The 08/07/2008 MCAT club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josh L.Ac.

MSA/LAc & BSN/RN --> AA-S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took it for the first time on June 13th and I felt they should have bought me dinner first. Needless to say, I registered for a retake. While at first I was going to take it on July 10th, I moved for several reasons, including the realization that my first scores might not be back in time

So August it is. I on reading two books on ketogenic diets [to get totally ripped this summer] this week then start my content review next week. While it would probably be futile to use specific deficiencies from my first test to prep for the second, I will be going over areas that I had problems with, starting with a complete review of physics.

Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

JDub, your scores make me feel like a *******.:rolleyes:

They are still just practice scores....

I have always underperformed on standardized tests. But, I have faith that one day I will do well.

I feel better about this time at least. :)

Do not worry about me. Just keep working on it and improving. Be the best you can be. That is all you can do!!

What bothers me though is that I got 11 on PS with 17 questions wrong, 11 on VR also with 12 questions wrong, and 12 on BS with 17 questions wrong. I just don't think that on the real MCAT I will have a good feel of what a 30+ test feels like if I keep getting rocked by these Kaplan tests and still get a good score, you know?

What bothers me though is that I got 11 on PS with 17 questions wrong, 11 on VR also with 12 questions wrong, and 12 on BS with 17 questions wrong. I just don't think that on the real MCAT I will have a good feel of what a 30+ test feels like if I keep getting rocked by these Kaplan tests and still get a good score, you know?

It really is hard to say without a definite knowledge of how they grade the real MCAT.

For me, I can tell the difference between a Kaplan and AAMC PS. I feel safe for example if it feels like a Kaplan to drop my figures by maybe 5 questions.

Also, you have to be aware of the fact whether or not you yourself are performing like regular on the real MCAT. Are you calm and clear or just freaking out?

For most people, if they are performing like usual, they will be on the same level no matter the difficulty level. If it is a hard test like Kaplan, then you may miss those 17 questions but the other guy will be missing more too.

It seems it all works out within the +- 2-3 points range for practice tests as long as you perform similar.

You have to take it and not the other way around.

Members don't see this ad :)
I happen to be really calm during tests, I have always "been good" at taking standardized tests. Did well on the SAT, etc. I don't even approach "freaking out." When I took the June 13th MCAT, I felt pretty good about it afterward, having taken Kaplan tests and still gotten good marks. Either way, if that's their philosophy, then that's their philosophy. However, there is no good explanation for this:

25. In a normal individual, all of the following are filtered through he glomerulus into Bowman's capsule EXCEPT:

• Sodium
  • Urea
  • Read blood cells
Come on... through "he" glomerulus??? What is this, a blog? And "Read blood cells"??? Give me a break. I did not pay almost 2 grand for THAT. Sadly, what I DID pay 2 grand for, I will almost certainly not use before my test. But I don't want to bog this thread down in a Kaplan discussion. Anyway, let's get pumped for this test, eh?

We have 2 weeks left and I am still seriously struggling with verbal. Suggestions??? Do every passage in the q-bank?
Stay away from the Q-Bank, especially for VERBAL. If you want, do the science discretes. The Q-Bank may have been useful earlier in prep, but we are so close to our administration.

I abandoned the Kaplan strategy (mapping included) just two weeks ago after using all Summer and have gotten double digit Verbal for the first time, and have continued to do so after ditching it.

I made up my own Verbal strategy.
Thesis
Purpose
Mood

If you can read a passage and identify each of those three, you can correctly answer a majority of the questions.

If you prefer something simpler, I highly recommend the following:
Read the passage.
Form main idea.
Answer questions with main idea in mind.
(Courtesy ExamKrackers)
Hours of Kaplan lecturing and workshops would be best reduced to the above.

Stay away from the Q-Bank, especially for VERBAL. If you want, do the science discretes. The Q-Bank may have been useful earlier in prep, but we are so close to our administration.

I abandoned the Kaplan strategy (mapping included) just two weeks ago after using all Summer and have gotten double digit Verbal for the first time, and have continued to do so after ditching it.

Thesis
Purpose
Mood

If you can read a passage and identify each of those three, you can correctly answer a majority of the questions.

If you prefer something simpler, I highly recommend the following:
Read the passage.
Form main idea.
Answer questions with main idea in mind.
(Courtesy ExamKrackers)
Hours of Kaplan lecturing and workshops would be best reduced to the above.

hahha. I hear ya, man. All those endless Kaplan lecture hours and frustration, $1700 later, and you get a simplified strategy that works from their competitor. :laugh:

i'm taggin' this beast on the 7th as well.

Is anybody doing ek 1001 biology questions? if so i had a question about #408. why is vasodilation linked with sympathetic? The explanation says that norepinep. release causes blood to shunt away from the skin, which would seem like vasoconstriction?

am i missing something? o_O

Think of it this way.
1. Sympathetic system is thought of as "fight or flight" response.
2. Epinephrine (adrenaline) and Norepinephrine release are associated with PS system, while acetylcholine is associated with sympathetic system.
3. Vasodilation is paired with sympathetic bc you need to pump more blood into your legs/arms for running/fighting when your PS system is activated.
4. Blood shunts away from the skin for the same reason as #3.

Hope that helps. :thumbup:

Think of it this way.
1. Sympathetic system is thought of as "fight or flight" response.
2. Epinephrine (adrenaline) and Norepinephrine release are associated with PS system, while acetylcholine is associated with sympathetic system.
3. Vasodilation is paired with sympathetic bc you need to pump more blood into your legs/arms for running/fighting when your PS system is activated.
4. Blood shunts away from the skin for the same reason as #3.

Hope that helps. :thumbup:

It's the other way around. Epi and norepi = sympathetic. ACh = parasympathetic.

Vasoconstriction is sympathetic, not vasodilation. This is what increases blood pressure during a fight-or-flight response.

I happen to be really calm during tests, I have always "been good" at taking standardized tests. Did well on the SAT, etc. I don't even approach "freaking out." When I took the June 13th MCAT, I felt pretty good about it afterward, having taken Kaplan tests and still gotten good marks. Either way, if that's their philosophy, then that's their philosophy. However, there is no good explanation for this:

25. In a normal individual, all of the following are filtered through he glomerulus into Bowman's capsule EXCEPT:

• Sodium
  • Urea
  • Read blood cells
Come on... through "he" glomerulus??? What is this, a blog? And "Read blood cells"??? Give me a break. I did not pay almost 2 grand for THAT. Sadly, what I DID pay 2 grand for, I will almost certainly not use before my test. But I don't want to bog this thread down in a Kaplan discussion. Anyway, let's get pumped for this test, eh?

You think THAT'S bad?? Here's a question from my TPR diag that makes NO sense.

What are the most stable configurations of 1,2- and 1,3-diisopropylcyclohexane, respectively?

A. Protection from pathogens
B. Buffering of acidity
C. Hydrolysis of proteins
D. Activation of enzymes

wtf :confused:

I looked at their answer explanation and the question was supposed to be about gastric pH, so I guess they just mismatched the question stem and answers.

You think THAT'S bad?? Here's a question from my TPR diag that makes NO sense.

What are the most stable configurations of 1,2- and 1,3-diisopropylcyclohexane, respectively?

A. Protection from pathogens
B. Buffering of acidity
C. Hydrolysis of proteins
D. Activation of enzymes

wtf :confused:

I looked at their answer explanation and the question was supposed to be about gastric pH, so I guess they just mismatched the question stem and answers.

The answer is C.

Thesis
Purpose
Mood

I am taking a full-length VR section tomorrow abandoning Kaplan's method, trying for the "focus on main idea/purpose/mood/tone" of the work while reading instead. I'll let you all know how it goes.

I think this mapping business has slowed me down and lowered my VR scores. Hopefully using EK and doing this new method will help.

Vasoconstriction is sympathetic, not vasodilation. This is what increases blood pressure during a fight-or-flight response.

Woops. You're right. As for your other point, in the sympathetic division, there is selective vasoconstriction, BUT vasodilation is seen for active muscles.

Members don't see this ad :)

Depends. Both vasoconstriction and vasodilation are involved in the SNS. Vasoconstriction for the skin and for organs you don't "urgently" need and vasodilation for skeletal muscles.

Just took AAMC #7 13 PS 12 V 11 BS. Does anyone else feel that this was one of the easier tests? Only 13 days to go!

Depends. Both vasoconstriction and vasodilation are involved in the SNS. Vasoconstriction for the skin and for organs you don't "urgently" need and vasodilation for skeletal muscles.

that problem was just iffy i think; If anybody else is finishing up ek bio 1001 let me know :thumbup:

that problem was just iffy i think; If anybody else is finishing up ek bio 1001 let me know :thumbup:

Actually let me correct myself. Vasodilation occurs in muscles and skin (to get out the extra heat derived from muscle construction) and vasoconstriction everywhere else.

Actually let me correct myself. Vasodilation occurs in muscles and skin (to get out the extra heat derived from muscle construction) and vasoconstriction everywhere else.

exactly, so why would it be under sympathetic control; I learned sympathetic would cause vasoconstriction...

well I just took AAMC #4, and I got PS 10 VR 9 :confused: BS 11. Its an ok score, but i was getting 10-12 on VR consistently. And I haven't done much the last week due to burn out, so I figured this one should be better, but wth :(

well I just took AAMC #4, and I got PS 10 VR 9 :confused: BS 11. Its an ok score, but i was getting 10-12 on VR consistently. And I haven't done much the last week due to burn out, so I figured this one should be better, but wth :(

I thought the verbal on AAMC 4 was harder than usual. Several passages made me slow down and think more. I usually can get through them pretty easy. I still did well, but had to work more for it. Plus, I guessed about five right. I usually never guess.

So, I would be feeling okay. I still think you can be confident and believe you are in the 10-11 range.

It's all good!!!

Last edited:
Do you mean AAMC 4 or all of them in general. well I'm assuming you are talking about AAMC 4, if that is the case, I feel a bit better I guess, I'll just do a bit more practice and hope I don't feel so off on test day, at this point, I think I really just want to get this over with, eh. Hope you are doing well on the prep J DUB!

Do you mean AAMC 4 or all of them in general. well I'm assuming you are talking about AAMC 4, if that is the case, I feel a bit better I guess, I'll just do a bit more practice and hope I don't feel so off on test day, at this point, I think I really just want to get this over with, eh. Hope you are doing well on the prep J DUB!

Sorry, I meant to say AAMC 4.

I think as long as I get something reasonable, remain calm and think. I can get a 28-31.

I have been averaging what I want. Just have to execute...

i've been alternately taking kaplan + aamc and getting 32/33 on ALL of them..which was weird to me because they're supposed to be of different difficulties, right? it drove me crazy that i couldn't improve my score..and now i just took 2 more kaplans and got a 30 and a 29. I mean.........:mad::mad: i don't know what to do..feeling really discouraged:scared:

I've been able to hit a PS 10 on TPR, and a BS 10 on TPR....now if only I can score them on the same test....

HEy, new to the thread, but I'm taking 8/7.

Anybody feel that AAMC 6 and 7 were a little easier than the others?

HEy, new to the thread, but I'm taking 8/7.

Anybody feel that AAMC 6 and 7 were a little easier than the others?

I definitely thought that AAMC 7 was easier than the others especially in Verbal and Physical Sciences. To me, it seemed like AAMC 4 and 7 were the easiest.

AAMC CBT #3: PS 9 VR 9 BS 8
AAMC CBT #4: PS 10 VR 10 BS 11
AAMC CBT #5: PS 8 VR 11 BS 8
AAMC CBT #6: PS 10 VR 11 BS 11

I changed up pacing attack for #5 to take the science sections like I do verbal and the damage was done, so I returned to the previous one.

Sorry, I meant to say AAMC 4.

I think as long as I get something reasonable, remain calm and think. I can get a 28-31.

I have been averaging what I want. Just have to execute...

O man! For evidence, see my AAMC #5 vs. #6. Remain Calm and Think...

Precious advice because FEW actually do it!

What are your guys' plan of attack with the few remaining days? I'm just going to space out AAMC 8-10, taking a practice test every 3 days with a lot of review in between. Then after I've taken the practice tests, I'm going to do as many questions out of EK 1001 biology covering genetics while going over the PS concepts.

What are your guys' plan of attack with the few remaining days? I'm just going to space out AAMC 8-10, taking a practice test every 3 days with a lot of review in between. Then after I've taken the practice tests, I'm going to do as many questions out of EK 1001 biology covering genetics while going over the PS concepts.

Sounds good. Relax some too!! Keep the mind fresh :)

I am also taking one practice every 3rd day at this point, but unlike you, I will actually be taking it a bit easier, because at this point I really have done all the reviewing that I can, and I think just relaxing and going over the exams and TRY to stop making dumb mistakes is all I can do lol. That and I am to the point where if I am not doing a timed practice I really don't have the motivation to study anymore so oh well.

I still have 5 AAMC exams to take...any suggestions on how to split these up evenly so that I can still get some good review in between the tests?

I still have 5 AAMC exams to take...any suggestions on how to split these up evenly so that I can still get some good review in between the tests?

Just remember you do not have to take them all. I would take 2-3 of them and work in some review. But, take it easy and do not burn yourself out so you can be fresh for the big day.

Wow AAMC 8 was definitely harder than AAMC 7. My score went down in the PS and the VR. I'm guessing the drop in my score was due to weaknesses in certain areas (PS: thermodynamics, solutions) and just harder passages (VR).

I just took AAMC 8 and for my money, that is about as hard as I could stand for the Verbal. The second passage drained my time and my score.

Yep. Just took AAMC #8... my score was around my normal, though a bit less.
I got a 10 PS (my weak section, normally getting 10 or 11) 11 in VR (consistently getting 11) and an 11 in BS (usually getting 11s or 12) for a total of 32! It's exactly what I got on AAMC #5 a week ago, and people said that one was pretty hard, too. I'm pretty excited by this trend now, especially considering that I got a 34 on Kaplan #9 last week. Also because I was really tired when I took this test, and I still did ok. Next up, AAMC #9...

Yep. Just took AAMC #8... my score was around my normal, though a bit less.
I got a 10 PS (my weak section, normally getting 10 or 11) 11 in VR (consistently getting 11) and an 11 in BS (usually getting 11s or 12) for a total of 32! It's exactly what I got on AAMC #5 a week ago, and people said that one was pretty hard, too. I'm pretty excited by this trend now, especially considering that I got a 34 on Kaplan #9 last week. Also because I was really tired when I took this test, and I still did ok. Next up, AAMC #9...

I also took AAMC 8 this morning.

PS - 10
VR - 9
BS - 11

First time I've ever reached 30 on a diag! :)

The 11 could've been a 12 if it weren't for that darn passage about dewlaps. hahah.

Last edited:
Argh, so I just realized that AAMC 6 and 7 that I have are actually the full-length paper versions and not the shortened CBT ones.

My e-mcat.com access to those 2 CBT's expired recently and I wasn't able to save the PDF file...is there another way I can get the CBT version without having to pay for renewal???

Argh, so I just realized that AAMC 6 and 7 that I have are actually the full-length paper versions and not the shortened CBT ones.

My e-mcat.com access to those 2 CBT's expired recently and I wasn't able to save the PDF file...is there another way I can get the CBT version without having to pay for renewal???

I would just take the paper versions. You already have enough experience with the CBT format to know what to expect.

Why waste extra money?

Haha, no, I was never gonna actually waste the money to renew it. Just wondering if there was an alternate way of getting a CBT version. Otherwise, I'm just gonna use the full length as practice.

Hey guys, sorry for joining this thread so late. Count me in for the 8/7 test =)

Here's my score breakdown from Kaplan (Phys Verb Bio)
Diagnostic: 19 (5 7 7)
FL1: 27 (9 10 8)
FL2: 30 (12 10 8)
FL3: 33 (10 11 12)

I'm planning to take AAMC tests 7-10 (one every other day between now and test day). Here's to cracking 35!

AAMC 8's Verbal was definitely harder. I pretty much ran out of time and had to guess the last 2 questions. I guess also having an upset stomach might have been a problem too. I've been trying to look up information on how the AAMC tests will relate to your score on the real thing. So far it seems the consensus is that out of AAMC 7-10, AAMC 7 & 9 are easier while 8 & 10 will be more representative of your actual score. Comments?

AAMC 8's Verbal was definitely harder. I pretty much ran out of time and had to guess the last 2 questions. I guess also having an upset stomach might have been a problem too. I've been trying to look up information on how the AAMC tests will relate to your score on the real thing. So far it seems the consensus is that out of AAMC 7-10, AAMC 7 & 9 are easier while 8 & 10 will be more representative of your actual score. Comments?

Average your scores between AAMC 7-10. Then, take two points off.

Still happy?

Then, you are ready!

Well, lets hope it turns out to be the same as my AAMCs or only 1 point off lol. since my average is about a 31.8 so far on those hahaha. a 29.8 just wont cut it :)