The 1/25/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pingouin

just chillin'
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome, all January 25, 2008, MCATers!!!!

This is your official place to stress, vent, hang out, party, cry, yell, or whatever else you need to do in the week before and just after your MCAT.

As a reminder, when your test is done, you are welcome to come here and discuss your experience with it. Discussing general passage topics is OK- ie, "I had PS passages on circuits, thermodynamics, and optics." However, you are NOT allowed post specific questions or answer choices from your test. Any posts which contain specific information will be deleted, and a 2-week post hold will be placed on your account. Look here for more information on this.

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: to each and every one of you!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

My lowest practice score was on AAMC 10. Straight 10s. Never done that before. I'm not feeling too confident anymore.... I know I'm better than a 10 on BS and PS, and have done it before on other practice exams, and get 80%s on the Kaplan BS sectional tests (which are **** hard). Best score was a 35 on AAMC9.

I am so screwed, because people say AAMC 10 is the easy one and so on and so forth.... I just made too many dumb errors.

Oh well, I know everything (I don't have any conceptual weak spots, it's just that seeing it in the situation sometimes becomes problematic on kaplan PS, but never on AAMC BS, it's the dumb errors that get me), I've done all I could, now it is up to fate.

I think I might take up the strategy of summarizing each para because I've been finishing early on the science sections and just become impatient and submit it so i can see my score on the practice test lol. I should take my time and not rush. 8-9 minutes per passage, no reason to finish early unless the passage is a short one, and there's always a few of those.

Members don't see this ad :)
havent been on this site since i got my aug-14 scores back last fall. (i dont like to talk about it)

unfortunately i cant sleep and i have to be awake in about 6 hours to take the exam. looks like there arent too many of us compared to 1-26 so maybe everyone will get a 45?

good luck to everyone.

I'm about to shower and head out to take the test. Just wanted to say good luck to everyone. Just think, 5 years from now, we'll be looking back and wondering what the hell we were so stressed out for.
:laugh:

Best of luck all, I'm going to play Sonic 3 and Knuckles for 10 minutes to get my mind going, and then off to the testing site!

30-35 on my practice tests with 32 as average (and they say +/- 2 within your average) so maybe I can score above a 30 today. Of course I'll be shooting for a 45 :)

Good luck to all.

Kill it, Ahmed...and by it, I mean the MCAT...not Sonic & Knuckles

I better see a smile on your face Monday afternoon:luck:

DONE!!!!! YESS!!

SOooo happy!! Hopefully I can keep myself from agonizing about my score!

Some words about the test (not that it makes a huge difference):

1. Bethesda, MD prometric center is realllly nice and was super quiet the whole time. I was really worried about these things as I'd heard lots of complaints about other centers.

2. Exam was just about on par with all the AAMC's as far as difficulty and content. I didn't notice any big differences.

3. Good Luck to those taking 1/26 and beyond!

Finally!!!

The exam wasn't too bad - like DocWalken said, it was pretty similar to the AAMC practice tests. I think the BS and PS sections were pretty easy, although there were a few tough VR questions.

Good luck everyone taking it on 1/26!

So, are they going to curve this one with the one on the 26th? Or will it be separate?

I agree, it wasn't too bad...which of course makes me nervous that it might have been an easy test, which means you can't make as many mistakes. Gotta say though, my essay prompts sucked...not that I was counting on high writing scores, or care really, but is it honestly that hard to come up with a topic that people actually might be about to write about?

Members don't see this ad :)
Um, I dont know which test you guys took (I'm in NY), but the PS killed me. Like, seriously, I'd be surprised if I got a 6.

VR and BS..eh, I think I'll do better in VR....but yeah, PS sucks. Oh well.

Um, I dont know which test you guys took (I'm in NY), but the PS killed me. Like, seriously, I'd be surprised if I got a 6.

VR and BS..eh, I think I'll do better in VR....but yeah, PS sucks. Oh well.

What were ur topics and to which aamc do u think it was most similar to.... details please, I feel like an old women in a hair salon waiting to hear the latest gossip.

All of them. Good mix of physics/gen chem and orgo/bio about 50:50 for each I'd say.

There is NEVER 50:50 Bio:Orgo... Orgo is typically at most 30%... so are you seriously saying that your test was 50% Organic Chemistry? Thats news!!

I don't know how much detail you're allowed to give away, but were the PS/BS sections more passage based or more knowledge based? I'm assuming that the 1/25 and 1/26 tests are completely different, so does that mean that each test day gets its own curve? Also, will scores be available in 4 weeks or 2 weeks? Thanks!

PS: out of time, but i think i did ok(4 chemistry 3 PS)
VR: like always
BS: HARD AS HELL ( 3 passages of genetics, 1 oxigen Hb, 2 orgo)

I think al3ck and I might've had the same test, though the genetics is what made me actually feel more confident about BS...but I dunno, I think the PS totally sucked ass for me, especially this one question about molecular polarity tht I just ended up choosing some random answer for (cuz they all looked polar to me!)

I love Hb passages... Also, moderator can verify this... you can post the topics you had like one passage on phase changes or a passage on Gout--you just cant post specific questions or answers like I had a question on how much voltage are in a AC defibrillator.

I love Hb passages... Also, moderator can verify this... you can post the topics you had like one passage on phase changes or a passage on Gout--you just cant post specific questions or answers like I had a question on how much voltage are in a AC defibrillator.
Correct. There's a sticky at the top of the MCAT forum that discusses this in more detail, and there's a link to said sticky in the first post of this thread.

What's OK: general passage topics- ie, "genetics", "micro", "circuits", "acid-base", etc.

What's not OK: posting or requesting that someone else post specific MCAT questions or answer choices. Posting something "not OK" will result in a 2-week post-hold on your account, inflicted by yours truly or another MCAT mod.

So for example, you could say "That genetics passage about the mice was really hard.", but you will get infracted and post-held for "In that mouse genetics passage, there was a question about fur color. Was the answer black or white?"

We don't like to give post holds. It's a lot of extra work for us. Please let us have a relaxing weekend, and in doing so, keep your ability to vent on here. :D

What were the genetic passages about? (starting 2 b happy now cuz molecular genetics is my worst topic and I was about to take the test today rather than tomorrow)

1-heterogous homocygous experiment, 2-RNA virus intruduced in cell for inmun, 3-some theories about evolution.

BluePhoenix said:
I agree, it wasn't too bad...which of course makes me nervous that it might have been an easy test, which means you can't make as many mistakes. Gotta say though, my essay prompts sucked...not that I was counting on high writing scores, or care really, but is it honestly that hard to come up with a topic that people actually might be about to write about?
Hahaha, my essay prompts sucked too - gotta give it to the test makers to come up with the most ridiculous **** possible.

I had the same test as you. The genetics passages were pretty complicated, but I think one of the orgo ones (with the GIGANTIC mechanism) was the toughest on the BS section. The PS took a long ass time for me too, I'm betting it's because I didn't sleep very well last night.

PS: Seriously, how many optics questions can there be on one MCAT?? That was really frustrating. Chemistry was pretty easy however.

VR: Same as practice tests

BS: The Orgo with the long mechanism was just downright ridiculous. Personally I thought the Biology was a lot harder than AAMC 8-10.

I agree...I bet there are tons of ppl taking the mcat tomorrow just waiting and waiting to see if anyone is going to give them more details.
ahh, why are ppl not sharing their exp more specifically? are they all out partying???

I took the test today. Physics was horrible. I had to guess my way through practically the whole section. VR and BS were fine. How soon do we find out how we did? I thought I read somewhere that this year we would be getting our results in two weeks.

physics was terrible, just terrible. I didn't have nearly enough time to finish PS. I thought VS and BS were pretty easy.

PS: Seriously, how many optics questions can there be on one MCAT?? That was really frustrating. Chemistry was pretty easy however.

VR: Same as practice tests

BS: The Orgo with the long mechanism was just downright ridiculous. Personally I thought the Biology was a lot harder than AAMC 8-10.

Yikes! I'm taking the test tomorrow and optics is definitely my weakest area. Since it was on the 1/25 exam, does that mean that it may not appear quite as much on the 1/26 exam? Or should I spend an hour or two reviewing optics tonight? Any recommendations?

DONE! yes it's over. hopefully for good.

i scored pretty well on aamc practices and felt as if this was just another practice. whoever was espousing the theory that it's more like kaplan difficulty-wise is a liar and should quit trying to freak out people.

overall, same as AAMCs. my test center rocked. i felt way comfortable there and would take it over again.
PS: slightly harder but i'd say overall very similar
VR: slightly easier passages slightly harder questions
BS: overall pretty easy -- maybe deceptively easy??

made 1 or 2 silly mistakes i already know about but i'll leave a very incoherent post in a few hours. ps anyone who took it today: CONGRATS WE'RE DONE.
if you want to join me and are either in: DC tonight, jersey tomorrow night, NYC sunday night, or Boston from monday onwards, contact me and we'll go out and get a drink!!

awesome, see ya SDN

P.S. ya'll are gonna get your asses banned for talkin about specific questions - watch yourselvess (from personal experience haha)

I guess I was the only one that got railed by VR. Had 6 mins left on the last passage :(.

I had some magnetism passage and the atwood for physics. I had like 1 evolution question lol.

I felt like it was an easy exam, but I didn't take advantage of it. No curve = punishment for dumb errors (which is natural with me).

Damn.

PS- Harder than the AAMC practice tests. It seemed like it involved much more complex math than usual. As a result I was rushed toward the end and had to guess on some questions. I don't think I did well on this section.

VR- Similar to AAMC. The passages were surprisingly easy to read compared to some of the AAMC practice tests. Of course there were some ambiguous questions asked.

BS- I also had the test with the 3 genetics passages, a passage about evolution, and that huge orgo mechanism passage. I thought overall the bio wasn't too bad. Very similar to the AAMC tests.

Overall, the test was fairly representative of the AAMC practice tests. If you're taking the MCAT tomorrow, I would make sure you pace yourself on the PS section. I always finished on time on the practice tests but didn't today. I'm not sure if that is because I was nervous or just because the questions were more involved.

Took the test in New York, NY, 675 Third Ave. 2nd floor. Too bad I kept hearing sirens and car horns, but the noise canceling earmuffs helped some.

To the test:
PS section - miserable on the physics, great on the gen chem. Lots of fluid dynamics, lots of optics, pulley system, a physical medical device passage all hurt me. Gen chem a breeze. I think I guessed 5-7 on tje physics =( and may have ran out of time and wasn't able to fill one question =(. I hope all my other answers were correct, and these guesses are the only ones that could be wrong!!

VR section - not bad at all. I hope I get a 10 on this one.

BS section - not bad at all. Passages included the oxygen dissociation curve, molecular and Mendelian genetics, long organic mechanism. hope i get an 11+ on this one.

10-10-10 would be glorious, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

DONE! yes it's over. hopefully for good.

i scored pretty well on aamc practices and felt as if this was just another practice. whoever was espousing the theory that it's more like kaplan difficulty-wise is a liar and should quit trying to freak out people.

overall, same as AAMCs. my test center rocked. i felt way comfortable there and would take it over again.
PS: slightly harder but i'd say overall very similar
VR: slightly easier passages slightly harder questions
BS: overall pretty easy -- maybe deceptively easy??

made 1 or 2 silly mistakes i already know about but i'll leave a very incoherent post in a few hours. ps anyone who took it today: CONGRATS WE'RE DONE.
if you want to join me and are either in: DC tonight, jersey tomorrow night, NYC sunday night, or Boston from monday onwards, contact me and we'll go out and get a drink!!

awesome, see ya SDN

P.S. ya'll are gonna get your asses banned for talkin about specific questions - watch yourselvess (from personal experience haha)

Did you take it at Bethesda??

To everyone else, yea:

PS: the physics passage about atwood messed me up a little..other than that I don't really remember having much other difficulty with PS, finished on time.

VR: A little weird, spent a lot of time on the politics passage. Ended up with only 3 mins for last passage so more or less guess on that.

BS: Not bad, I liked the orgo questions (especially the synthesis one...don't kill me please). Messed up on a few stupid discreets/microbio questions. On the whole pretty good though.

Congrats everyone!

For those of you who took Kaplan.............how did it compare? Any particular exams from Kaplan that you thought it compared to? Overall.....do you think Kaplan helped?

I'm not sure, but i thought it was ok........one can only pray now :D

For those of you who took Kaplan.............how did it compare? Any particular exams from Kaplan that you thought it compared to?

I'm not sure, but i thought it was ok........one can only pray now :D

Kaplan PS is ridiculous compared to the one I took, but there is a lot less room for errors on today's exam.

What do you mean ridiculous? As in useless? Or ridiculously harder than the real MCAT?

Ridiculously harder. Some of those tests just try to break your confidence in your knowledge, IMO. They're good for finding out any conceptual weak areas.

Ridiculously harder. Some of those tests just try to break your confidence in your knowledge, IMO. They're good for finding out any conceptual weak areas.

With that I would strongly agree... I felt the same way with Kaplan material than compared with today. How were you doing in the Kaplan material? If you don't mind me asking.....what did your average scores look like for full-lengths and the other material that they have?

With that I would strongly agree... I felt the same way with Kaplan material than compared with today. How were you doing in the Kaplan material? If you don't mind me asking.....what did your average scores look like for full-lengths and the other material that they have?

Topicals around 60%, FLs were around 32-35 (2-6). If I don't get a 30, it was because I made dumb errors, not because it was a tough exam. I kind of wish I had this experience under my belt earlier because you learn a ton once you've taken it, like what not to worry about vs. what to worry about. I shouldn't have looked at the timer so much during VR.

Topicals around 60%, FLs were around 32-35 (2-6). If I don't get a 30, it was because I made dumb errors, not because it was a tough exam. I kind of wish I had this experience under my belt earlier because you learn a ton once you've taken it, like what not to worry about vs. what to worry about. I shouldn't have looked at the timer so much during VR.

Well damm..... i was doing about 60% also........now i'm starting to freak out :eek:

Well damm..... i was doing about 60% also........now i'm starting to freak out :eek:

You'll do fine. I'm an idiot. Don't take my word for anything when it comes to the MCAT. Stop worrying about what other people say and trust your own abilities. You're probably a better test taker than I am.

It is not a difficult exam if you keep your head on straight. I think I kept my head on straight for PS and BS, but VR I think I just panicked. Now I'm worried about getting a 7 :( when I worked so hard to get my score up to a 9 or a 10 (I started at 8).

Ahahahha ONLY ONE O-CHEM PASSAGE in BS! (phew)

Genetics passages a plenty... Not particularly hard though, also, very glad that I reviewed Hb/O2 dissociation cures last night... I'm not sure about PS, I definitely did not want the first passage to be about magnetism. :scared:

Verbal was hard, obviously. ONE funny thing about some rumor about some woman's head exploding after getting her hair permed. :laugh:

I took the test today. Physics was horrible. I had to guess my way through practically the whole section. VR and BS were fine. How soon do we find out how we did? I thought I read somewhere that this year we would be getting our results in two weeks.

Two weeks? :eek: I was willing to wait a month! Ah ah ah ahhh!! Getting nervous all over again - how do we find out, just keep checking the THX site??

Just took it in Houston.

Verbal: I only finished six of the passages. I completely guessed on the seventh. :scared:
PS: Nothing too weird. It was about as hard as AAMC 10.
BS: The evolution passage was very strange, but I guess it's because Princeton Review didn't touch that material at all.