The 2009 Allopathic & Osteopathic poll : Where are you applying?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bth7, Jun 1, 2008.

?

Where are you applying?

Poll closed Mar 28, 2009.
  1. I am applying to both allopathic and osteopathic schools.

89 vote(s)
    29.9%
  2. I’m only applying to allopathic medical schools. I never considered osteopathic schools.

161 vote(s)
    54.0%
  3. I considered applying to osteopathic schools, but . . . [post your reasons.]

43 vote(s)
    14.4%
  4. Allopathic & osteopathic? What the heck are you talking about?

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. bth7

bth7 It's worth it in the end . . .

Fellow [Any Field]
    Howdy folks,

Last year's allopathic/osteopathic poll was really interesting. So let's do it again for this application cycle.

Here's the results of last years poll:

Cheers!

bth

#1 bth7, Jun 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. olemissbabydoc

olemissbabydoc Baby Doctor
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    ... location wasn't convenient. There are no D.O. schools anywhere near me.

4. bth7

Fellow [Any Field]
    There are certainly less of them.

bth

5. bcat85

Resident [Any Field]
    I didn't know osteopathic schools existed until this year

6. Maruko

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I think the only difference b/w MD and DO is that DO focuses on "treating" the soul, right ?

7. paradocs we are

paradocs we are In love with you

Medical Student
    I think there's more to it than just that. :laugh:

8. Bacchus

Administrator Moderator Physician

Attending Physician
    The only completely tangible difference is the addition of Osteopathic manipulation being taught at DO schools. The philosophy is a historical note. Both groups treat the patient in the form of a whole picture.

9. Bacchus

Attending Physician
    I voted both, but definitely DO.

10. Maruko

Example, please!
    Excuse me but I don't really see why there are DO schools besides MD ones.
    So , when treating a heart-attack case (or another disease that better illustrates the difference), what's the DO approach ?

#9 Maruko, Jun 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  11. WDeagle

Resident [Any Field]
    Well looks like its time for someone to do some research. 5 minutes on wikipedia might give you some better insight into the history and current state of osteopathic medicine.

12. bth7

Fellow [Any Field]
    You might try these articles:

Osteopathic medicine in the United States
    Comparison of MD and DO in the United States

Here's a sample:
    Sources:
    1. JD Howell, MD PhD. The Paradox of Osteopathy. N Engl J Med. 1999 Nov 4;341(19):1465-8. PMID 10547412
    2. JD Howell, MD PhD. Correspondence. New Engl J Med. Volume 342:817-820 Number 11. 16 March 2000.
    3. Johnson SM, Kurtz ME. Perceptions of philosophic and practice differences between US osteopathic physicians and their allopathic counterparts. Soc Sci Med. 2002; 55:2141 –2148. PMID 12409127
    4. Licciardone, JC. A comparison of patient visits to osteopathic and allopathic general and family medicine physicians: results from the National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey, 2003–2004 Osteopath Med Prim Care. 2007 Jan 12;1:2. PMID 17371578

bth

13. Maruko

Thanks everyone

#12 Maruko, Jun 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  14. wanttogohome

Medical Student
    hmm where to start....I think it's extremely difficult to assert that a particular school prepares students better for post-graduation success. Just like undergraduate schools, there are so so so so so so so many other factors that come into play. Clearly there are no stats to back this up, but I think anyone with a brain would be willing to say that the individual has a heck of a lot more to do with their future success than where they went to school....listen, I'm a realist. Like most people I buy into the reputation and prestige thing to an extent....Heck, I am an Ivy grad and i'll admit I am proud of it on a very basic and superficial level....why superficial level? Because I'm not nearly arrogant enough to think that where i went to school entitles me to anything afterwards. I feel the same way with medicine to an extent. I am comfortable admitting that Hopkins, Harvard, etc.. grads will likely get there pick of residencies....but whether or not these students are receiving a superior education is very debatable. However, I can certainly see the appeal of these schools.

On to my point for posting: I think besides these "elite" schools which we all know exist (and i mean elite primarily based on reputation because like i said, i highly doubt you could quantify the quality of education at even the oldest, most prestigious schools), I think that MOST other schools are in the same broad category when all factors are considered. I'm in Philly right now. Is there any indication that Temple or Drexel Med is a "better" school than PCOM. Absolutely not.

To address the quote above: DO schools are medical schools. They do not teach anything that emphasizes family medicine over anything else. Any osteopathic school requires the SAME courses as any allopathic school only the DO schools require additional training in OMM....additional...in addition to...not instead of.

An MD degree is medical degree until someone corrects me. a DO degree is a medical degree until someone corrects me. No medical school is a stepping stone to a medical degree. Not to be rude, but if you believe that there are different levels of medical degrees you might want to sit out this cycle and read a book...

MD grad X and a DO grad Y are the exact same thing as MD grad X and MD grad Y. Differences will be inevitable, but qualitative...just like a BS from Temple is not a stepping stone to a BS from Penn.

Sorry for the long post.

15. DenaliView

Pre-Medical
    Probably silly but I always wonder if you are able to get the respect from patients coming out as a DO instead of an MD. My Pre-Med Advisor said as far as residency programs go you are looked at exactly the same…Anyone have any insight if this is actually true????

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. wanttogohome

Medical Student
    Just in my experience, patients don't even notice/care. I think it's as rare as a patient asking you where you went to medical school. My experiences with MDs/Do's, however, was at a hospital where it was about 50/50 each and a DO teaching hospital. Most doctors had D.O. or M.D. on their coat and it never seemed to come up....there was also one D.O. that had Dr._____ on his coat which i thought was interesting. Anyway, in going along with my post above, I think it's as relevant as judging someone based on where they went to med school which is silly IMO unless maybe if it's extremely impressive (harvard, jhu etc...)

18. DenaliView

Pre-Medical
    Nevermind I see another thread is currently addressing this topic. Sorry ALL:oops:

19. bth7

Fellow [Any Field]
    Start here in investigating your question:

Osteopathic Medicine in the US
    Comparison of MD and DO

bth
    Touro University, MS IV

20. martin41

I would have applied to DMU, but I didn't realize that you have to shadow a DO to apply. I don't see why shadowing an MD isn't an acceptable substitute. Hopefully I won't be regretting this next May...

21. LikeClockWork

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I considered DO, but I need to stay in state. The only DO school for my state is in a smaller town where my girlfriend wouldn't be likely to find the work she wants to do. Looks like I'm sticking to the two allopathic schools in larger cities this cycle.

22. bth7

Fellow [Any Field]
    It should be acceptable. If they are really that rigid about the policy, they are only hurting their own applicant pool.

bth

23. missbee

missbee Accepted

Pre-Medical
    Wouldn't mind being a DO, especially since here in OK they're pretty common. I just got a little offended at my sister (who's a DO) saying, "It's gonna be a lot easier for you to get into OSU than it was for me," so I kind of want to go to OU to spite her (well, not just out of spite; I really do like the school lol)

24. Bradstein

Bradstein Friendly R3

Resident [Any Field]
    Considered DO, but I don't know much about them and I didn't want to divide my attentions, really. The big thing is that my top choice are state-schools because I'm going to get a heck of a deal on tuition.

25. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna

Fellow [Any Field]
    Ive heard they aren't that strict on the policy, but i'm not sure. But if you had really wanted to go there, you would have shadowed a DO. Unless you live in a small town, they are not that hard to find.

26. hopefuldoc87

hopefuldoc87 Killer tofu

Resident [Any Field]
    :thumbup: excellent post.

honestly, i can't remember how many times i've heard from CURRENT medical students and residents that the difference between DO and MD (wit the exception of OMM of course) is so slim that no one even realizes it. and also, i've heard that the only people that seem to see a difference are premedical students. so i always take what some of the premeds say about the differences on SDN with a grain of salt. i choose instead to read up on both professions, and make an informed choice that way.

this has been argued so many times on SDN, sorry for bringing it up again.

27. bth7

Fellow [Any Field]
    :thumbup:

28. bth7

Fellow [Any Field]
  29. Decicco

Resident [Any Field]
    DMU is a few blocks from my house and I am not applying.

30. bozz

lol

What about the:

I considered applying to allopathic schools, but . . . [post your reasons.]

option?

#28 bozz, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  31. LossForWords

LossForWords PGY-1

Resident [Any Field]
    Location, location, location.

The D.O. school that's even remotely close to a place I'd like to live is still way too far from any place I'd like to live.

32. Raryn

Raryn Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
    Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    wrong forum if you want that option. This is pre-allo, not pre-osteo.

33. justdoit31

Resident [Any Field]
    I decided not to go DO because I wanted to leave open international humanitarian work options and some countries won't recognize the DO degree

34. Bacchus

Attending Physician
    Usually if you're on relief missions the degree won't matter. You're volunteering your time, not getting compensated.

35. Druzie

Medical Student
    I originally planned to apply to mostly/only osteopathic schools. I'd met a DO on vacation in Canada, and he made it sound really cool and worthwhile. I even took his email address so I could talk to him about it more. But then when I started on this process, everyone close to me advised me to go allopathic. Like everyone says, it doesn't make a difference, and allopathic gave me more options, so... here I am.

36. RySerr21

Fellow [Any Field]
    who wouldnt want to live in souther california!!!!! (Western)

whats your point?

37. beachblonde

Medical Student
    I'm applying to both....but hey, with all those people going MD only, the more spots available for me over at the DO schools. I'll take it!

But really, I want to be a doctor much more than I want to be an MD. That's my main reasoning.

38. bth7

Fellow [Any Field]
    :thumbup:

39. NTF

NTF PGY-6
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    12 MD schools, 3 DO schools. All based on geography and where my numbers would be competitive.

40. pianola

pianola MS2

Medical Student
    Wow, I definitely didn't realize that DO options were so popular. I could have applied DO, I guess, but mostly it would have meant more paperwork. Likewise, I could have applied to Texas schools but that would also have been more paperwork. Actually, my best friend is only applying to naturopathic medical schools and he is absolutely in love with the school in Portland. So maybe I should have broadened my horizons, but I guess I'm just lucky it all worked out.

Well, I look forward to seeing my DO buddies in residency and of course here on SDN :thumbup:. Speaking of which, shouldn't we have a combined allopathic/osteopathic forum?

41. Bacchus

Attending Physician
    You're fine, don't worry about it. Just don't mention naturopathy around western medicine physicians. :p

42. Caesar

Caesar In Memory of Riley Jane
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Our resicency forums are combined, also Clinical rotations are as well.

:)

43. phospho

phospho SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    :laugh:

44. 175961

Pre-Medical
    I talked to this dick representative from an DO school that pretty much got pissed of at me because I told him I just wanted to become a doctor and it wasnt terribly important if DO or MD was behind my name. I wanted to punch the prick in the mouth as he was going off. that is all

45. pianola

pianola MS2

Medical Student
    Actually, I'm not gonna lie -- the naturopathy program my friend visited sounded pretty neat. I have never seen anyone as excited about their first choice as this guy. They do lots of Western medicine stuff, but it seems like they also study other therapies that promote wellness (like massages or acupuncture or whatever). The focus of naturopathy is not so much about curing diseases as it is about making sure people feel as "well" as they possibly can (for lack of a better explanation). So not necessarily curing people who have diseases, but preventing illness and maintaining good health in normal people. Most NDs act as primary care people anyway.

The way I think about it is that I definitely feel better after I have a massage. Maybe I wasn't "ill" to begin with, but I certainly feel just a little bit better afterwards. You know what I mean?

I might not trust an ND as my only source of treatment for a rare, genetic disorder, but I think there's probably a place in the healthcare community for the ND as well.

My $0.02.

46. medready

Medical Student
    hey cuadrado what was it exactly that the DO rep said that made you so angry? If you dont mind sharing that is.

47. bth7

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'm curious too.

48. GoSpursGo

GoSpursGo Allons-y!
    Administrator Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    I considered DO, because TMDSAS (the application service in TX) lets you apply to the DO school through the same service as the allopathic school. And I really have nothing against DO... I actually think that OMM has a lot of merit in treating patients. However, two things stopped me:

1) The fact of the matter is that, even if a DO school trains you just as well to become a doctor, residency programs don't yet see DO students as equally competitive with MD students. It winds up closing some doors to you down the road unless you just are at the absolute top of your class.

2) I could never get the stupid secondary application to work on the school's website.

49. RySerr21

Fellow [Any Field]
    The prejudice that you may find against DOs is not present throughout all MD residencies as you suggested. Its confined to the more competitive specialties (ortho, derm, rad, etc). If you are dead set on going to an MD residency in one of those specialites, then its something you should think about, but there are DO residencies as well.

50. GoSpursGo

GoSpursGo Allons-y!
    Administrator Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    Perhaps I've been misinformed... in any case, the MAIN reason is that the stupid secondary app didn't work for me :oops:

51. bth7

Fellow [Any Field]
    But it is present in some.

52. RySerr21

Fellow [Any Field]
    haha, yea. well lets just be glad that the secondary phase is in the past and will soon be a distant memory :)

Um, i know, i just said that. But if you dont want to go into a highly competitive MD residency (ie the ones ive already listed), then it doesnt matter.