The 08/07/2008 MCAT club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josh L.Ac.

MSA/LAc & BSN/RN --> AA-S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took it for the first time on June 13th and I felt they should have bought me dinner first. Needless to say, I registered for a retake. While at first I was going to take it on July 10th, I moved for several reasons, including the realization that my first scores might not be back in time

So August it is. I on reading two books on ketogenic diets [to get totally ripped this summer] this week then start my content review next week. While it would probably be futile to use specific deficiencies from my first test to prep for the second, I will be going over areas that I had problems with, starting with a complete review of physics.

Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

I think a large part of your scores are dependent on the material that's tested. If you get a lot of passages on topics that don't play to your strengths your score will predictably drop.

I think a large part of your scores are dependent on the material that's tested. If you get a lot of passages on topics that don't play to your strengths your score will predictably drop.

Very true. That's why I think the "right" test is as important as content review and practice tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very true. That's why I think the "right" test is as important as content review and practice tests.

Well since there's no guarantee that we can get the "right" test, the only thing we can do is cover everything and pray we get lucky right? ;)

whatever happened to the 8/05 thread?? It seems like I am the only one taking it that day:laugh:...btw it seems like I am becoming less productive in studying as we get closer..anyone else like feeling like this..i think i am going to relax two days before...:luck:

ya same here, all I do now is take the practice and go over it, and wait till I need to take the next practice lol. Haven't really done much else, altho I prob. will go over my note cards again at some point to make sure I know those formulas lol.

I am so sick of looking at this crap!

One more day of review and then I am going to finish strong with practice tests and going over practice tests.

I know how you feel. I just want to get it over with at this point!

Only 8 more days to go. My heart started racing when I thought of that..

I know how you feel. I just want to get it over with at this point!

Only 8 more days to go. My heart started racing when I thought of that..

Sort of like this, right?!?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q-0XwW8H9w[/youtube]

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like everyone's buckling down now and hitting those FL's pretty hard. Maybe I should be doing the same :p

Seems like everyone's buckling down now and hitting those FL's pretty hard. Maybe I should be doing the same :p

I am not. :D

I plan on taking two AAMC CBTs before the real one. I finished my last content review except for formulas.

I am going to review some Kaplans and do another verbal.

Try to stay fresh and still sharp!

I am not. :D

I plan on taking two AAMC CBTs before the real one. I finished my last content review except for formulas.

I am going to review some Kaplans and do another verbal.

Try to stay fresh and still sharp!

Yeah I plan on doing aamc9 tomorrow, then 10 on sunday, and 3 on tuesday. And light review on the days in between. We're at the home stretch :)

Yeah I plan on doing aamc9 tomorrow, then 10 on sunday, and 3 on tuesday. And light review on the days in between. We're at the home stretch :)

Just words of advice. When I took it last time, I took my last practice AAMC two days before the real test. I did a little worse than expected, which broke my confidence some. But mainly, it got me tired. I had been taking several FL a week and started to get that burnout feeling.

You might want to take the last practice test on Monday to give yourself a couple of days to recover.

I have found for me there is a big "freshness" difference between 2 and 3 days between tests.

Just words of advice. When I took it last time, I took my last practice AAMC two days before the real test. I did a little worse than expected, which broke my confidence some. But mainly, it got me tired. I had been taking several FL a week and started to get that burnout feeling.

You might want to take the last practice test on Monday to give yourself a couple of days to recover.

I have found for me there is a big "freshness" difference between 2 and 3 days between tests.

How much worse than expected did you do? I took an FL two days before the real thing last year also, and I only scored 1 point less on the real thing. So it was pretty accurate. I felt a little burnt out last week but I'm recovered. I think as long as I don't do a FL on the day before, I should be good to go.

How much worse than expected did you do? I took an FL two days before the real thing last year also, and I only scored 1 point less on the real thing. So it was pretty accurate. I felt a little burnt out last week but I'm recovered. I think as long as I don't do a FL on the day before, I should be good to go.

I averaged a 33 and got a 24. I crack under standardized test pressure! :(

That's why I am hoping for a 28-31 when my averages are higher. I do feel more comfortable with the material this time and not nearly as nervous.

I still think one day I can do good enough to give myself a shot since I have a very strong application everywhere else. I have the volunteering, leadership, GPA, work experience. Working on research...

I also have the persistence to get there.

Don't give up, don't ever give up - Jimmy V

Let's do this, man!

I averaged a 33 and got a 24. I crack under standardized test pressure! :(

That's why I am hoping for a 28-31 when my averages are higher. I do feel more comfortable with the material this time and not nearly as nervous.

I still think one day I can do good enough to give myself a shot since I have a very strong application everywhere else. I have the volunteering, leadership, GPA, work experience. Working on research...

I also have the persistence to get there.

Don't give up, don't ever give up - Jimmy V

Let's do this, man!

Oh man. That's tough to swallow.

But now you have the experience behind you, so you know what to expect now. I'm pulling for you, J Dub!

haha I still haven't recovered from the massive burn out I suffered a couple weeks back, right now I just can't seem to focus unless I'm doing a practice FL lol. And J DUB I think you r rdy, just don't be nervous, and I am aiming for around the same as you are. I am thinking of taking two more practices, AAMC 8 tom. and AAMC 10 on Mon. I can't wait to get this over with, I really should have taken it on July 18th, oh well, lets hope my bad planning doesnt kill me :)

Okay, just took my first, new AAMC CBT of the season.

I wanted to save them for last to seem like the real thing. I was actually nervous before I took it because everyone knows I was taking it this morning and awaiting the results. So, it was sort of like real pressure. I did not sleep well, etc. Felt just like a real one except the added pressure of being at the testing center.

AAMC CBT 8: 12PS, 11V, 11BS = 34

PS was straighforward. V was hard. Reminded me of what I saw last Aug on the real one. Those two humanities passages worked me over. BS was good except the microfilaments passage. I would have gotten a 12 if it was not for that passage. I missed four on it alone!

I also did the whole test straight through with only one break to pee. My brain was hurting on the last passages of BS.

Overall, I feel very good about my score!! I know I left some out there and still got a 34.

Keep working everyone...and finish strong!!!

Okay, just took my first, new AAMC CBT of the season.

I wanted to save them for last to seem like the real thing. I was actually nervous before I took it because everyone knows I was taking it this morning and awaiting the results. So, it was sort of like real pressure. I did not sleep well, etc. Felt just like a real one except the added pressure of being at the testing center.

AAMC CBT 8: 12PS, 11V, 11BS = 34

PS was straighforward. V was hard. Reminded me of what I saw last Aug on the real one. Those two humanities passages worked me over. BS was good except the microfilaments passage. I would have gotten a 12 if it was not for that passage. I missed four on it alone!

I also did the whole test straight through with only one break to pee. My brain was hurting on the last passages of BS.

Overall, I feel very good about my score!! I know I left some out there and still got a 34.

Keep working everyone...and finish strong!!!

How did you do on AAMC 7? I thought it was a lot easier than AAMC 8 especially in the Verbal section.

How did you do on AAMC 7? I thought it was a lot easier than AAMC 8 especially in the Verbal section.

I took it last summer so I am not sure. I think I got a 33-34.

But, if I remember correctly, the verbal was alot easier.

AAMC 8 verbal is the hardest I have read so far. AAMC 10 had the harshest curve.

Hey J DUB I actually just took AAMC 8 today as well, man talking about a brutal BS, and I agree that microfliament passage was nuts, I didn't even understand the damn graph till they asked the 3rd question on it. I never thought BS could be so brutal ><.

Well, I did much better than how I felt, which seems like the pattern lately,

PS 10
VR 11
BS 10
Total: 31

Anyway how was CBT 10, cuz im taking that last, and the curve seems much harder, and if I stay in my raw score range ~110-116, I prob. will drop under 30.

Anyway how was CBT 10, cuz im taking that last, and the curve seems much harder, and if I stay in my raw score range ~110-116, I prob. will drop under 30.

From what I remember, the PS was easy, V was easier than 8 but had a harsh curve, and BS was hard; really had to use the passage.

Great score, Ziggy!!

I am taking AAMC CBT 9 Monday after working all weekend. I should be good and tired Monday morning, lol!!

Not sure about the raw score range but it will be close to a 30.

Wow... I'm in shock right now... I just took AAMC 9 in my house, with a ton of noise in the background (which kind of screwed me over for Verbal because I could not focus at all) and I did much much MUCH better than ever before on any AAMC... I had been averaging 10, with some 11s, in PS, and 11 with some 12s in BS, and I got a 13 in both sciences and a 10 in Verbal for a total of 36, a solid 4 points over my average AAMC score! The 10 is subpar for me, but who cares?? I guess hitting the books for content review really paid off heavily... or AAMC 9 is really easy... I got a ridiculous amount of science questions right... 47 in PS and FORTY NINE in BS...

Wow... I'm in shock right now... I just took AAMC 9 in my house, with a ton of noise in the background (which kind of screwed me over for Verbal because I could not focus at all) and I did much much MUCH better than ever before on any AAMC... I had been averaging 10, with some 11s, in PS, and 11 with some 12s in BS, and I got a 13 in both sciences and a 10 in Verbal for a total of 36, a solid 4 points over my average AAMC score! The 10 is subpar for me, but who cares?? I guess hitting the books for content review really paid off heavily... or AAMC 9 is really easy... I got a ridiculous amount of science questions right... 47 in PS and FORTY NINE in BS...

Great score!

I have heard that AAMC 9 is easier than 8 and 10. That's why I am saving it for Monday, my last AAMC, lol!!

Feel good, but do not get overconfident. I still say average the AAMCs and subtract two. Then, you are safe!

I still think you are 30+, bro!

Great score!

I have heard that AAMC 9 is easier than 8 and 10. That's why I am saving it for Monday, my last AAMC, lol!!

Feel good, but do not get overconfident. I still say average the AAMCs and subtract two. Then, you are safe!

I still think you are 30+, bro!

Thanks, J-Dub!! You too, man... and good luck with 9 on Monday! I'm taking 8/5/07, so this may or may not be my last FL, I'm debating taking AAMC 10 on Sunday... but I probably will end up just taking it, to keep that killer instinct and stay on my game hehe... I'm bracing myself already for the reality check!

Congrats to everyone who did well on their practice tests =)

I just came to lament my own poor showing on AAMC 8 this morning. I had scored 33 (12, 11, 10) on AAMC 7 on Wednesday and was really stressing the BS on AAMC 8 because everyone had been saying how ridiculously hard it was and I ended up getting blindsided by the Verbal instead.

I got a 27 today (10, 7, 10) and actually ended up getting more questions right on the BS than I did on AAMC 7. I'm not too upset though because I know that Verbal is a crapshoot and I usually perform much better than that on Verbal (average is 10-11), based on my previous FL's.

With only AAMC 9 and 10 left to go before test day next Thursday, I'm trying not to panic too much. It's funny how much weakness started in PS, then moved to BS, then finally landed squarely on Verbal today. Hopefully 9 and 10 will bode well for me.

Thanks, J-Dub!! You too, man... and good luck with 9 on Monday! I'm taking 8/5/07, so this may or may not be my last FL, I'm debating taking AAMC 10 on Sunday... but I probably will end up just taking it, to keep that killer instinct and stay on my game hehe... I'm bracing myself already for the reality check!

I think the BS on AAMC 10 is definitely worth taking. Many people see a couple of points drop on 10 though.

I thought the PS was easy and the verbal too, but the curve is pretty harsh.

I would recommend taking it!

For a reality check, I would work some Kaplan science practice tests in!

The PS on the real one is harder in terms of difficulty. BS is like AAMC. Sort of tricky and in the passage. Kaplan is too straighforward on BS.

AAMC 8 verbal is a good review. Some do say the real verbal is longer. I noticed it a little bit but I read them fast so it was not a problem for me.

Just be ready to see harder and not be shocked. I thought people were exaggerating first time. They were not!

Congrats to everyone who did well on their practice tests =)

I just came to lament my own poor showing on AAMC 8 this morning. I had scored 33 (12, 11, 10) on AAMC 7 on Wednesday and was really stressing the BS on AAMC 8 because everyone had been saying how ridiculously hard it was and I ended up getting blindsided by the Verbal instead.

I got a 27 today (10, 7, 10) and actually ended up getting more questions right on the BS than I did on AAMC 7. I'm not too upset though because I know that Verbal is a crapshoot and I usually perform much better than that on Verbal (average is 10-11), based on my previous FL's.

With only AAMC 9 and 10 left to go before test day next Thursday, I'm trying not to panic too much. It's funny how much weakness started in PS, then moved to BS, then finally landed squarely on Verbal today. Hopefully 9 and 10 will bode well for me.

My advice would be to take AAMC 10 first and save AAMC 9 for last.

AAMC 9 is considered to be easier and may give you some confidence. :)

Keep fighting for that 30!

how many total FLs have people taken/planning on taking? I have taken about 10 and will be taking the actual test on 8/05 :luck:

how many total FLs have people taken/planning on taking? I have taken about 10 and will be taking the actual test on 8/05 :luck:

For me, it will be six (6).

I took six last summer too!

I also do Kaplan topicals and sectionals.

More than six makes me too tired! I get more out of extra content review and focus on weaker areas.

I have the format and timing down. I just need the right content on my real test!!!

I just started AAMC 9 today and I was right. AAMC 9's PS was definitely easier than the others. Looks like you were right J DUB I think I'm starting to get worn out. I only managed to finish the PS section and half of VR before I felt too nauseous to continue. Good news: highest PS yet (14). Bad news: starting to get worn out. I think I'll save the BS for tomorrow and review, take AAMC 10 on Monday and then just cruise after that. Good luck you guys. Don't over do it. :thumbup:

I just started AAMC 9 today and I was right. AAMC 9's PS was definitely easier than the others. Looks like you were right J DUB I think I'm starting to get worn out. I only managed to finish the PS section and half of VR before I felt too nauseous to continue. Good news: highest PS yet (14). Bad news: starting to get worn out. I think I'll save the BS for tomorrow and review, take AAMC 10 on Monday and then just cruise after that. Good luck you guys. Don't over do it. :thumbup:

Take it easy and remember this is marathon!

Your scores are good. You are ready mentally. Just make sure you are there physically.

Mind, body, and soul...

Take it easy and remember this is marathon!

Your scores are good. You are ready mentally. Just make sure you are there physically.

Mind, body, and soul...

Haha thanks. Here's hoping we score at our practice test scores and don't bomb the real thing.

wow good job everyone, :) and don't get burnt out in the last few days!!! And thx J DUB, I am really hoping that I can hit my average on the real thing. And the PS is not that much harder. Oh I felt 9 was fairly easy, the verbal especially, so you guys should be fine :), should be a good confidence booster.

I've always had trouble with FSH and LH. Can someone clear this up for me?

This is my understanding of it...

FSH - sperm production in males; growth of follicles in females.
LH - stimulates estrogen and testosterone secretion; causes ovulation.

Is this correct? Is there more that I need to know about either of them?

I know that estrogen positively feeds back on LH to cause the luteal surge, but does FSH secretion also increase estrogen release? And what about progesterone release...is that caused by secretion of FSH or LH or both?

If anyone can clear this up, I'd really appreciate it. EK isn't very clear on this topic.

Just graded and reviewed the AAMC #9 that I took today...

PS - 12 (people are saying the PS on this exam is easy, so I don't know how to take this score)
VR - 11 (that damn Poussin passage was responsible for half my wrong answers)
BS - 10 (the antisense rna passage raped me)
Overall - 33

I really hope I can keep this up..

Do kaplan/aamc FL scores correlate well with the actual test score? Im taking it on the 7th as well and want to know how much I should be freaking out ;p

Actually, they do, the consensus on SDN is to take your AAMC average +/- 2 pts, and you should have the range for your real score depending on if you perform about the same on the real deal. I think Kaplan is supposed to be harder but the curve is way too easy?

Actually, they do, the consensus on SDN is to take your AAMC average +/- 2 pts, and you should have the range for your real score depending on if you perform about the same on the real deal. I think Kaplan is supposed to be harder but the curve is way too easy?

Thats what I was thinking. I noticed on the last AAMC practice test I took I got about ~5 wrong on BS and got a 12 whereas on the last kaplan full length I took I got ~10 wrong and got a 13. Yay for posting on sdn while on break during practice tests

I've always had trouble with FSH and LH. Can someone clear this up for me?

This is my understanding of it...

FSH - sperm production in males; growth of follicles in females.
LH - stimulates estrogen and testosterone secretion; causes ovulation.

Is this correct? Is there more that I need to know about either of them?

I know that estrogen positively feeds back on LH to cause the luteal surge, but does FSH secretion also increase estrogen release? And what about progesterone release...is that caused by secretion of FSH or LH or both?

If anyone can clear this up, I'd really appreciate it. EK isn't very clear on this topic.
FiSH --> what sperm look like. For females, follicle stimulating hormone is self explanatory
Like Hairy --> Apes
Luteinizing Hormone --> Androgens (Estrogen/Testosterone)

Works, no?

If you have a little time and it's been long enough for you to not remember too many answers explicitly, I think it's worth retaking a practice test that you did poorly on to boost your confidence.

I took AAMC 3 in February (my first MCAT test of any kind) --> 27
Retook it today --> 36

I didn't remember any of the answers because it was so long ago, but it's encouraging to think that I've made that much actual progress, so I thought I'd suggest it to any of you who did poorly on a practice test long enough ago.

I also retook AAMC 10 last week after scoring a 30 in April --> 39*

*Remembered a few of those, though* Kind of cheap, but a TOTAL confidence booster and in my opinion, WORTH IT!

omg 4 more days..anyone else freaking out?:eek:

Ya I started freaking out a bit last night, and I am starting to regret my lack of motivation in the past 2 weeks or so lol. But at this point all I can really do is finish up my last practice exam, look over it, do some very light review, and hope for the best on test day.