The 08/07/2008 MCAT club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josh L.Ac.

MSA/LAc & BSN/RN --> AA-S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took it for the first time on June 13th and I felt they should have bought me dinner first. Needless to say, I registered for a retake. While at first I was going to take it on July 10th, I moved for several reasons, including the realization that my first scores might not be back in time

So August it is. I on reading two books on ketogenic diets [to get totally ripped this summer] this week then start my content review next week. While it would probably be futile to use specific deficiencies from my first test to prep for the second, I will be going over areas that I had problems with, starting with a complete review of physics.

Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Took AAMC CBT 10 today... though PS was okay, verbal wasn't too bad, though some of the passages REALLY required concentration, and BS was very orgo-heavy
the final tallies:
TOT PS VR BS
AAMC#5 – 32 – 10 11 11
Kaplan#9 – 34 – 11 11 12
AAMC 8 - 32 – 10 11 11
AAMC #9 – 35 – 13 9 13
AAMC 10 – 34 – 13 10 11
REAL THING: Tues, August 5th...

Members don't see this ad :)
Took AAMC CBT 10 today... though PS was okay, verbal wasn't too bad, though some of the passages REALLY required concentration, and BS was very orgo-heavy
the final tallies:
TOT PS VR BS
AAMC#5 – 32 – 10 11 11
Kaplan#9 – 34 – 11 11 12
AAMC 8 - 32 – 10 11 11
AAMC #9 – 35 – 13 9 13
AAMC 10 – 34 – 13 10 11
REAL THING: Tues, August 5th...

Good luck, 12six! You've got a very good and consistent score range. Hopefully you get what you want.

Just out of curiosity, what have you guys done for preparing for the molecular bio and genetics portions?

Just took AAMC 10 and bounced back nicely after AAMC 8. 33 total, 13 physics (49 out of 52! that curve is so strict), 10 verbal, 10 bio. As long as I stay above 30 on these practice exams, I feel like I'll do ok on test day. Plus, I saved AAMC 9 for Tuesday, which everyone seems to be in consensus about it being easy. Maybe I can finally crack 35, lol.

Good luck to everyone with their studies and on test day =)

How were the difficulty of the questions on AAMC 10 compared to others? AAMC 9's VR is about the same as others, the PS and BS are easier.
Just took AAMC 10 and bounced back nicely after AAMC 8. 33 total, 13 physics (49 out of 52! that curve is so strict), 10 verbal, 10 bio. As long as I stay above 30 on these practice exams, I feel like I'll do ok on test day. Plus, I saved AAMC 9 for Tuesday, which everyone seems to be in consensus about it being easy. Maybe I can finally crack 35, lol.

Good luck to everyone with their studies and on test day =)

PS on AAMC 10 was the easiest one I've taken so far, verbal was same difficulty, BS was a little harder than usual (though most of my wrong answers were to easy questions, which is my own fault). I probably missed 4 questions like that and could have gotten another point.

Wow AAMC 9 definitely was the easiest.
PS 14 VR 11 BS 12
Shoot I should've saved it for last. The drop in scores when I take AAMC 10 will definitely hurt my confidence. Oh wells. Here's to that 30+ all of us are going to get.

Wow AAMC 9 definitely was the easiest.
PS 14 VR 11 BS 12
Shoot I should've saved it for last. The drop in scores when I take AAMC 10 will definitely hurt my confidence. Oh wells. Here's to that 30+ all of us are going to get.
Its a real score against real people who took it at that sitting/season. We all know this, give yourself credit for your accomplishment and expect to achieve the same this Thursday.

Members don't see this ad :)
so after my bizarre interlude of fluctuating practice test scores, the last 4 aamc have gone well for me:)

7-10: 32, 34, 35, 37. hope this upward trend continues for thursday...

anyone know if the EK practice tests are worth doing?

Haha man everyone is rocking their last AAMCs, Gratz everybody :)

I just took my last one, AAMC 10

PS 10

VR 11

BS 11

Total: 32

Man the curve was rough for this one!!! Well, I am actually pretty happy because I was one question away from the next score in ALL three sections, and based on raw questions correct I got 7 more questions right compared to my best performance before, And I have been pretty consistent in the 30-33 range, with an average of like 31.5 lol.

so after my bizarre interlude of fluctuating practice test scores, the last 4 aamc have gone well for me:)

I think they're supposed to be difficult. You may want to shy away from them and keep your confidence up.

Ya I started freaking out a bit last night, and I am starting to regret my lack of motivation in the past 2 weeks or so lol. But at this point all I can really do is finish up my last practice exam, look over it, do some very light review, and hope for the best on test day.

Same here. Not doing any ridiculous 3-4 hour review things like I have been doing. I'm finishing AAMC 9 today, doing AAMC 10 tomorrow, and doing something non-MCAT related on Wednesday.

Good luck to everyone taking it tomorrow!!

EK practice tests are harder. They're much more detail oriented than AAMC. I'd stay away at this point.

I mean on today's AAMC 10 #76 I just assumed "reading" meant "reading aloud" and chose B) over D) because I assumed classic literature would be better study material for the baby than a pregnant woman's gossip...:mad:

Haha, I remember that question. I assumed reading out loud too, but I went ahead with D. Tricky stuff.

Well I'm happy. I just got my highest score to date on CBT 10, a 37 (10VR 14PS 13BS). I would seriously fall over if I actually got a score that high on th real thing.

YOU PPL MAKE ME SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in a good way :rolleyes:

Everyone relax a bit and be in a good mindset to rock this test on thurs. Just think, oh AAMC 11.

And tmntdonjuan I agree you are pretty even, because the curve on this one was harsh, I mean I got a lot more raw questions right and I still ended up with a 32.

So I just finished my last AAMC test. Here's my results.

AAMC 8 - 10 9 11 = 30
AAMC 4R - 10 9 10 = 29 (taken over 2 days)
AAMC 9 - 12 11 10 = 33
AAMC 10 - 12 8 10 = 30
AAMC 3 - 10 9 10 = 29 (verbal was 1 question short of a 10)

I stayed consistent in BS, but my PS and VR tend to be crapshoots. I'll hope for the best on Thursday :)

So I just finished my last AAMC test. Here's my results.

AAMC 8 - 10 9 11 = 30
AAMC 4R - 10 9 10 = 29 (taken over 2 days)
AAMC 9 - 12 11 10 = 33
AAMC 10 - 12 8 10 = 30
AAMC 3 - 10 9 10 = 29 (verbal was 1 question short of a 10)

I stayed consistent in BS, but my PS and VR tend to be crapshoots. I'll hope for the best on Thursday :)

I was in the same situation as you the first time I took the test. Make sure you don't have any areas that are totally lost on you. I wasn't aware that I had a severe lack of knowledge on optics until the actual test. I had a whole passage on lenses that screwed me over. My PS scores on diags were always 10 or above but I ended up with a 9 on the actual test. :thumbdown:

I think the only area in PS that i have a complete lack of knowledge is the subject of fundamental frequencies, nodes, etc. So I'm gonna hit that today and a little tomorrow. And do light review of equations and hit some high-yield stuff on BS (hormones, ATP yields, etc.)

I'm gonna take it easy for the most part. I may even go see a movie tonight to relax my brain. Maybe Dark Knight for the 3rd time? ;)

So, listening to everyone talk about the real thing, it seems like the "best" predictors(AAMCs) are not close to the real thing, how do they expect us to practice and what not ?

So, listening to everyone talk about the real thing, it seems like the "best" predictors(AAMCs) are not close to the real thing, how do they expect us to practice and what not ?

They do it to get you.

Just prepare to see something a little different.

The passages will be more dense and will recall more info from the passage. There will be less "easy" questions.

Just expect harder and do not freak out!

the 8/5 thread is making me kind of antsy..cant believe this thing is happening for real in 2 days:( good luck to all of us! hope there won't be a need for a retake..

How does the 8/5 thread affect us? Are we goign to encounter any similar topics ? Wouldnt the test be completely different for us?

How does the 8/5 thread affect us? Are we goign to encounter any similar topics ? Wouldnt the test be completely different for us?

For the less tested stuff, more than likely we will not see it.

But, you never know. Just relax and be prepared to tackle it all!!

Just drove to my test center. Took 36 minutes with moderate rush-hour traffic.

Reminder to everyone: prepare for traffic and leave your house EARLY!!

It's gonna suck for me. I have to drive through 7am Downtown Dallas traffic.

Ya we have to be there at 7:30am for the 8am test, I just read the thing they tell us to read. waking up at 6 is gonna suck majorly lol. Oh ya and traffic

Seeing as how the test is individualized, I don't see a problem occurring if I get there 5 minutes late. Unlike you guys I'll probably be waking up around 7.

Seeing as how the test is individualized, I don't see a problem occurring if I get there 5 minutes late. Unlike you guys I'll probably be waking up around 7.

I imagine they would let you still take it if you are only a few minutes late, but we had someone that was over 15 minutes late and the testing center would not let them in.

Just drove to my test center. Took 36 minutes with moderate rush-hour traffic.

Reminder to everyone: prepare for traffic and leave your house EARLY!!

It's gonna suck for me. I have to drive through 7am Downtown Dallas traffic.

Could stay in a hotel and get a wakeup call!!

When I took the mcat last August, I was the 2nd person to arrive at the testing center. I was WELL ahead of everyone else. I was able to clack away at my keyboard during WS while everyone was still on their Verbal. Everyone else's keyboards didn't start until I was close to finished with WS, or when I was starting BS.

That's why I'm getting there early again. So that I don't have to deal with other people's noise while i'm doing VR.

but now you are going to have to deal with the keyboard clicks when you are doing bio. which doesnt sound fun either. lol

My girlfriend broke up with me last night!!

I really liked her alot and never saw it coming.

WTF....I got no sleep last night and can't seem to focus on the MCAT.

Why could she not have waited?????

Wow..I'm really sorry man. That's the worst. I went through that a few months ago myself. Sometimes they don't understand to wait until after these kinds of things to break up. Fortunately, it doesn't change the fact that you know the material and you'll be able to recall it when you need to. Go do something fun today and try to get your mind off of it even though I know that's impossible.

My girlfriend broke up with me last night!!

I really liked her alot and never saw it coming.

WTF....I got no sleep last night and can't seem to focus on the MCAT.

Why could she not have waited?????

OH WTF?? She couldn't have waited two more days??? Thats bull...

Well dude I can try to tell you not to think about it, but you prob. will anyway, so try doing something that takes your full attention so you won't have time to worry about this. Go running or shoot some hoops, that always takes my mind off of stuff. Or listen to angry music and cheer up. Besides, You will rock the MCAT, and you will become a dr. so shes missing out :)

Oh and use your anger to rock the MCAT like you got a chip on your shoulder.

Oh and use your anger to rock the MCAT like you got a chip on your shoulder.

Actually, I am really sad, but when that happens I usually dive into my studies because they never disappoint me. Have not got to the anger phase:mad: yet. Maybe tomorrow!! :D

So, I am going to try to get focused on some PS and let it distract me.

Thanks, all!

Appreciate the support!!