The 07/18/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supafield

Dream Big
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unless I'm inept at finding threads it looks like there is no threads for this date or most of the July ones...

So good luck to all of you writing, this is my second go of it... and I want to do really well.... and am happy to offer advice about the whole process from my first time around.... feel free to ask

take care

Members don't see this ad.

culturedoc---remember that some admissions counsel could see it as your continued determination to be a physician. That's what you need to try to think of it as. I know people accepted to great schools with lower scores and people rejected to all their schools with 6 points higher:)

I completely agree. The only thing I didn't know was the rotation stuff, and I decided one concept wasn't going to kill me. Argh!

But I'm curious . . . can you ask for a regrade at any time? So, if thewendster, for example, gets his/her regrade back with a better score, can I then change my mind and go for it? Or is it now or never??

you've got 30 days for a regrade. apparently there is only one women who does the multiple choice regrades because I called AMCAS today to see if my regrade request was in and the girl was like, "hang on, let me over to her desk and see if it's there".

i was thinking of getting a regrade on one of the MC sections, but is this worth it? I thought I did a lot better on this particular section...

also how long after our test can we request a regrade? at what point will they no longer regrade?

oh i just saw the post above..so we have 30 days for a regrade.. also what is the contact number?!?! i keep getting automated service all the way!

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Only re-take in September if your goal is to increase your MCAT score by a point or two, and if you are certain that you can get the same or higher than what you already got.

For me, I have a 11-9-13-S, which is a great score, but a 10 in Verbal is important for me, because that is usually the cut off for schools that consider the MCAT in Ontario (except for Toronto). But even then I am finding it a bit of a risk to re-take it in September in hopes of getting a 10 in verbal.

If you want to significantly improve, I suggest re-taking in January and to study for this test from the beginning and not where you left off. As I'm sure most people will tell you, the key is writing those mock MCATs more than it is to study the textbooks.

Sup guys....I am another july 18th test taker that felt that he got screwed BIG time. I got a 7PS 6VR 11BS OWS...:eek::eek::eek::eek:. I averaged a 9-10PS and 10-11VR on all my kaplan and aamc tests and walked out of the testing center feeling super confident that I either hit my average practice scores or got a higher score.....and so when I got my scores on monday I just about lost it....I had to log out and log in five or six times to convince myself that what I was seeing wasn't a hallucination.....with that said... I sent my re-score request on tuesday and I'm hoping that this bad dream ends....I hope those that feel that they were screwed on this test do the same...I figure that the more re-score requests that are sent...the higher probability of AAMC hooking us up with the scores we deserve!!! MUHAHAHA..:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I completely agree. The only thing I didn't know was the rotation stuff, and I decided one concept wasn't going to kill me. Argh!

Me. Right here. Stunned doesn't even begin to cover it for me. Every time my phone rings, I'm hoping it's the AAMC calling to profusely apologize and inform me that there was a huge glitch in the scoring system. (fat chance, but I prefer fantasy-land to real life right now :laugh: . . . and those of you saying things about being shocked and the AAMC getting lots of regrade requests are fueling my delusions!)

I haven't posted on here much, but I posted after the test becuase I felt so darn good about it, and now I'm here to commisserate with those who feel as shocked and devastated as I do. (oh and to briefly congratulate those out there not affected by this apparent scoring glitch ;))

K, so here's my story. Re-applicant this year, 3rd time taking the test. First time (May '07) was a 28. I also have a lower ugrad GPA, so I freaked out then and signed up for an August '07 test date. I managed to raise it to a 30, but only because I timed the VR properly that time and raised that score to a 13. PS stayed at an 8 (ugh), and BS actually went down a point to 9 (d'oh!), so that was quite aggravating. I knew that I had studied pathetically little for the sciences both times, so I was pretty positive that I could bump those significantly . . . so, this year I started studying again, hard core, did well on practice tests, and walked out of the 7/18 test date feeling like I owned it. Well, the unthinkable happened, and I scored a 29 (VR12/PS8/BS9). Given that I was expecting at least a 32, and possibly a 34 or 35, this was a knife to the heart . . . particularly because:
a) if there was even the slightest doubt in my mind that I had done worse or the same, I would have voided. I was totally prepared to do that if I thought it was rough . . . but I didn't. I thought I had lucked out and gotten one of the easiest AAMCs I had ever taken. :smack:
b) I apparently wasted a heck of a lot of time/money/energy on this test when I could have just applied with the scores I already had. Excuse me, :barf:
c) what MD school in this fine nation is going to take someone who can't improve, even on her THIRD try???????? I feel like I added a GIANT black mark/red flag to my record. Arrrrggghhhh!

So yeah, I thought about doing a regrade, but with my luck, the dang score would go down some more! And even if it just stayed the same, it might be a greater blow to my ego to hear that someone hand-scored it, and yes, I did actually get that many wrong. This notion of a computer error is comforting me a little right now. :laugh:

But I'm curious . . . can you ask for a regrade at any time? So, if thewendster, for example, gets his/her regrade back with a better score, can I then change my mind and go for it? Or is it now or never??

If it makes you feel any better (which I'm sure it will), I took the test 5 times, going from a 20 to a 16, to a 21, to a 21, to a 26 (the first two were from back in the day...paper tests). Most of you will say I have a fat chance, but you know what, I don't care what statistics say...I know I tried my best, and I know that someday, somehow, I will be a doctor (and no my options are not only DO). That's the attitude most of us on here should have, and you should be proud of your scores regardless of what they were (unless you know for sure you didn't give it your all...). As the saying goes, "work with what you got!!" Be confident and transcend that feeling throughout your application.

Or you can wait till next year...more room for me! :D

Salsanchiplvr - You Rock! Keep the good advice and encouragement coming!
I'm at work telling one of the PNP's about my score, so she says have you considered becoming a NP and how I could be done w/ all this and doing practically the same thing as a DR. but in less time... But I was like NO! To be a NP, you first want to be a RN and that's just not what I want, so I explained this to her and believe she somewhat understood but not really. I know that becoming a RN would never make me happy. So to all of us who are unhappy w/ our results... Keep the faith b/c we WILL become Doctors. These poor MCAT scores are just minor obstacles in our path to achieving our dream. It is truly a matter at how we chose to handle them that will determine our success.

I talked to my advisor today... and she tried to help me look at the score differently. She said to not just see it as a 1 point increase, rather that I went up in Bio by 2 and up in Physics by 1 and that some schools will she this in a positive way. She said that she would take my app to one of our state schools and talk to the Dean of Admissions about the Jan Test. She's actually been really great about everything and says that the MCAT is really my only downfall.
She suggested that I get all 1001 Examkrackers and start on them in ~2 weeks buyt for the time being - just chillout. (Really hard to do right now)

Sorry for the long post...I said I woudl keep a few of you posted...

" Whatever the mind can conceive & believe, he can achieve" Napoleon Hill

I'm on the same "I think I just got GYPPED" boat. This was my second time taking the test, and I walked out with a heck of a lot more confidence than last year. I checked my score was like :eek::confused::scared::eek::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek: for quite some time. I don't know what else to say - I guess others felt the same way. I don't know about retaking - I'm already over this test.

I wanted to ask though, although I know the WS is not a big deal really - I got an S the first time I took the test, and now this time I got an O (I knew I wrote garbage for the second prompt on the 7/18 exam). Is that alright? I mean...i DID get an S the first time.....

I agree too. I was doing ok on practice tests, certainly not expecting a real score in the mid-30's. But leaving the test, I definitely thought AT LEAST a 29/30 would be thrown my way. Let's just say not even close. I don't get it. I really don't. Are there a bunch of people who scored in the 40's hiding somewhere?

Oh well. Not much can be done I guess. But I too secretly hope that we'll get a notice saying the series/tests were confused. So people with high scores can keep them and lower scores are adjusted -- fat chance, I know.... :( I have been mad depressed since getting my score. I will not take the test again either. I don't trust it. Too expensive and there's no confirmation that day of number right/wrong (which we know is possible) or even a bone thrown to you afterward about the overall range of scores.

Sith happens.

culturedoc---remember that some admissions counsel could see it as your continued determination to be a physician. That's what you need to try to think of it as. I know people accepted to great schools with lower scores and people rejected to all their schools with 6 points higher:)

Thanks for the support - you rock! :D

This is indeed the thought I'm focusing on right now. In June I had talked to an assistant dean for admissions at one of the schools I applied to last year, and I asked how they view taking the MCAT 3 times. He said that while it's not exacly ideal, it does show determination. No one wants to take this test once, let alone twice, and certainly not three times! I'm hoping this is what they'll see from me. (We need a "fingers crossed" smiley!)

I will not take the test again either. I don't trust it. Too expensive and there's no confirmation that day of number right/wrong (which we know is possible) or even a bone thrown to you afterward about the overall range of scores.

Sith happens.

True dat.

The first time I took this beast, I KNEW I was big time underprepared, but I walked out feeling ok because I thought I had managed to pull it off . . . and actually I did get my best score on BS that time (crazy!). Second time, I felt way more prepared; I finished the PS that time, and thought I'd CERTAINLY do better. And I did, but only in VR. And then, of course, this time, where I was POSITIVE my score would be fantastic in all sections . . . and only the VR lived up to that prediction. In my rather long academic career, I had never before walked out of a test feeling good and then been surprised by the result. You can just never tell with the MCAT. It really makes you wonder about those curves and experimental questions . . .

I'm too nervous to look at my score right now. I'm at work, and I fear that I might start bawling if I get a bad score.

I was planning on taking the mcat in september, but I guess it seems kind of stupid considering I haven't picked up a book in weeks. January...please be kind to me.

I know exactly what you mean. When my MCAT score was released last September (8/14/07 exam), I waited about 3 weeks to check my score. I was soooo scared to find out the results that I didn't want to even think about it. For anyone wondering, I got 9/9/9 = 27P on that exam.

In my rather long academic career, I had never before walked out of a test feeling good and then been surprised by the result. You can just never tell with the MCAT. It really makes you wonder about those curves and experimental questions . . .

I feel like we may have all been on a Candid Camera-type prank show or something! In all seriousness though, everything looked so straightforward - in all sections! I should have known right off the bat the AAMC would never be so kind :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
i think im going for a regrade. its just really hard knowing that i walked out of the test thinking i did extremely well, but instead my score shows i did EXTREMELY BAD. anyone else going for a regrade? how long does it take?

also, have their ever been mistakes on MC sections?!?! i want to regrade.. but dont want false hope if NO ONE has ever had a score changed (other than writing)

So many people have had issues with their scores, do you think AAMC had a major mixup in the scoring? I know it is computerized, but I am amazed at how many posts there are of people having scoring issues. Especially in verbal- so many people scoring 9/10+ on practices got <7 on the real thing? Something's wrong here.

Last edited:
I am just wondering about the physical science section... but I will not ask for a regrade. I thought it was a very tough section and was hoping that there would be a curve... but I think it was just nerves in the end which screwed me up

Yeah verbal was a shocker for me. I was scoring between 10-13 on verbal on every practice test I had taken (Kaplan, EK, AAMC full lengths, even my Kaplan diag). I got a 9 on the real thing last year and was hoping to raise it this year...instead I went down! :confused:

Dude who the fk got 40+ please tell me so I can take them out for screwing my chances at getting into medical haha. Jking congrats to those who did.

So many people have had issues with their scores, do you think AAMC had a major mixup in the scoring? I know it is computerized, but I am amazed at how many posts there are of people having scoring issues. Especially in verbal- so many people scoring 9/10+ on practices got <7 on the real thing? Something's wrong here.

My diagnostic in VR was an 8. After that, I was consistently scoring 10 and 11. I ended up with a 6 on 7/18.

I just got my scores this morning because I was out of town on a service trip and away from a computer since last Saturday. Waiting was not too fun, as I'm sure you can imagine.

AAMC Averages:
VR: 10
PS: 12
BS: 12

Predicted:
VR: 10
PS: 12
BS: 13
WS: no idea, I was just hoping for average here.

Actual:
VR: 11
PS: 14
BS: 12
WS: P

37P! Very, very, VERY happy. Definitely worth the wait :)

Best of luck to everyone. I know there are a lot of tough decisions happening right now - but remember that everything works out in the end. If you want it badly enough, you will get it. Keep on rockin' in the free world.

I takes about 4 weeks for them to regrade your MCAT according to the website, and you have to turn in your request within 30 days of the time you received your score..

Salsanchiplvr - You Rock! Keep the good advice and encouragement coming!
I'm at work telling one of the PNP's about my score, so she says have you considered becoming a NP and how I could be done w/ all this and doing practically the same thing as a DR. but in less time... But I was like NO! To be a NP, you first want to be a RN and that's just not what I want, so I explained this to her and believe she somewhat understood but not really. I know that becoming a RN would never make me happy. So to all of us who are unhappy w/ our results... Keep the faith b/c we WILL become Doctors. These poor MCAT scores are just minor obstacles in our path to achieving our dream. It is truly a matter at how we chose to handle them that will determine our success.

I talked to my advisor today... and she tried to help me look at the score differently. She said to not just see it as a 1 point increase, rather that I went up in Bio by 2 and up in Physics by 1 and that some schools will she this in a positive way. She said that she would take my app to one of our state schools and talk to the Dean of Admissions about the Jan Test. She's actually been really great about everything and says that the MCAT is really my only downfall.
She suggested that I get all 1001 Examkrackers and start on them in ~2 weeks buyt for the time being - just chillout. (Really hard to do right now)

Sorry for the long post...I said I woudl keep a few of you posted...

" Whatever the mind can conceive & believe, he can achieve" Napoleon Hill

Aw thanks...being positive is the ONLY way to survive all the obtascles this career brings :)

Anyway, congrats on getting good news from your advisor! MCATs are my only downfall too, so as long as you can increase your score to that "acceptable" range, you'll be fine! And about your score, you're advisor is completely right. Everything about this process has a pesimistic and optimistic way of seeing it...in order to continue you ALWAYS have to look at the bright side of things. In my case, I might have only gotten a 26 after 5 flippin times of taking this damn thing, but looking at my individual sections I actually increased 3 points in PS and 3 points in BS (went down one in VR but whatever) which is HUGE.

Best of luck with the possible retake and definitely get back on that study-wagon as soon as possible! This last time I studied for 17 weeks straight...it was hell but it was worth it at the end...you might just need to study a little harder than most other students, but with dedication and perseverance, anything is possible :D Take care and again, keep us (me hehe) posted!

My last post was furious as my average practice score was consistently higher than my actual score. I marked 13s on each science section on AAMC practice tests and then got an 11/10 PS/BS for the 7/18 exam. I feel that something must have gone wrong, and even though there is no accountability for AAMC to report a different score if an error is found, I'm going to request a manual re-score. Whatever the results are I will post them here, for posterity.

I don't think it's a good idea to blame outside forces for outcomes you can determine, but there is a huge disconnect between what I felt I would score and what was actually reported, so I will request another look.

Congratulations to everyone who made a passable score and good luck to those asking for a re-evaluation, or preparing for the next challenge of applying.

I'm going to request a manual re-score.

I don't understand the huge number of people requesting manual rescores for the multiple choice sections. As has already been mentioned by quite a few, there is no "misgrading" when it comes to what you marked on the CBT exam. If it makes you feel better to do so, I guess $50 or whatever is it would be worth it for some for the "peace of mind".

As I have mentioned in my last post in this thread, I too was on the "gypped"/"conspiracy"/"score mixup"/etc. bandwagon. I felt like I did very well in PS but received a score beyond my comprehension (Predicted - 13, Actual - 9). However, the more logically I thought about it, it makes sense given the fact that there was probably a horrible "curve". Everyone complaining about their score on this thread (including myself) felt like "rocked" the section and/or were used to scoring very high on those sections on practice AAMCs (12-13s). This was evidenced by after-exam reactions on this thread and predictions before score-release on this thread. Although SDN is a very self-selective bunch of students and an "outlier" in terms of the actual MCAT examinee population set, I could not help but notice how an overwhelming majority of those that posted felt that the exam was relatively easy. I have looked at several other test date threads, and they contain no where near the amount of positive reactions as does this thread. Hence, I wouldn't be surprised if there probably was a huge amount of people that fell in the "peak" part of the "bell curve", thereby resulting in 1-2 questions wrong causing full point deviations in score in the 7-11 range. [Please excuse my lack of extensive knowledge in statistics; just trying to reason this out logically]

All I'm saying is that there is some sort of logical reasoning behind why some of us (including myself) are disappointed with scores in certain sections. I guess, in short, we got screwed for having an "easier" test. But I'm sure the AAMC knows this; as the onus is upon the test-maker to ensure that the exam results in a wide enough variation of scores in order to best apply the bell curve.

There's no conspiracy, but on the off chance that something went wrong, it would be a good thing to make a record of it.

It's far more likely I screwed up than the MCAT was screwed up, but I'm not satisfied and $50 may give me some peace of mind.

Anyone else requesting a re-score please post results under this topic.

OK...BREATHE!!! Listen to my story and you might just feel a little better:

Last September I took my first CBT...my third MCAT though. I studied as best as I knew how, and the best I did was also a one point increase (from a 20 to a 21). I had already submitted applications, but figured I should play my cards right and not spend any more money on random secondaries. I kept trying however with local schools...the ones I was able to walk into and hopefully talk my way into getting a secondary/interview. It worked for one school. My attitude? I have this score...so now what? I REALLY am passionate about this career so there are no other options for me...what was I suppose to do then? The admissions counselor decided to review my application, and after talking with the dean, they decided to give me an extension on retaking my MCATs in January. They gave me the secondary, I turned it in, and now it was just a matter of rocking the test come January. All I had to do was increase my 4 points. I studied like I never had before...January came, I didn't feel completely ready, but with the false motivation of the opportunity I was granted, I went for it.

A month later my score came back...THE SAME EXACT SCORE, LETTER AND ALL. I was COMPLETELY shocked...at that point they told me the "I'm sorry but your score is too low" speech, but told me to keep trying...try a post-bacc, retake the test, and then re-apply for the following year. I WAS SOOOOO BUMMED, but I knew I had no choice but to re-take. I was blessed with a wonderful friend that gave me private tutoring, and after 17 weeks of HARD CORE studying, I walked in and took the MCATs...for the fifth time. My score this time: a 26. Unfortunately its on the lower end of my practice score range (I was scoring 27-30s), but I don't care. I did it. I raised my score a whole 5 points (3 points in PS, 3 points in BS, and went down 1 in VR...but whatever), and I KNOW I worked my ass off for it. Schools just want a score, preferably above a 25...then they want experience, research, GPA, work experience, unique talents, peseverance...the list goes on. Sure I can retake, but doing so doesn't guarantee me a spot in a class no more than I can guarantee that I won't get in a car accident tomorrow.

SO ANYWAY, my advice? DO NOT RETAKE SO SOON!! Go into some of your local schools and present your case...make some phone calls. Work with what you got and build your confidence and self-esteem back up!! Two weeks is not enough to become emotionally stable enough to study and walk into that testing center confident; it's also rather unrealistic that you will learn the material and understand it well enough to increase your score by 7 points. I made that mistake in January (because I thought I had studied enough and also because I didn't believe in the stupid void button either) and all it did was put another tick mark on the number of times I've taken this stupid thing. This test IS doable, but you might just need outside help in learning how to study better for it, and most importantly getting a good grasp and understanding the material...it's really the only way to rock it. Then again who knows, you might still get in my writing a pursuasive personal statement...by your experiences, abilities, etc...YOU NEVER KNOW UNTIL YOU TRY!:)

BEST OF LUCK, and keep up posted on your decisions. I hope my story helped, and remember to never give up on your dream...I didn't, and no matter what road blocks I come across, I know that I will eventually find someone willing to give me a chance, and I will achieve my goals, regardless of my numerical scores :D Stay positive and best wishes!

You couldn't have said it better... I totally agree. I came out of my 7/18 MCAT feeling like I had scored lower than a 23. I ended up with a 26. I was a little disappointed, but after a little thinking, I realized that if med school is meant to be, I would get in. A month before MCAT I had some really personal, serious health problems that put me in two surgeries. My last surgery was 10 days before MCAT. I was emotionally and physically drained the day of the test, yet I still scored a 26. I think that's pretty darn good. Because I didn't feel very good about the test when I came out,I immediately rescheduled for August 22nd. I knew it would give me time to heal and then allow me to be more focused the day of the test. I just re-took on Friday and I felt much better (I didn't run out of time this time!). But we all know that feeling good about a test doesn't necessarily translate to good scores! So, if I do not do better, at least I tried. I truly feel that I have done the best that I could, considering my circumstances. We've all got circumstances and I believe that if a med school is a good fit for you, they will consider your circumstances, your perseverence, and your desire. I hate to see people getting so upset about scores. Please know that there is so much more to you than just a number! And if you can do your best to convince med schools of this, you WILL get in! Perseverence is key! Believe in yourself and work your butt off. For me, I do the best I can and I believe God will take care of the rest. For others, you may believe different, but do the best you can and believe in yourself! We are talented enough and somebody will recognize that!

I just want to make sure that after we get our MCAT scores... do we need to do anything to make sure the schools get them? From what I understand, as long as I didn't void (which I didn't cause i got my scores), then the schools will all automatically get the scores, right? Thanks in advance.

i think it depends on which schools you said to send them to? im not too sure but im pretty sure i checked which schools i wanted to send the scores to.

It gets sent out to all the schools you added on AMCAS, I'm pretty sure.

There are a couple I am stuck on... Stony Brook and Rosalind Franklin

Can't wait to get those over with!

I wanna work on secondaries haha. You know what you kids can have your secondaries Im too good for them jking. What are people up to now other than secondaries and school. Any one see Tropic thunder?

Anyone get the results of their regrade?? I am really interested to see what happens. I seriously considered getting mine regraded because of the verbal, but I think it must have been my bad, since the computer really isn't wrong.....I just can't seem to shake the feeling that the verbal was keyed wrong.....I know, wishful thinking on my part, but let me know how it turns out! Thanks!

Anyone get the results of their regrade?? I am really interested to see what happens. I seriously considered getting mine regraded because of the verbal, but I think it must have been my bad, since the computer really isn't wrong.....I just can't seem to shake the feeling that the verbal was keyed wrong.....I know, wishful thinking on my part, but let me know how it turns out! Thanks!

I sent my rescore request a day after the test results came out, but I haven't received a response yet. AAMC said it'll take about 4 weeks from the time they received the request...funny cause that's the same amount of time we have to send in a rescore request (within 30 days of scores being released). But, i'm in the same boat as you....I got 10's and 11's on all my AAMC/Kaplan VR section tests and landed up receiving a 6 on the real thing despite feeling really confident during that section??? So, for peace of mind, I just had to send in a rescore request...

I sent my rescore request a day after the test results came out, but I haven't received a response yet. AAMC said it'll take about 4 weeks from the time they received the request...funny cause that's the same amount of time we have to send in a rescore request (within 30 days of scores being released). But, i'm in the same boat as you....I got 10's and 11's on all my AAMC/Kaplan VR section tests and landed up receiving a 6 on the real thing despite feeling really confident during that section??? So, for peace of mind, I just had to send in a rescore request...

I really want to do it too, but I'm terrified that it will go down and then I wouldn't know what to do! I still have like a week to do it right??

I really want to do it too, but I'm terrified that it will go down and then I wouldn't know what to do! I still have like a week to do it right??

I was thinking the same thing as you, but I realized that it has gone down way more than I thought it ever would've and so the only change that could most reasonably take place is a higher score or the same score...We'll see. Yeah, I think you have a week-ish left...Might want to call AAMC to make sure.

I'm in the same boat. I was shocked speechless by my score. I haven't decided yet if I'll ask for a re-score.

I'm in the same boat. I was shocked speechless by my score. I haven't decided yet if I'll ask for a re-score.

This is the main reason why I decided to send in a re-score request:

I averaged a 10-11 on all of the AAMC verbal reasoning sections which generally had this scoring breakdown...

40/40 = 15
39/40 = 14
38/40 = 13
35-37/40 = 12
33-34/40 = 11
29-32 = 10
26-29 = 9
24-25 = 8
21-23 = 7
19-21 = 6 (50% wrong!!!:eek::eek:)
0-19 = 0-5

Even if we assume that this VR section was super duper easy and a lot of people got fifteens, I just can't comprehend how we could've made that big of a jump from a 10-11 to a 6!! I know it would be ridiculous to think that AAMC and their foolproof system would fail, but even the AAMC is bound to have some mishaps occur....Computers aren't perfect and neither are the people managing them....

This is the main reason why I decided to send in a re-score request:

I averaged a 10-11 on all of the AAMC verbal reasoning sections which generally had this scoring breakdown...

40/40 = 15
39/40 = 14
38/40 = 13
35-37/40 = 12
33-34/40 = 11
29-32 = 10
26-29 = 9
24-25 = 8
21-23 = 7
19-21 = 6 (50% wrong!!!:eek::eek:)
0-19 = 0-5

Even if we assume that this VR section was super duper easy and a lot of people got fifteens, I just can't comprehend how we could've made that big of a jump from a 10-11 to a 6!! I know it would be ridiculous to think that AAMC and their foolproof system would fail, but even the AAMC is bound to have some mishaps occur....Computers aren't perfect and neither are the people managing them....

I completely agree! I can't fathom getting 50% wrong on the verbal section...I never missed more than like 6 on all of my practices and got a 9 the first time without finishing the last passage...The second test I finished and had time left, and left the test center thinking that verbal was my best section. I know I have posted alot about this subject in this thread and I am sorry to sound like such a complainer, but I am shocked!! I think I am going to send in my rescore today!
Im going to the website now to look into it more.

wow, I really feel bad for all of you... a pretty wide consensus of disappointment. has this happened on SDN before? The only thing I can think of is maybe the fact that everyone thought test was easy indicates that it really WAS easy and therefore the curve was less generous. But good luck to you all anyway!

wow, I really feel bad for all of you... a pretty wide consensus of disappointment. has this happened on SDN before? The only thing I can think of is maybe the fact that everyone thought test was easy indicates that it really WAS easy and therefore the curve was less generous. But good luck to you all anyway!

Thanks, I guess that probably is the case. I sent in my rescore yesterday, and then almost called to have them cancel it when it arrived because I started panicing about getting a lower score....

Thanks, I guess that probably is the case. I sent in my rescore yesterday, and then almost called to have them cancel it when it arrived because I started panicing about getting a lower score....

well.... (and this is probably a really *****ic thing for me to say on my part) if your score DOES go down, that might not be a bad thing, assuming you're 100% definitely going to retake it. If your score goes down, this means that there's more of a chance of you getting a higher score next time (as opposed to getting a lower score on your 2nd take, which I've heard is a bad situation to be in). Also, if your score drops on this test, but you completely own the next test, maybe adcoms will attribute the first test to a really bad day or a fluke or something... idk, just trying to put a positive spin on it

Looks like a lot of you will be retaking or reapplying next year.

Thank you Captain Obvious! Do you get off on being a jackass? I'm just a lurker here since I took the August exam, but it's clear a lot of these people are down about their scores. Nothing like rolling in to give them a dose of reality and rub it in.