The 08/07/2008 MCAT club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josh L.Ac.

MSA/LAc & BSN/RN --> AA-S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took it for the first time on June 13th and I felt they should have bought me dinner first. Needless to say, I registered for a retake. While at first I was going to take it on July 10th, I moved for several reasons, including the realization that my first scores might not be back in time

So August it is. I on reading two books on ketogenic diets [to get totally ripped this summer] this week then start my content review next week. While it would probably be futile to use specific deficiencies from my first test to prep for the second, I will be going over areas that I had problems with, starting with a complete review of physics.

Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So finally started studying today. First I came up with my study plan, which basically has a content review using Kaplan's Premier Program from now until July 25th. After that, I am going to do practice tests and flashcards.

For the content review, I am only allowing 2 days to cover the 15 chapters of biology in the Kaplan book, which should work out fine. The rest of the time I will cover 2 chapters in Chem, O Chem, or Physics a day. Since some of the chapters are more or less involved than others, the 2 chapters / day is going to be a rough guideline.

For stress, I will continue to exercise, drink, and shoot my Walther 380 (it's my new hobby).

Let's do this.

Lol, add me to the list, I started studying about a month back, but I feel like pulling my hair out. Let's hope I can pull my act together before this beast :(

im also retaking it... studying the mcat for the second time hasnt been as motivating for me yet... guess i still have over a month though.
just curious, how do you guys study for the verbal reasoning section? i had 8 on the first mcat but in practice i've been fluctuating in between 6-12. thanks and good luck to you all.

im also retaking it... studying the mcat for the second time hasnt been as motivating for me yet... guess i still have over a month though.
just curious, how do you guys study for the verbal reasoning section? i had 8 on the first mcat but in practice i've been fluctuating in between 6-12. thanks and good luck to you all.
Well I emphasize weakness. For myself, I am able to reason through Natural Science passages (suprising for us Pre-meds?) as well as other hard sciences/subjects like History/Politics/Goverment etc. quite easily. Other passages like literature and arts I dread. Your local library has a bunch of book reviews available for checkout (i.e., Harvard Review, Iowa Review, etc.), so begin reading random book reviews and paraphrase each paragraph you read in succession. I am unable to distinguish between those passages and MCAT passages, I think you will not be able to tell either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, I've done Kaplan. I've read the PR. Now I'm trying the EK study plan for round two. I want at least 4 more "points" this time around (26 to 30). Like many, the verbal is weighing me down...

Well the EK verbal is what will bring it up, heck you might make up for it in Verbal alone. Good Luck!

Actually...I haven't studied at all yet. For some reason, I was waiting for my 6/13 results. I got a VR11 PS10 BS08 M, which is high enough for AA school, but I feel I could have done better with more prep. After all, it has been 10+ years since I took physics et al.

I think the last day to cancel and get a 50% refund in July 24th.

Decisions...

How's everyone preparing for the final 3 weeks?

Just took my first practice test of the new admin:

Kaplan FL2: 13PS, 11V (EK verbal), 13BS - 37

I do not do Kaplan verbal. It is crap.

I owe this score to BR especially the PS, but the increased reasoning ability added over to the BS too.

I plan to take two a week. Every Tues and Thurs. I am doing the old paper versions and starting at 7AM. I plan to switch over to CBT AAMCs with two weeks left.

By the way, this is my second attempt so I have been through this before.

Just took my first practice test of the new admin:

Kaplan FL2: 13PS, 11V (EK verbal), 13BS - 37

I do not do Kaplan verbal. It is crap.

I owe this score to BR especially the PS, but the increased reasoning ability added over to the BS too.

I plan to take two a week. Every Tues and Thurs. I am doing the old paper versions and starting at 7AM. I plan to switch over to CBT AAMCs with two weeks left.

By the way, this is my second attempt so I have been through this before.

That's a great score for your first diag, JDub. From what I hear, Kaplan FLs are difficult.

I'm using BR for PS as well...hopefully I can get what you got ;)

I'm gonna do my first FL (TPR) this Thursday or Friday.

Actually...I haven't studied at all yet. For some reason, I was waiting for my 6/13 results. I got a VR11 PS10 BS08 M, which is high enough for AA school, but I feel I could have done better with more prep. After all, it has been 10+ years since I took physics et al.

Decisions...

Do you think you can pull it off in 3 weeks?

Ha, the question I thought was how is everyone preparing...not those who are already prepared (J DUB!) 13's on the sciences means you know everything there is to know.
I on the other hand have to sprint uphill in a hurry.
Yesterday AAMC CBT #3: PS 9 VR 9 BS 8

I'm leaving it behind and pressing forward

For these last 3 weeks I'm doing a full length every other day and on the other days doing 2-3 section tests. I will get burned out in a matter of seconds most likely. I am sooo nervous...how about you guys

Decisions...
With a VR of 11 you obviously do not lack the critical thinking/test taking portion, its definitely content which you could definitely shore up by test day.

For these last 3 weeks I'm doing a full length every other day and on the other days doing 2-3 section tests. I will get burned out in a matter of seconds most likely. I am sooo nervous...how about you guys
I am doing exact same thing.
I took my first full length yesterday and after you get the first one done, the nervousness definitely dissapears...although I am inclined to believe it will reappear come 8 AM on 08/07

I can not stress enough the importance of relaxing as much as possible and staying confident.

I got shocked and awed last time and my score reflected it. (24)

I made myself get all nervous last night and I got to sleep at 1AM and then woke up at 5AM!!

I even felt nervous at first then I remembered to think and not panic. Many times the answers are in the passage. You just have to notice them. Plus, after you have taken several practice exams, you can start to "see" the right answer.

Get a good content base and do practice passages to work up the reasoning skills.

That's a great score for your first diag, JDub. From what I hear, Kaplan FLs are difficult.

I'm using BR for PS as well...hopefully I can get what you got ;)

I'm gonna do my first FL (TPR) this Thursday or Friday.

I averaged around a 10 on BR. Those passages were hard. Kaplan has alot more calculations though, which is usually my biggest weakness. The real one I took last year was mainly conceptual.

BR is great review for PS. Just put in the time and it can get you 10+.

Ha, the question I thought was how is everyone preparing...not those who are already prepared (J DUB!) 13's on the sciences means you know everything there is to know.
I on the other hand have to sprint uphill in a hurry.
Yesterday AAMC CBT #3: PS 9 VR 9 BS 8

I'm leaving it behind and pressing forward

Believe it or not, I still think I have major content holes. I just have gotten better with my reasoning skills thanks to BR. I can think my way through passages now.

Just keep at it!! Remember, I have prepared two times now. I did not have to start from scratch. I really have only prepared for the PS this time.

Do you think you can pull it off in 3 weeks?

Not sure, I did study for about 4 weeks for the June 13th test, and I had to knock the dust off the basic science parts of my brain for that one. My wife and son will be gone next week for the entire week, so I could buckle down and knock out some good content review.

With a VR of 11 you obviously do not lack the critical thinking/test taking portion, its definitely content which you could definitely shore up by test day.

Yeah, I think I would focus more on content and less on practice tests...part of the problem I had with the practice tests was after the first time through, I started to memorize the questions instead of the content of the questions. It got expensive buying more practice tests.

Overall, I am 50:50 for the retake. 29 is more than enough for AA school, and if I do decide to throw caution to the wind and apply to MD schools, I would have 6+ months to prep before the next cycle.

Hmm...

I signed up for the August 7th test too, I'm hoping to increase my score by 10 points. I've been studying for the last month and I think I'm reaching burnout. Next week I start doing only Practice Tests and EK 1001 Qs so hopefully I'll have some renewed energy to keep going. :scared::scared:

Anesthesiologist Assistant

Oh, of course. :)

I signed up for the August 7th test too, I'm hoping to increase my score by 10 points. I've been studying for the last month and I think I'm reaching burnout. Next week I start doing only Practice Tests and EK 1001 Qs so hopefully I'll have some renewed energy to keep going. :scared::scared:

Don't burn out. Relax every now and then. Watch some tv, work out or something.

You made need to relax some then!

I just took a few AAMC practice tests:

AAMC 3 : 10 PS 10 VR 10 BS
AAMC 5: 10 PS 12 VR 11 BS
AAMC 7: 9 PS :( 12 VR 10 BS

The thing is I had exactly the same break down with AAMC 5 and AAMC 7, yet the curve dropped me by two points, and also I am worried since the new MCATs now have more difficult PS ? Because PS is def. my weakest point, and I am barely getting 10s on the AAMCs, so that worries me :( I use EK and the over the counter TPR book, what should I do to up my sciences in the next three weeks?

Also, a lot of people seemed to be scoring about 2-3 points lower on their actual MCAT compared to the AAMCs, I really want to hit a 31+, ughh I have never felt so stupid in my life, and its weird since I did very well in college on all the pre reqs. ><

Diagnose your symptoms on your Score Report and treat them with review in the material you do have. Obviously if you have relevant practice problems in your workbooks, do them. You must purge the weaknesses that lays before you.

And do not worry about that curve, it will take care of itself, you go on and lay into the next full length that awaits.

Count me in for 8/7 mcat!!!
I'm super super worried!!! I'm a retaker so hopefully this one goes much better!

Anyone here using kaplan? How predictive do you think the full-lengths are?

I just took a few AAMC practice tests:

AAMC 3 : 10 PS 10 VR 10 BS
AAMC 5: 10 PS 12 VR 11 BS
AAMC 7: 9 PS :( 12 VR 10 BS

The thing is I had exactly the same break down with AAMC 5 and AAMC 7, yet the curve dropped me by two points, and also I am worried since the new MCATs now have more difficult PS ? Because PS is def. my weakest point, and I am barely getting 10s on the AAMCs, so that worries me :( I use EK and the over the counter TPR book, what should I do to up my sciences in the next three weeks?

Also, a lot of people seemed to be scoring about 2-3 points lower on their actual MCAT compared to the AAMCs, I really want to hit a 31+, ughh I have never felt so stupid in my life, and its weird since I did very well in college on all the pre reqs. ><
my practice test scores are almost identical to yours, ziggydoc.

how much do you think a score can be improved in the last 3 weeks? i'm debating pushing out if i don't score ~33 on my next practice tests this week. we can reschedule until 2 weeks prior to exam date. most my friends already took it. about half scored very close to their practice scores...and the other half did at least a few points worse. i don't know what to expect!

Anyone here using kaplan? How predictive do you think the full-lengths are?

I think they are good practice but they seem to overpredict real MCAT scores because of their generous curve.

I think you can drop your Kaplan by about 2-3 points and be safe.

If really depends though. Average your AAMC and Kaplan averages and then take 2-3 points off.

If you like your score still, then you should be happy when the scores come out!!

*All of this takes into account that you remain calm on the real deal and perform similar to practice tests.*

Just took Kaplan FL4: 10 PS, 12 (EK verbal), 11 BS = 33

This is the hardest test I have taken thus far. It is a SOB!!!

AND a Bad MF!!

This test had the hardest PS section I have ever seen. I had less clue on it than I did my real MCAT last year. The Kaplan curve and guessing saved my ass! Barely got the 10.

BS section was 50 % Ochem and since I did not review that as much I missed alot more than usual. Not too worried there since ochem is not that important anymore. Barely missed the 12 by one.

If you want a tough test, take this one especially on the PS.

I think this one can prep you for a "hard" MCAT.

I need a nap!!

Not a bad score at all, JDub. Considering how hard it seemed.

Nap is over!!!!

Thanks, c. pops!

I wish someone else would take it so I could get someone to back me up, lol!!

Misery loves company!!!

I am not so worried about the score but I got a 43/77 on the PS. The percentage is horrible!!

Oh well, there was no outside info that could have helped me understand what the hell some of the passages were saying. Just pray that does not happen too often on 8/7/08.

But, I am going to take my own advice and stay confident!!

I got this!!

I think the only reliable predictor in your practice is the EK Verbal, which was a solid 12. You should be very pleased with that. Honestly, the Kaplan tests progressively (or should I say regressively) get worse as they go on. I mean, they are so poorly written, I would dismiss their results. You correctly testify this yourself...
Oh well, there was no outside info that could have helped me understand what the hell some of the passages were saying.
The only reason to use Kaplan passages is because you have some dead time between where you are and when you plan to begin taking AAMC exams. At this juncture for us, we are near enough to the exam where we already have crossed over to the authentic item. I took 3 Kaplan section tests yesterday which I regret, as my opinion is that remaining with their material is detrimental to progress, which in reality, I believe would be made ascertaining your self to the familiarity of AAMC products.
Bottom line: Stay away from Kaplan passages. Play around with their discretes if you must. Get acquainted with AAMC material.

Your registration has been cancelled.

Yup, I know I could have done better if given more time to prep, but now I am focusing on my app to AA school instead of cramming for a 2nd MCAT. Good luck all, and who knows, if you go into surgery some day, I might be providing the anesthesia [under the ACT model, of course].

Or I might apply to med school despite my wife's objections [not smart].

I think the only reliable predictor in your practice is the EK Verbal, which was a solid 12. You should be very pleased with that. Honestly, the Kaplan tests progressively (or should I say regressively) get worse as they go on. I mean, they are so poorly written, I would dismiss their results. You correctly testify this yourself... The only reason to use Kaplan passages is because you have some dead time between where you are and when you plan to begin taking AAMC exams. At this juncture for us, we are near enough to the exam where we already have crossed over to the authentic item. I took 3 Kaplan section tests yesterday which I regret, as my opinion is that remaining with their material is detrimental to progress, which in reality, I believe would be made ascertaining your self to the familiarity of AAMC products.
Bottom line: Stay away from Kaplan passages. Play around with their discretes if you must. Get acquainted with AAMC material.

I did 4 AAMCs last year.

AAMC 3 (32) , 6 (34) , 7 (34) , 10 (33)

I plan on doing more later. I just like how hard the sciences are on Kaplan.

It reminds of what I saw last year. AAMCs were really easy except for the verbal.

I do think Kaplan's curve is too easy though.

Okay, I wanted to see how much better I could do now than last year so I printed out AAMC 10 and completed the sciences. I did this so I could not see my answers from last year. I honestly do not remember any of the passages. I have the out of sight, out of mind brain.

The AAMCs seem so easy content wise. They are trickier though.

I got a 13PS and 12BS. I looked over the stuff I missed last time and was amazed at how stupid I was.

I think BR did help me after all. I did not even have to ponder over questions except a couple.

Thought I would post this to help someone that may be trying to compare things.

Last edited: