The $16,819 Pay Gap for Newly Trained Physicians: The Unexplained Trend of Men Earning More Than Wom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sayluv

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear resident/fellow/attending physicians,

As a requirement for my master’s research paper I am conducting a literature review of gender wage gap studies. Over the years research such as that by Lo Sasso et al. (2011) has confirmed that newly trained male physicians often earn more than their female counterparts, however, little progress has been made in determining why. Similar to others, Lo Sasso concluded that in 2008, newly trained male physicians in New York State made on average $16,819 more than their female counterparts, compared to a $3,600 difference in 1999.

If you could please take a moment to anonymously answer a few brief questions regarding the issue I would be greatly appreciative.

This survey is only for those who have earned the medical degree and have begun a residency program or beyond.

Survey Monkey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/N98HVB3

Thank you.

References:

Lo Sasso, A., Richards, M., Chou, C., Gerber, S. (2011, February). The $16,819 pay gap for newly trained physicians: The unexplained trend of men earning more than women. Health Affairs 30 (3), 193-201.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do yo
Dear resident/fellow/attending physicians,

As a requirement for my master’s research paper I am conducting a literature review of gender wage gap studies. Over the years research such as that by Lo Sasso et al. (2011) has confirmed that newly trained male physicians often earn more than their female counterparts, however, little progress has been made in determining why. Similar to others, Lo Sasso concluded that in 2008, newly trained male physicians in New York State made on average $16,819 more than their female counterparts, compared to a $3,600 difference in 1999.

If you could please take a moment to anonymously answer a few brief questions regarding the issue I would be greatly appreciative.

This survey is only for those who have earned the medical degree and have begun a residency program or beyond.

Survey Monkey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/N98HVB3

Thank you.

References:

Lo Sasso, A., Richards, M., Chou, C., Gerber, S. (2011, February). The $16,819 pay gap for newly trained physicians: The unexplained trend of men earning more than women. Health Affairs 30 (3), 193-201.

Do you have a copy of the full manuscript?

I find it very hard to believe that practices pay women less for the same work/hours. Didn't realize Medicare decided to pay RVUs based upon gender with women getting paid less.

Never seen women who produced the same RVUs making less in the same geography/hours/experience.

I realize this is ancient but you have to account for specialty if you want any meaningful data... maybe a better question to ask, for example, is why do more women go into specialties such as pediatrics? Is it because all residencies other than pediatrics discriminate against women? Lmao

Members don't see this ad :)
I realize this is ancient but you have to account for specialty if you want any meaningful data... maybe a better question to ask, for example, is why do more women go into specialties such as pediatrics? Is it because all residencies other than pediatrics discriminate against women? Lmao

The recent studies have accounted for specialty type.

The problems are the hours/locations/experience/etc aren't accounted for well in the data.

The recent studies have accounted for specialty type.

The problems are the hours/locations/experience/etc aren't accounted for well in the data.
Basically. Male physicians work longer hours, take more call, and tend to take more time consuming practice management responsibilities than female physicians.

Basically. Male physicians work longer hours, take more call, and tend to take more time consuming practice management responsibilities than female physicians.

Very true plus they are more likely to work in rural/small cities that have far less competition that have to pay HIGHER salaries.

Women don't want to leave the big cities where there is an oversupply of physicians but complain about lower pay. Its all a fraud.

Your question "Have you heard or do you believe..." is terrible, especially when your follow-up question is "If yes, then....". Hearing about something and believing something to be true are two very different things.

I have heard that female physicians are paid less than male physicians. I do not believe this is true on a large scale when adjusted for hours worked, geographical locations, RVUs billed, experience, and non-monetary benefits.