The 2009 Allopathic & Osteopathic poll : Where are you applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where are you applying?

• I am applying to both allopathic and osteopathic schools.

Votes: 89 29.9%
  • I’m only applying to allopathic medical schools. I never considered osteopathic schools.

Votes: 161 54.0%
  • I considered applying to osteopathic schools, but . . . [post your reasons.]

Votes: 43 14.4%
  • Allopathic & osteopathic? What the heck are you talking about?

Votes: 5 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The prejudice that you may find against DOs is not present throughout all MD residencies as you suggested. Its confined to the more competitive specialties (ortho, derm, rad, etc). If you are dead set on going to an MD residency in one of those specialites, then its something you should think about, but there are DO residencies as well.

Also neuro, ENT, cardiology, etc. DO schools are aggressively expanding class sizes and new ones are opening all over the place (including for-profit schools). Meanwhile, the number of spots open for many residencies is staying fairly steady. This could mean higher difficulty for a DO hoping to match into even a moderately competitive residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Um, i know, i just said that. But if you dont want to go into a highly competitive MD residency (ie the ones ive already listed), then it doesnt matter.

Indeed you did. I only thought this fact was worth emphasizing. I think it gets downplayed a little too much. I'm sure others think it gets over-emphasized. Just my opinion. I'm a fourth year, staring down the barrel of residency apps, so . . . this particular fact is very much on my mind at the moment.

bth

Um, i know, i just said that. But if you dont want to go into a highly competitive MD residency (ie the ones ive already listed), then it doesnt matter.

To say "it doesn't matter" seems dismissive of what is a complex consideration. In my opinion, that's misleading.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to both. I just want to be a doctor. When I took the MCAT, I had a lot going on in my personal life so, my score was not that great. But all my GPAs are great and so are my ECs. I could have applied to some of the southern states which have lower MCAT cutoffs but I simply don't want to live in those states (Plus, most schools in TX don't like foreign UG so, I did not bother completing the TMDSAS). I also did not know about D.O path till August but still was able to complete AACOMAS just in time. I am also an applicant with foreign undergrad so, AACOMAS did a much better job (they actually verify international grades unlike AMCAS) Considering I am a non-trad, I don't care to wait a year and take the MCAT again. Not worth it for me. I am getting interviews from all DO schools so, I hope to go to a good one. As far as my MD apps go, 3 rejections out of 20 and no news from the others.

Each forum is already cluttered by all the secondary/interview threads. Do we really want to put them all in one forum?

That would be a cluttered mess haha. I was thinking a 'general pre-med' forum in addition to the ones in existence. That would actually make things more orgainzed than they are...:thumbup:

edit: plus i hate being separated from my MD brethren, with whom I will be training with/working alongside in the relatively near future

I don't know about combining pre-allo and pre-osteo... the two processes (at least in my opinion) are drastically differrent. Honestly, I'm not interested in information about pre-osteo, which is why I never go to that forum. It still confuses me when I see a school name that I don't recognize. It takes me a few minutes to realize that it's actually an osteopathic school.

I don't know about combining pre-allo and pre-osteo... the two processes (at least in my opinion) are drastically differrent. Honestly, I'm not interested in information about pre-osteo, which is why I never go to that forum. It still confuses me when I see a school name that I don't recognize. It takes me a few minutes to realize that it's actually an osteopathic school.

I agree that combining would be kinda pointless, but the processes really arent that different. Certainly not drastically so.

The application process was pretty much identical except it uses a different application service, but texas schools use a different application service too. Maybe there should be a pre-texanmed forum as well :p

The application process was pretty much identical except it uses a different application service, but texas schools use a different application service too. Maybe there should be a pre-texanmed forum as well :p

It would go straight to their heads. The republic of Texas thread is bad enough :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
It would go straight to their heads. The republic of Texas thread is bad enough :laugh:

The TMDSAS was actually easier to fill out than AMCAS... the only drawback is that the website looks like it was designed in the 1700's...:rolleyes:

I was going to apply to DO. I liked the tour of CCOM... thought it was a fantastic school. But I really have no interest in learning OMM. It looks like one of the things I would hate learning and the CCOM guy explained the whole theory behind it and I remember thinking to myself, wow what a bunch of BS. Reminded me too much of that fradulant chiropractor I saw in high school.

edit**: That's not to say I wouldn't go there anyway. THe doctor I shadow at school is a DO who went there, he hates OMM too but encourages me to think about it.

I was going to apply to DO. I liked the tour of CCOM... thought it was a fantastic school. But I really have no interest in learning OMM. It looks like one of the things I would hate learning and the CCOM guy explained the whole theory behind it and I remember thinking to myself, wow what a bunch of BS. Reminded me too much of that fradulant chiropractor I saw in high school.

edit**: That's not to say I wouldn't go there anyway. THe doctor I shadow at school is a DO who went there, he hates OMM too but encourages me to think about it.

Ill give you 100 e-dollars to go post that in a thread in the pre osteo forum. Just for my amusement :laugh:

I applied only to MD programs, but I did consider DO programs too.

My reason:
I believe that the DO path is more in line with my public health education, which I really like (I have an MPH). However, I want to do international medicine, working with CDC, WHO and Ministries of Health in other countries. Unfortunately, most are not as familiar with DOs. The same is true for PAs and NPs. They are widely known and respected in the U.S., but overseas the degree may not be well known.

I believe that if you want to do mostly clinical/hospital work, then there is no difference b/n a DO and MD; however, if you want to also work on policy, research, and international health, then there could be more hurdles to deal with b/c these degrees are less recognized outside of U.S. hospitals.

Anyone have a different opinion on this? :confused:

Ill give you 100 e-dollars to go post that in a thread in the pre osteo forum. Just for my amusement :laugh:

nah it ain't even like I think it doesn't work. I just don't think its for me. I know the Chicago Blackhawks have a bunch of DOs on their staff and they swear by it.

I applied only to MD programs, but I did consider DO programs too.

My reason:
I believe that the DO path is more in line with my public health education, which I really like (I have an MPH). However, I want to do international medicine, working with CDC, WHO and Ministries of Health in other countries. Unfortunately, most are not as familiar with DOs. The same is true for PAs and NPs. They are widely known and respected in the U.S., but overseas the degree may not be well known.

I believe that if you want to do mostly clinical/hospital work, then there is no difference b/n a DO and MD; however, if you want to also work on policy, research, and international health, then there could be more hurdles to deal with b/c these degrees are less recognized outside of U.S. hospitals.

Anyone have a different opinion on this? :confused:

I think you made a wise choice. I encourage my friends interested in international medicine to consider the same things.

I think you made a wise choice.
I encourage my friends interested in international medicine to consider the same things.

Yes, here's a good map of where the DO degree has international recognition.

DOworld.PNG

Light and dark green means recognition. Red means its refused. Grey means
no info was available, or no one has really tired to get an "official license" there.
Keep in mind, most of the developing world doesn't ask to see an American doctors credentials.
There may be so few doctors and so little money to pay them, they just need medicine.
They aren't going to ask to see your degree.
Also, bear in mind that in many of these same countries, you don't need a script from
a doctor to get a medicine, you just need the money to pay for it.

The problem is not one of MD v DO. The problem is one of $ v No $.

bth

Oh no, ill never be able to practice in france,zimbabwe, or pakistan! What a horrible travesty. I should have never went to an osteopathic school.

Also, where does the myth that you cant do medical humanitarian work abroad if you are a DO come from? What third world country is going to refuse doctors who want to provide free medical care? In my personal experience, starving haitian children dont really care if you are a DO or an MD.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most people that do international health initiatives usually go through an agency. There aren't too many docs that go to a foreign country, rent office space, and start practicing medicine. If thats the case, these volunteer agencies and such want you to have a clinical capacity. They're not looking for a certain degree.

bacchus i don't know enough to say that you are wrong. but many of the schools i applied to had like international health offices that helped place students in programs to complete 1 or 2 electives abroad.