The 1st Year in Podiatry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnePodRanger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello applicants and future podiatry students,

I just want to discuss completing my first year of podiatry school and just to let you know, this post is subjective due to every podiatry school having different curriculums. For instance, I attend at Des Moines University and I have my classes with the DO program, the scale could be different. Before I begin, I'll give you my background information.

I had a 3.6 GPA with a 495 MCAT coming into my first year and I had plenty of experience in terms of volunteering, extracurricular activities, shadowing, and working as both a medical assistant and biochemistry researcher. My interest in podiatry was fairly late after I interviewed at 2-3 DO interviews. I did not really want to become a DO and saw podiatry as a potential profession and loved every single aspect of it. So I applied in October and got an interview in November at DMU. A week later, I got in and gladly accepted a $6000 scholarship over there.

Anyways, where to begin...

I'll be honest, that was the toughest year in my entire life. The first semester was not the worst but definitely was not the best. It was work and as expected, it was tough. I made plenty of friends there and received many opportunities to get involved (in my opinion, the best part of the 1st year so far). I took gross anatomy, histology, principles, and practices of podiatric medicine, clinical medicine and biochemistry in that semester. As you know, biochemistry was the toughest part of that semester. It is definitely doable but you have to work hard for it. I came out of that semester with a 3.4 and stable (emotionally and physically).

For the second semester, oh god. The courses were not that hard, to be honest, but it was just the workload that came with it. I had two exams for almost every week and you were kind of forced to leapfrog and I know you were not suggested to do that but it just happened. I took neuroanatomy, pathology, gross anatomy II, medical physiology, clinical medicine II, microbiology and immunology, and geriatrics (I did not take all of them at the same time but they do overlap at times). I tried to get involved as much as possible but the workload definitely reduced my time to get involved. I failed multiple exams and struggled to even pass in some subjects. Yes, I failed some exams but never failed out of a course. If you fail an exam, DON'T FREAK OUT. It is not the end because there are so many exams in the higher credit courses that other exams overlap them. I remembered having a C in a class in the middle of the semester and got a B at the end of the semester because I boosted my grades at the end. It is doable to change your study habits and adjust to the classes. I thought medical physiology was the toughest course that I have ever taken in podiatry school so far. It involved a lot of concepts and memorization and you needed to grasp on the visualizations of each organ system was trying to do overall. I ended with a 3.0 for this semester and got a 3.2 overall for the 1st year. From what I heard for DMU, this was supposedly the hardest semester of your medical school career. Let's hope that's true because I could not handle another semester like that again.

If I had advice for the first year in terms of academics...it would definitely be to get your study habits down and quickly. If something works for you, DO IT! Don't change your habits in the middle of the semester because it would be hard for you to get back up. For me, I finally found a study method that worked for me and it was to watch the lectures twice and take notes on them. It was risky for me because I was not sure if I retained the information but I trusted myself that I did and it paid off. Everyone's study habits are different and you don't have to follow them if it doesn't work for you. For example, a lot of my classmates love using Anki but I didn't because I felt it took too much time reading over 300 cards per exam. Again, some people enjoy studying this way, good for them.

For advice in general in podiatry school in the 1st year, I would say get involved! The first year is all about academics and getting the GPA that you want. GPA gets to you and it happens. To avoid the stressors of GPA, get involved or do something that you love. Join every club that your school provides you because it doesn't hurt if you don't go to some of the meetings but it is there for you anyways. Volunteer or grab a job on campus somewhere. JUST GET INVOLVED. It what makes you different from the other candidates. Grades are just a part of getting a residency. The other things will tell the rest of you.

In conclusion, the first year was HARD but it is not impossible! You'll get the things that you love to do, trust me. You just need to find time for it. If you are aiming for a high GPA like a 3.9, then you might lose the things that you love but to me, that's not worth it. Many residencies just need a 3.0 and above. But if you want a 3.9 then sure, go right ahead but it is not that beneficial to have in the long term. The perfect GPA is probably a 3.5-3.6 for a guaranteed residency with other factors as well.

Hope this helped for some of you to get a good idea of what the 1st year is like. Ask questions if you need to!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
Thanks for the transparency! I'm excited to start school in the Fall :)

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, anything above 3.5 will get you in the door to any residency. Above a 3.0 will get you into most residencies. How you perform on externships is what will get you that residency. Keep up with the grind!! Best of luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
495 is a 30th percentile... may want to improve that for future test taking situations.

495 is a 30th percentile... may want to improve that for future test taking situations.

You just finished your 1st year as a DO student at VCOM Carolinas.

What axe do you have to grind with podiatry?
Your dismissive comments about MCAT scores are getting old.

If you are here to s*** on the little guy and gleefully cackle on your keyboard, go take it somewhere else man. I am genuinely disappointed. You have a chance to represent your profession well. You no doubt have the grades and intellectual accumen for it.

Why get on here just to make barbed comments? You've done it multiple times in this forum as well as other ones.

Reactions: 8 users
He is prolly salty because a premed in the low 490s MCAT and 3.0 GPA can still go to Podiatry school and be a doctor while he had a 3.5 GPA, had to retake the MCAT many times, maybe had to do a SMP, barely get into a low tier DO school and is doomed to a life of primary care and maybe anesthesia or EM if he gets super high board scores. He doesn’t feel special anymore now that pods can wear a white coat and call themselves doctors without having to go to “medical school”. Sounds familiar, like MDs looking down on DOs because of an MCAT score.

You just finished your 1st year as a DO student at VCOM Carolinas.

What axe do you have to grind with podiatry?
Your dismissive comments about MCAT scores are getting old.

If you are here to s*** on the little guy and gleefully cackle on your keyboard, go take it somewhere else man. I am genuinely disappointed. You have a chance to represent your profession well. You no doubt have the grades and intellectual accumen for it.

Why get on here just to make barbed comments? You've done it multiple times in this forum as well as other ones.

He is prolly salty because a premed in the low 490s MCAT and 3.0 GPA can still go to Podiatry school and be a doctor while he had a 3.5 GPA, had to retake the MCAT many times, maybe had to do a SMP, barely get into a low tier DO school and is doomed to a life of primary care and maybe anesthesia or EM if he gets super high board scores. He doesn’t feel special anymore now that pods can wear a white coat and call themselves doctors without having to go to “medical school”. Sounds familiar, like MDs looking down on DOs because of an MCAT score.

I've got nothing but respect for him. Have 3 friends who just graduated DO and matched Family Med, IM, whatever. My own sibling is at an MD program about to take Step right now and wants to match IM or EM.

So I get it.

But at some point in time you just get tired of being toxic.

How much free time did you find yourself having and how much did you study around each day? Was it possible to enjoy the evenings on weekends atleast? Congrats on completing your first year by the way! :) your post was very encouraging.

Reactions: 3 users
How much free time did you find yourself having and how much did you study around each day? Was it possible to enjoy the evenings on weekends atleast? Congrats on completing your first year by the way! :) your post was very encouraging.

Let's see..... it depends honestly. The exam schedule for the first semester was pretty random. Sometimes I had an exam per week and sometimes, I have a week to study for one exam for the following week. As for the second semester, I pretty much had 2 exams every week.

Free time....

For the first semester, I had some free time on my hands because they were fewer courses I had to take. For the second semester, I was definitely busier but I needed to put some time for myself to not lose my mind. I like to go to the gym a lot and so, I made time for that (1 hour per day). If you want a quantitative answer, I would say...I had 3-4 hours of free time on average.

Studying...

For the first semester, I studied 5-6 hours per day and did whatever I wanted when I felt like I was done. If it's closer to an exam, I increase it by 8-9 hours.
For the second semester, I studied 7-8 hours per day and if it's closer to an exam (pretty much, the 2 days before), 9-10 hours if I had the energy to do so. It also depends on the exam. if I found that subject easier, I might reduce the effort and time to just 6-7 hours on it.

Weekends and evening...

100%. I like to enjoy my weekends (mostly on Friday nights), instead of thinking of Biochemistry or Physiology consistently. I go out almost every weekend and no...it does not always mean drinking you booze hounds. Sometimes, I just like to watch a football game with the guys for the night and talk with them. I remember having a group of friends that likes Asian food and we decided to make a group dinner for almost every week.

I would definitely recommend just taking a day off from your studying schedule on a weekend (I would not recommend Sunday though). I know you want to study and get ahead but that's going to burn you out. Trust me, it happened to me and I paid the price for it. You need to put time for yourself in order not to lose your mojo. For my second year, I'm definitely just going to take a day off for myself for every week. It's going to refresh my brain and feel like I'm not always studying.

Hope this helps and good luck on whatever you're doing!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the post. You put in a lot of work. I wonder how much work has to be put in to get a 4.0 (I know many say it’s not necessary, but I’m curious)