The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so basically hispanic gets very little advantage, asians/white people have it the hardest, and if you're black you just have to be breathing during the mcat to reach matriculation status...oh ok.

Hey, I got a 21 on my diagnostic. It's hard to get a 22, ok?

lmfao cole i should slap you
:laugh:
:D

This guy started some racist crap on another thread so I recommend you all just ignore him...he seems to get a rise out of throwing his ignorance around...
Pretty sure I started it. Give credit where credit is due, please.

PS. This is the pre-med forum. Go back to the healthstudent area.

These data suggest that they do care about URM status especially AA but I don't wanna take any chances.

AACOM Data on Averages for Matriculation by Race 2011

Data posted as cGPA | sGPA | MCAT.
Click on this text for the source document.

White: 3.50 | 3.38 | 26.52

Asian: 3.45 | 3.33 | 27.11

Hispanic/Latino: 3.45 | 3.33 | 25.30

Multiple Races (No Hispanic in the calculation): 3.44 | 3.28 | 26.37

Black/African-American: 3.32 | 3.14 | 22.31

Foreign: 3.46 | 3.41 | 28.35

Native American: 3.52 | 3.37 | 25.33

So my cGPA is ~4 LizzyM points low, sGPA is ~2 LizzyM points low, and MCAT is 8 LizzyM points high. Yay Native Americans!

Members don't see this ad.

I just postponed my July 6th mcat test to September. My last practice test (AAMC 9) was 24 (10PS, 6VR, 8BS) and I dont think I can improve that VR score to an 8+ in two weeks. I figure out that it would be better to get an MCAT score of 27+ in September than a 23-24 in July. I think that my application might look stronger with a 27+ instead of a 23-24 even late in the cycle since my GPAs are not that good (3.15cGPA, 3.28sGPA). I am an URM. Looking at the stats for URM in the first page of this thread, I see that even with a 24 mcat, I would be OK but I dont wanna take any chances. Was that a smart move to postpone? What do you think?

What have your VR scores been?

Members don't see this ad :)
calm down he just has a sense of humor (which most of you seem to lack), it's a forum guys, stop taking things too personal. laugh once in a while, applications have you all uptight :p <3
That is not a sense of humor when someone is making racially insensitive remarks here.

That is not a sense of humor when someone is making racially insensitive remarks here.

cool your temp 101, he is saying that getting a 22 on the mcat can be done with little to no prep.. not sure how that's insensitive. The average is a 22, that's a fact.

I agree, it's very racially insensitive that black people matriculate with a 22 and white people need around a 27- that's quite a large gap. Getting a 22 is not super challenging, so my statement is not a "racially insensitive statement" it's common sense based on the facts presented. The stats say "hey you did bad on the mcat- but it doesn't matter cause you're black! COME ON IN!". That's the sad truth. And THAT is what racism is, being held to lower expectations because of your race. The real problem minorities face is the overabundance of butt kissing and federal aide, too much of that can make someone want to work a little less harder. What's the point in studying hard for the mcat if you know you just need around a 22 to get in? Why try at all? Why not treat it like a joke? Because that's basically what these stats are telling you. You can pretend it's a joke test and it doesn't matter. This right here is real racism. Holding blacks to lower standards than whites is like calling them inferior; that's where I would be insulted if I was black, personally. But hey, that's just me.

Statistics don't lie.

3.66/3.35 22N.......retaking the MCAT 8/4

Applied last year with 3.7/3.4 22N (8PS 8V 6BS)...received one interview

That's actually really impressive you got an interview with a 22, not to sound like a douche or anything. You're almost there man, you just need around a 25 and ii'll bet you'll land a lot more interviews.

That's actually really impressive you got an interview with a 22, not to sound like a douche or anything. You're almost there man, you just need around a 25 and ii'll bet you'll land a lot more interviews.

Will it hurt that I won't be complete till September 5th when my MCAT score comes back.
My goal is to get my primary in this weekend and hope to complete my secondaries before September 5th. I looked back and last year my secondaries were not in until October!

apparently after sep 1st is considered late so I guess it will hurt. I'm not sure how much it will hurt though.

I don't understand how what he said was racially insensitive. Assuming his data is accurate and the AA MCAT average is ~22, then what he said was pretty spot on. People get diagnostic scores close to or higher than 22. It's a low score by any measure and the fact that it is the AA matriculant average is pathetic. Same would be true for any ethnicity. People are just more sensitive to topics regarding AAs.

cool your temp 101, he is saying that getting a 22 on the mcat can be done with little to no prep.. not sure how that's insensitive. The average is a 22, that's a fact.

The average is a 25.1 :).

Your GPA is great for DO. Get a few more points on the MCAT and you'll be golden.

Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA 3.34
sGPA 3.24
MCAT 25 (6P, 9V, 10B)

Submitted AACOMAS 6/1

Best of luck to all!:xf:

MedPr I meant for AA lol i wish it was 22 for matriculant lol

I agree, it's very racially insensitive that black people matriculate with a 22 and white people need around a 27- that's quite a large gap. Getting a 22 is not super challenging, so my statement is not a "racially insensitive statement" it's common sense based on the facts presented. The stats say "hey you did bad on the mcat- but it doesn't matter cause you're black! COME ON IN!". That's the sad truth. And THAT is what racism is, being held to lower expectations because of your race. The real problem minorities face is the overabundance of butt kissing and federal aide, too much of that can make someone want to work a little less harder. What's the point in studying hard for the mcat if you know you just need around a 22 to get in? Why try at all? Why not treat it like a joke? Because that's basically what these stats are telling you. You can pretend it's a joke test and it doesn't matter. This right here is real racism. Holding blacks to lower standards than whites is like calling them inferior; that's where I would be insulted if I was black, personally. But hey, that's just me.

Statistics don't lie.
From the the data it seems like that they hold Caucasians to lower standards than Asians. What is your point then? I know they should do that stuff base only on socio-economic factors not race but again that the way they wanna do it. Who am I to dictate a bunch of bureaucrates how they should admit applicants to DO schools.

Last edited:
From the the data it seems like that they hold Caucasians to lower standards than Asians. What is your point then? I know they should do that stuff base only on socio-economic factors not race but again that the way they wanna do it. Who am I to dictate a bunch of bureaucrates how they should admit applicants to DO schools.

BARELY a lower standard than asians, not exactly a huge difference at all. The gpa makes up for the mcat in the case of stats for white vs. asian. But there is a HUGE gap for white vs black and asian vs black stats. That's a bigggg difference. I feel like the reason URMs have lower admission stats is not because they're too stupid to do well, but rather many are just not motivated to do well. If something is handed to you than why work hard to get it? That's the problem with this status. If you know you have URM status to fall back on, it becomes much easier to slack off knowing theres a safety net there to catch you. I'll bet if we motivated URMs by taking away urm status, we would see blacks with a higher average mcat.

Statistics don't lie.

The notion is simple. A White or Asian family statistically has enough money to subsidize their children so they don't need to work and can spend all of their time in class. A White or Asian family also statistically has enough money to afford their children the chance to go to expensive mcat prep classes. If I had to work, couldn't afford to buy mcat prep courses/ books, I don't think I'd be anywhere near being competitive for even the low tier of DO schools.
The reality is that Asian and White families are nearly 10-22 times as wealthy as African American families. Simply put there is a level of privilege that has been granted by history to Asian-Americans and White-Americans, that has not been extended to African-Americans. As such you create a disparity in scoring.
Furthermore, as I've mentioned before, people are more comfortable with someone from their community. For example, when I went in for a sonogram to search for potential cancers the fact that my radiologist was from my community and could speak my language ( And I am a completely assimilated American) really helped calm me down and make me at ease. The same can be imagined when an African-American person goes to see a doctor who is also an African American.

BARELY a lower standard than asians, not exactly a huge difference at all. The gpa makes up for the mcat in the case of stats for white vs. asian. But there is a HUGE gap for white vs black and asian vs black stats. That's a bigggg difference. I feel like the reason URMs have lower admission stats is not because they're too stupid to do well, but rather many are just not motivated to do well. If something is handed to you than why work hard to get it? That's the problem with this status. If you know you have URM status to fall back on, it becomes much easier to slack off knowing theres a safety net there to catch you. I'll bet if we motivated URMs by taking away urm status, we would see blacks with a higher average mcat.

Please read my post. Taking away the URM status would be detrimental because a lot of African American's applying do not possess the same benefits as most other ethnic groups ( Asian-American & White Americans) do statistically.
Many people tend to use the Basketball example, but the reality is that it is a flawed point. Basketball can be practiced with no start up money ( Alright minimal start up money). Premed however is not as easy, it requires a high amount of attention, money, and positive reinforcement to accomplish. It also requires a decent amount of connections as well.
In the end African Americans are rejected from MD schools at a high amount than both White or Asian Americans ( 60% v.s 50-56%)

MedPr I meant for AA lol i wish it was 22 for matriculant lol

Asians are held to the highest standard, whites next, and all the way down to blacks. It's partly because asians (probably) apply with the highest stats on average, so their matriculant pool is statistically going to be better. Blacks apply with lower average stats, so if they get in, their matriculant pool is going to be weak compared to asians. So the problem is 2 fold. Black applicants have, on average, terrible stats. And, ADCOMs perpetuate it by letting them matriculate to increase the numbers of blacks in medical school. 3.7/33 black applicants exist. If the quantity of diverse students didn't overshadow the quality of diverse students, the discrepancy between stats wouldn't be so great. Let's just say there are 100 asian applicants with a 4.0/40 every year, and 10 black applicants with the same stats. 95/100 of those asians will get in, and all 10 of those blacks will get in. Problem is, 10 blacks isn't enough matriculants for the entire country, so schools start looking at the less competitive ones. 95 asians isn't enough either, but there are thousands of 3.5/30 asians so the ones with 3.3/22 don't even get a look.Perhaps my notion of the existence of a quota is wrong (and maybe even racist), but I'm sure one exists. I doubt ADCOMs happily accept anyone with a 3.3/22.

Please read my post. Taking away the URM status would be detrimental because a lot of African American's applying do not possess the same benefits as most other ethnic groups ( Asian-American & White Americans) do statistically.
Many people tend to use the Basketball example, but the reality is that it is a flawed point. Basketball can be practiced with no start up money ( Alright minimal start up money). Premed however is not as easy, it requires a high amount of attention, money, and positive reinforcement to accomplish. It also requires a decent amount of connections as well.
In the end African Americans are rejected from MD schools at a high amount than both White or Asian Americans ( 60% v.s 50-56%)

For the most part I'm on board with what you've been saying, but I disagree that a student needs money to study hard. Also, shouldn't A's be enough positive reinforcement? I have absolutely 0 connections and I don't feel that I deserve the benefit of being held to a lower academic standard because of those types of things. However, I certainly am grateful for it, since it will help me.

Idk how many college basketball/NBA fans are in here, but check this out. It's a little old, but still cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DnKOc6FISU

College basketball (now in the NBA) star dressed as an oldman. UD on the outside, badass on the inside!

The notion is simple. A White or Asian family statistically has enough money to subsidize their children so they don't need to work and can spend all of their time in class. A White or Asian family also statistically has enough money to afford their children the chance to go to expensive mcat prep classes. If I had to work, couldn't afford to buy mcat prep courses/ books, I don't think I'd be anywhere near being competitive for even the low tier of DO schools.
The reality is that Asian and White families are nearly 10-22 times as wealthy as African American families. Simply put there is a level of privilege that has been granted by history to Asian-Americans and White-Americans, that has not been extended to African-Americans. As such you create a disparity in scoring.
Furthermore, as I've mentioned before, people are more comfortable with someone from their community. For example, when I went in for a sonogram to search for potential cancers the fact that my radiologist was from my community and could speak my language ( And I am a completely assimilated American) really helped calm me down and make me at ease. The same can be imagined when an African-American person goes to see a doctor who is also an African American.

What about white applicants who grew up in poverty as well? Where's their URM advantage? I'll just reiterate what Dr. MLK said, "...will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

But I do agree with you that AA are at a major disadvantage from their statistically lower socioeconomic backgrounds.

Asians are held to the highest standard, whites next, and all the way down to blacks. It's partly because asians (probably) apply with the highest stats on average, so their matriculant pool is statistically going to be better. Blacks apply with lower average stats, so if they get in, their matriculant pool is going to be weak compared to asians. So the problem is 2 fold. Black applicants have, on average, terrible stats. And, ADCOMs perpetuate it by letting them matriculate to increase the numbers of blacks in medical school. 3.7/33 black applicants exist. If the quantity of diverse students didn't overshadow the quality of diverse students, the discrepancy between stats wouldn't be so great. Let's just say there are 100 asian applicants with a 4.0/40 every year, and 10 black applicants with the same stats. 95/100 of those asians will get in, and all 10 of those blacks will get in. Problem is, 10 blacks isn't enough matriculants for the entire country, so schools start looking at the less competitive ones. 95 asians isn't enough either, but there are thousands of 3.5/30 asians so the ones with 3.3/22 don't even get a look.Perhaps my notion of the existence of a quota is wrong (and maybe even racist), but I'm sure one exists. I doubt ADCOMs happily accept anyone with a 3.3/22.

For the most part I'm on board with what you've been saying, but I disagree that a student needs money to study hard. Also, shouldn't A's be enough positive reinforcement? I have absolutely 0 connections and I don't feel that I deserve the benefit of being held to a lower academic standard because of those types of things. However, I certainly am grateful for it, since it will help me.

College costs money, students work and this takes away energy and time that could have been used to study. Furthermore not many people want to take a cash advance for a Kaplan course or mcat review material so they might get crappy books if any at all.
Furthermore there are psychological barriers. For example some students feel bad about exceeding their parents education level. Some families actually will actively try to make the kid not pursue it. Overall there is likely less support for education.
Generally it's all the privilege thing. No one likes to hear that just because they are white their chances of employment are 1.5-2.5 times higher than an African American. It's subtle.

What about white applicants who grew up in poverty as well? Where's their URM advantage? I'll just reiterate what MLK said, "Judge a person not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

But I do agree with you that AA are at a major disadvantage from their statistically lower socioeconomic backgrounds.

There are benefits for that as well. Growing up in an underprivileged area and being disadvantaged does add to your application. However remember for the sake of statistics most White and Asian applicants are almost all in the upper middle class to lower wealth and possess a relative who is a doctor nearly 50% of the time.

College costs money, students work and this takes away energy and time that could have been used to study. Furthermore not many people want to take a cash advance for a Kaplan course or mcat review material so they might get crappy books if any at all.
Furthermore there are psychological barriers. For example some students feel bad about exceeding their parents education level. Some families actually will actively try to make the kid not pursue it. Overall there is likely less support for education.
Generally it's all the privilege thing. No one likes to hear that just because they are white their chances of employment are 1.5-2.5 times higher than an African American. It's subtle.

It's completely possible to pay for college with loans (like med school), but I guess the other stuff is true.

What about white applicants who grew up in poverty as well? Where's their URM advantage? I'll just reiterate what Dr. MLK said, "...will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Mlk spoke of an ideal. In today's world your birth status ( color and social class) is the most important factor in deciding your entire life, who you will meet, what you will believe, and what you will eat.

It's completely possible to pay for college with loans (like med school), but I guess the other stuff is true.

Well generally loans need to be consigned by a dependent, not to mention some parents use their children's credit score to get cash advances and wreak their chances of getting loans. Generally the system is set up pretty nicely that people don't leave their economic and social classes without a huge amount of luck.

Your first point is implied though. Not every white or asian family has money, especially during this era where the economy is complete crap. More and more white/asian families are becoming unfortunate. I worked 30 hours a week while going to school, and I had a friend that worked 40-50 hours a week. Statistics aren't reliable in this case because let's say for example "40% of white college students don't have to work while going to school" (made up stat). Well in that case, 60% of white american students DO have to work. So just because 40% don't have to work and have it easy, is it ok for us to speak in generalities and exclude the 60% from any special privilege? See, the problem is this whole thing is put into terms of race. Not every black person is the same. Not every white person is the same. Stats don't account for individuals. We can't screw over one individual because other individuals have it easy. I think ten times wealthy seems wayyyy high btw, that would imply that black people make 10 grand a year, and white people make 100, 000, lol. My family is pretty average. We prob make 70 grand a year. So by 10 times, that would be like saying the average black family makes 7 grand a year which theres no way, lol. Unless they work a couple days a week.

I've never had any privilege. I really don't care what anyone says about that. Being white has not gotten me any bonuses in life. In fact, it's become a hindrance because i'm measured against other whites with good gpas/mcat. White privilege is a myth perpetuated by people who are becoming rich off the idea. I can name a few names...

As for your last point, that's understandable. But what if I was at a hospital and said I felt more comfortable around a white doctor I could relate to? You know how many people would call me a racist? But, if a black person requests a black doctor then it's not racist. It makes no sense to me. I have no problem with a black person wanting a black doctor, it's called racial preference. But if a black person can have a black doctor without it becoming a issue of race, than a white patient should be able to ask for a white doctor without it becoming an issue of race.

A few years ago there was an incident where a white male was reading a book in the school library called "The defeat of the KKK". A black individual filed a harassment claim and that student was dismissed from the school and had to fight his way back in after protesting the dismissal. See my point? Racism is often overblown. Not everything is racially motivated. If a white guy kills a black guy, maybe it's not about race. Maybe that guy is just seriously messed up in the head and wanted to kill someone. We can't label everything as racist which is what this country is turning into. Soon we're all going to be divided and it will turn into "whites vs blacks".

Btw, I hate how the term african american is used so loosely. I believe there's people that think they're african american and real african americans. Not an insult directed at you since I dont know you're heritage but there are people that label themselves as african american that probably could not point to africa on a map. Being 1/232434324 african american does not count in my book. Besides the people that were actually born in africa and moved to america later on, those are the ones that had it hard.

Your first point is implied though. Not every white or asian family has money, especially during this era where the economy is complete crap. More and more white/asian families are becoming unfortunate. I worked 30 hours a week while going to school, and I had a friend that worked 40-50 hours a week. Statistics aren't reliable because let's say for example "40% of white college students don't have to work while going to school" (made up stat). Well in that case, 60% of white american students DO have to work. So just because 40% don't have to work and have it easy, is it ok for us to speak in generalities and exclude the 60% from any special privilege? See, the problem is this whole thing is put into terms of race. Not every black person is the same. Not every white person is the same. Stats don't account for individuals. We can't screw over one individual because other individuals have it easy. I think ten times wealthy seems wayyyy high btw, that would imply that black people make 10 grand a year, and white people make 100, 000, lol. My family is pretty average. We prob make 70 grand a year. So by 10 times, that would be like saying the average black family makes 7 grand a year which theres no way, lol. Unless they work a couple days a week.

I'm not implying anything, the majority of matriculats to medical school are from upper middle class families who have money. Not everyone is the same but it's too bothersome to individualize people based on their differences than their similarities.

I've never had any privilege. I really don't care what anyone says about that. Being white has not gotten me any bonuses in life. In fact, it's become a hindrance because i'm measured against other whites with good gpas/mcat. White privilege is a myth perpetuated by people who are becoming rich off the idea. I can name a few names...

Well, that's fine. Anecdotes and outliers exist. White privilege does exist, just like many other privilege's exist such as being born in the Western world as opposed to the 3rd world, being born heterosexual, etc. Point being is that in controlled studies an African American of equal qualification will be higher 2-3x less than his White competitor. Likewise your chances of reciving a loan from a bank as an African American are less likely than a White-American.

As for your last point, that's understandable. But what if I was at a hospital and said I felt more comfortable around a white doctor I could relate to? You know how many people would call me a racist? But, if a black person requests a black doctor then it's not racist. It makes no sense to me. I have no problem with a black person wanting a black doctor, it's called racial preference. But if a black person can have a black doctor without it becoming a issue of race, than a white patient should be able to ask for a white doctor without it becoming an issue of race.

A hospital setting is not something you have control over. Your private physician you do.

A few years ago there was an incident where a white male was reading a book in the school library called "The defeat of the KKK". A black individual filed a harassment claim and that student was dismissed from the school and had to fight his way back in after protesting the dismissal. See my point? Racism is often overblown. Not everything is racially motivated. If a white guy kills a black guy, maybe it's not about race. Maybe that guy is just seriously messed up in the head and wanted to kill someone. We can't label everything as racist which is what this country is turning into. Soon we're all going to be divided and it will turn into "whites vs blacks".

Well, somethings are stupid such as that. Others are simply statistical occurences, there is a lot of disharmony between the White-American and African-American communities, both perpetuate crimes against each other and most can be stated to be somewhat motivated by unconscious prejudices as studies show.

Btw, I hate how the term african american is used so loosely. I believe there's people that think they're african american and real african americans.

IDGI :confused:

c'mon people, the URM status is not such a good thing for the class of students that come out. Although I am completely in favor of giving some favor to people on their poverty levels, and whether they worked in college or not. Giving URM an outright advantage doesnt make sense at all. There might be some African Americans that are quite affluent, and there might be some whites and asians that are not so. We should remember that in the era that we live in, most people have an equal chance to make it big, or have an equal chance to fall into poverty.

Some posts have been written on how asians have more money and so can buy good books, and prep courses. Let me give you my example. Being an asian, I worked throughout college to pay for out of state tuition - ~14000 dollars, managed to pay for my own Princeton Review Prep course ~2000 dollars, and applied unsuccesfully in 2010 (expenditure of around ~3000). Now I am not saying that I did this all by myself, I took out student loans, worked 25-30 hours ( when I was only allowed 20), and all the while being a full time student (actually out of the eight semesters, there were 4-5 semester in which I took around 16-18 hrs).
Now this affected my GPA a lot. Is it fair that a person like me, or another white person that worked just as hard if not more, or an AA who also worked as hard as me or more, is overlooked by ADCOMS for a person that is AA but is privileged. It just doesnt make sense.

Mua, you speak very naively. Like I said, not every single person will fit the mean, however the average is conservative and most applicants are very similar in economic status and usually did not work.

Mua, you speak very naively. Like I said, not every single person will fit the mean, however the average is conservative and most applicants are very similar in economic status and usually did not work.

I know I was being naive, and i Dont really think that URM would get replaced with economic conditions anytime in the future.

I also agree that African Americans have a much harder situation than both whites and asians, but there are a few odd cases, and I think that needs to be accommodated. Dont you think so?

Sure, there should be a lot more factors being considered when an applicant is being processed. However in the end it is all correlated with how a person is going to do on their boards and in medical school.

3.28 cgpa, 3.42 sgpa, 29Q

The cumulative is low but hopefully my sgpa, and decent MCAT combined with an upward trend are enough to make up for it.

3.28 cgpa, 3.42 sgpa, 29Q

The cumulative is low but hopefully my sgpa, and decent MCAT combined with an upward trend are enough to make up for it.

Depends where you apply but I wouldn't consider you an underdog to the mid-tier DO schools.

Depends where you apply but I wouldn't consider you an underdog to the mid-tier DO schools.

My list is:A.T. Still Kirskville
A.T. Still SOMA
AZCOM
KCUMB
PNWU
Western
Touro Nevada
WVSOM
Michigan State
PCOM

Which would you consider mid tier? I know I'm an underdog for sure at AZCOM, Western, Michigan State, and KCUMB.

My list is:A.T. Still Kirskville
A.T. Still SOMA
AZCOM
KCUMB
PNWU
Western
Touro Nevada
WVSOM
Michigan State
PCOM

Which would you consider mid tier? I know I'm an underdog for sure at AZCOM, Western, Michigan State, and KCUMB.

Those four schools are a little bit ahead of your GPA, but not much more than .3 ahead. You're about 1-2 points ahead of their MCAT averages. You're a little behind them but not really an underdog.

As for mid-tier well there isn't really "tiers" per se, but the average DO schools have 3.5/26 averages which you certainly wouldn't be an underdog.

3.18 sGPA, 3.13 cGPA 23 MCAT (retake pending - 27-30 on practices)

I'd just like to say, looking at the success rates of past underdogs applying early has given me a lot of hope and positivity this application cycle. Thank you past underdogs, and to currents, let's be a source of inspiration for future aspiring DO's! Let's stay focused and positive!

Ok guys STRICTLY in terms of the "upper tier DO" schools like midwestern, pcom, dmu etc.....would you consider me a UD with a cgpa 3.7 sgpa 3.96 mcat 26R? Im adding in some schools like ATSU SOMA and LMU but want to have as good a chance as possible. Anywhere else you would apply in my shoes?

Ok guys STRICTLY in terms of the "upper tier DO" schools like midwestern, pcom, dmu etc.....would you consider me a UD with a cgpa 3.7 sgpa 3.96 mcat 26R? Im adding in some schools like ATSU SOMA and LMU but want to have as good a chance as possible. Anywhere else you would apply in my shoes?
I'm not too sure you're an underdog! But I'd add KCUMB and such schools, I think you would have a pretty good chance most schools though. Congrats on that!

" In fact, it's become a hindrance because i'm measured against other whites with good gpas/mcat. "

--cole

This statement is a joke. Almost written perfectly for standup comedy.

this thread should be encouraging and a support group the way previous UD threads have been. Sadly, its just going downhill.If there needs to be an argument on other topics, URM or whatever, start a new thread. Hopefully, once interviews and hopefully acceptances come by, things can get more positive here.

No.

These data suggest that they do care about URM status especially AA but I don't wanna take any chances.

AACOM Data on Averages for Matriculation by Race 2011

Data posted as cGPA | sGPA | MCAT.
Click on this text for the source document.

White: 3.50 | 3.38 | 26.52

Asian: 3.45 | 3.33 | 27.11

Hispanic/Latino: 3.45 | 3.33 | 25.30

Multiple Races (No Hispanic in the calculation): 3.44 | 3.28 | 26.37

Black/African-American: 3.32 | 3.14 | 22.31

Foreign: 3.46 | 3.41 | 28.35

Native American: 3.52 | 3.37 | 25.33

Supporting all Underdogs! You guys can do it!! Go get some interviews! :D:D:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

You're an above average candidate and have a decent enough shot at the top tier.

3.75 sciGPA, 3.82 cGPA, but 26M (10 ps/6vr/10)....and I just retook on June 21 and have strong a feeling i went down to 5-7 in PS, but VR and BS felt good. If my second PS score is really really low, how screwed am I?