The 2005-2006 NHSC Scholarship Applications have Arrived!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peace&Health

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you interested in a serving as a primary care clinician in an underserved area? Well if you are applying to an allopathic/osteopathic medical school, family nurse practitioner program, nurse midwifery program, physician assistant program or dental school...you should request a scholarship application today! For more information on the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) visit http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/

**********A L E R T*********

Application packets for the NHSC Scholarship Program will be mailed no later than Friday, January 7 to the individuals who requested applications and to approximately 500 colleges and universities in the U.S and Puerto Rico. The deadline for receipt of the scholarship application is March 25, 2005.

Applications can be obtained by calling (800) 221-9393.

Members don't see this ad.

Peace&Health said:
Are you interested in a serving as a primary care clinician in an underserved area? Well if you are applying to an allopathic/osteopathic medical school, family nurse practitioner program, nurse midwifery program, physician assistant program or dental school...you should request a scholarship application today! For more information on the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) visit http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/

Application packets for the NHSC Scholarship Program will be mailed no later than Friday, January 7 to the individuals who requested applications and to approximately 500 colleges and universities in the U.S and Puerto Rico. The deadline for receipt of the scholarship application is March 25, 2005.

You applying this year? Me too, let me know how it goes!

Will apply if my negotiations with a hospital fall through. The NHSC is too good of a deal to pass up if you already know that is what you want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
ArcherM2 said:
Are there application criteria?

Archer,

You can read more by going to the link. But this scholarship requires you work in an underserved area after you are done. Don't know if this helps.

iatrosB said:
You applying this year? Me too, let me know how it goes!

Yep, you let me know how it goes too. I called them to send me an application and they where pretty nice. This is what I want to do later, so this would be perfect but I heard its competitive.

Does "underserved" mean rural? Or can inner city be underserved as well?

Peace&Health said:
Yep, you let me know how it goes too. I called them to send me an application and they where pretty nice. This is what I want to do later, so this would be perfect but I heard its competitive.

Peace&Health said:

Yeah, 1 in 7 get the scholarship. Looking at it pessimistically, 6 people out of every 7 do NOT get it :scared: ! I am crossing my fingers. Primary care is the reason I decided to go into medicine, so if someone wants to pay for my school that's great!

BMW19 said:

There are a lot of inner city places. In fact, it is suprising to see some of the sites that you can practice in. My hometown currently has a site and I do not consider it underserved. It changes from year to year though so it is kind of a gamble.

iatrosB said:
Yeah, 1 in 7 get the scholarship. Looking at it pessimistically, 6 people out of every 7 do NOT get it :scared: ! I am crossing my fingers. Primary care is the reason I decided to go into medicine, so if someone wants to pay for my school that's great!

Are there limits on GPA and MCAT, things like that?
Also, do you have to know which school you are definately going to when you apply for NHSC? Right now I have one acceptance, but if I get into another school I may go there?!

iatrosB said:
There are a lot of inner city places. In fact, it is suprising to see some of the sites that you can practice in. My hometown currently has a site and I do not consider it underserved. It changes from year to year though so it is kind of a gamble.

Hi. Is there a list generated of the current rural sites? when applying you can choose rural or inner city right? I know I should just read the web info more, but I didn't see anything about a list of sites, would love to check it out if they do. THANKS :D

irishlaydi said:
Are there limits on GPA and MCAT, things like that?
Also, do you have to know which school you are definately going to when you apply for NHSC? Right now I have one acceptance, but if I get into another school I may go there?!

From what I understand, GPA and MCAT are not even considered. The fact that you are in medical school is good enough for them. It is based on a psychological questionaire (application) that they send you. If you pass the initial screening, you have an interview. Not sure about the school thing because I am sure of where I am going.

Members don't see this ad :)
irishlaydi said:
Hi. Is there a list generated of the current rural sites? when applying you can choose rural or inner city right? I know I should just read the web info more, but I didn't see anything about a list of sites, would love to check it out if they do. THANKS :D

If you go to the website, there is a link on the side that says "Job Opportunities". Click that and then scroll to the bottom of that page and it will say "Search vacancies now". Click on that and then select the critera from the drop-down boxes. Here is the exact link:

http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/jobs/search_form.cfm

iatrosB said:
If you go to the website, there is a link on the side that says "Job Opportunities". [/url]

Thanks Iatros,
I didn't think to look there! I checked out the CA sites and there is a good spread of available positions throughout CA.

I received my application in mail this morning!! It's quite a packet, grab your number 2 pencil and start bubbling in the circles....

Sharon Lee said:
I received my application in mail this morning!! It's quite a packet, grab your number 2 pencil and start bubbling in the circles....

Thanks for the info. Still waiting for mine.

BMW19 said:
You may should write Dr. Evans and make sure that PCOM-GA can accept the NHSC scholarship due to their accredidation level? Just be sure before you invest lots of time. I know VCOM can not accept NHSC scholarship until after they graduate their first class.

Peace&Health said:
Thanks for the info. Still waiting for mine.

Me too :(

Geronimo said:
You may should write Dr. Evans and make sure that PCOM-GA can accept the NHSC scholarship due to their accredidation level? Just be sure before you invest lots of time. I know VCOM can not accept NHSC scholarship until after they graduate their first class.

What does this mean, I don't understand how they could not accept the scholarship? Is it because it is a new school?

iatrosB said:
What does this mean, I don't understand how they could not accept the scholarship? Is it because it is a new school?

Thanks for the info on searching sites. When did you all request an application to be sent? Just wondering how long it takes to get sent to you. Also, I was reading on here somewhere that we should get the apps in ASAP to have the best shot, but I asked the rep on the phone when I called for an application and she said it wouldn't make a difference. Anyone know?
:luck:

iatrosB said:
Actually, it works in reverse, the NHSC will not give the scholarship to schools that are not accredited. Call VCOM's office and ask. I checked this out already. Best of luck to you!

so does that mean if your going to pcom-alt you cant get the scholarship?

irishlaydi said:
Thanks for the info on searching sites. When did you all request an application to be sent? Just wondering how long it takes to get sent to you. Also, I was reading on here somewhere that we should get the apps in ASAP to have the best shot, but I asked the rep on the phone when I called for an application and she said it wouldn't make a difference. Anyone know?
:luck:

I requested mine about two months ago, but I don't think that matters. They sent the applications out last week to all who ask no matter when. I received mine today :D . I heard before that time wasn't an issue as long as you turned it in before the deadline, don't know for sure though.

brent311 said:
so does that mean if your going to pcom-alt you cant get the scholarship?
Not sure given they have a different "accredidation" status than VCOM. That is what I was asking about. The military doesn't care about that but the NHSC Scholars program does seem to care. I got my NHSC scholarship application yesterday. It seems a lot shorter than I thought it would be.

I have a question for those who are already on the NHSC scholarship, through with it, or know somebody in either of those situations. What other benefits do you receive besides tuition, books, fee, and stipend? I've heard others mention trips to conferences and things such as that.

Peace&Health said:

Thanks a lot P&H! I asked for my app today! :) :thumbup: