you? Which FLs have u taken. I hope your finding better success than I am. :)

I have been studying on and off for the past four months, I took a TPR class and half assed the homework. But so far, I think things are going okay. I have taken (one each sunday, with AAMC 8 tomorrow):
AAMC 3:9PS/9V/8B
AAMC 4:9 PS/12V/9B
AAMC 6: 11PS/11V/11B
AAMC 7: 12PS/12V/10B
As you can see, I improved pretty quickly by just taking the tests, and probably doing no more than a few hours of content review a week for the past month. I am sure that your Kaplan tests are MUCH harder, as I know I got a 17 on my first TPR! (Compared to a 26 on AAMC!) You seem to do really well on Bio, which is good! I am sure the score will translate to an even higher one on AAMCs which I suggest you take instead. Also, I found EK Verbal 101 book was very good.

Good luck studying, let me know if I can give ya any advice, I appreciate any given to me as well. I am starting to lack motivation to study....:oops:

i'm running out of steam over here. 3 weeks to go!!

Yeah, I just did NOTHING the last 2 days. Yay, me! ha Well, I had an excuse today as I wanted to take a practice AAMC but TPR's site which gives me access was down all frickin' morning. So, I've got a date with AAMC #5 tomorrow morning, 8 AM sharp...

Speaking of, when is everyone taking the test? I'm signed up for 8 AM but now I'm like, why the hell did I do that? I haven't even been able to wake up that early for the longest time... so I'm trying really hard to switch my schedule around and getting used to getting up early.

Wait, was there an option other than 8:00am on the 18th? Probably too late to worry about it now. I get up early for work every day, but the MCAT is a bit different than coasting through meetings in the morning. I'm contemplating waking up even earlier (5:00am ish?) the next few weeks and doing some verbal passages so that my brain gets used to being engaged that early.

How are you guys planning on dealing with the fact that we'll have to be 110% by 8:00am?

How are you guys planning on dealing with the fact that we'll have to be 110% by 8:00am?

I took the MCAT in 8/2007 and got a 28 so maybe this advice isn't coming from the most qualified person, but I found that a combination of waking up early the week of the exam (i.e. the time you'd get up in order to make it to the test site on time) and being mentally pumped (yes, pumped) makes the fact that it's 8am just kind of fade off into the distance.

Also, taking practice tests at 8am gives you a good idea of what's required to chug all the way through until 2pm.

In other news: is anyone finding it incredibly hard to actually practice the writing section? I got a Q last time around and I haven't thought about writing since... PS seems more important at the present time.

i agree with the previous posters. getting up early(er) like we would be doing on the 18th for the next couple of weeks until the test day. getting pumped is def going to be key.

good luck on the practice tests everyone

Hey! Yeah I am taking the 8am test as well. I took the 8am 5/31 test too. I think taking it earlier will turn out to be better because you aren't thinking about it all morning till the afternoon session. I think I would go crazy waiting till the afternoon exam...but that's just me. We have time to get our morning routine down so that is good. Make sure that if you drink coffee in the morning you drink it the morning of the test....maybe just not as much! I am starting to get up early too. For the test I got up at 630am and had a good breakfast with some coffee and that worked out well. Also the adrenaline keeps you going, atleast through the PS section.

I took the MCAT in 8/2007 and got a 28 so maybe this advice isn't coming from the most qualified person, but I found that a combination of waking up early the week of the exam (i.e. the time you'd get up in order to make it to the test site on time) and being mentally pumped (yes, pumped) makes the fact that it's 8am just kind of fade off into the distance.

Also, taking practice tests at 8am gives you a good idea of what's required to chug all the way through until 2pm.

In other news: is anyone finding it incredibly hard to actually practice the writing section? I got a Q last time around and I haven't thought about writing since... PS seems more important at the present time.

Sort of... the only time I practice writing is when I take the full-length AAMC practice test. I always take those in their entirety with all the Qs, so when I do I do the writing section timed too. I think a key to scoring well is spending the time to come up with examples that really work well. I don't think my writing has really changed that much test to test, but sometimes a good example will pop up to me and other times I'm kind of stretching things. When the example is good, they seem to score my essay well.

Hey! Yeah I am taking the 8am test as well. I took the 8am 5/31 test too. I think taking it earlier will turn out to be better because you aren't thinking about it all morning till the afternoon session. I think I would go crazy waiting till the afternoon exam...but that's just me. We have time to get our morning routine down so that is good. Make sure that if you drink coffee in the morning you drink it the morning of the test....maybe just not as much! I am starting to get up early too. For the test I got up at 630am and had a good breakfast with some coffee and that worked out well. Also the adrenaline keeps you going, atleast through the PS section.

i agree with that. I would go crazy just waiting for the time to come.

Sort of... the only time I practice writing is when I take the full-length AAMC practice test. I always take those in their entirety with all the Qs, so when I do I do the writing section timed too. I think a key to scoring well is spending the time to come up with examples that really work well. I don't think my writing has really changed that much test to test, but sometimes a good example will pop up to me and other times I'm kind of stretching things. When the example is good, they seem to score my essay well.

Definitely. Also, the writing section adds on another hour to the test, so in order to get all the timing down for the test it is important to have that hour. Especially since that extra hour may wear you down for the BS section. Gotta train for it.

For verbal, not a whole lot. Just practice. All in all, I have taken probably 5 AAMC tests, 5 Kaplan tests and 5 TPR tests, all full length.

For BS and PS, I read the TPR books, but I just figured that there really is no way to study for VR, other than practice.

So far I have just been practicing. What does everyone else do to improve in VR?

Make sure to go over your mistakes... and don't just understand the answer but the type of mistakes you're making, like recall, or failing to go back to the passage, inference... and see if you can find any patterns... that may help a bit.