The 4/18/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pingouin

just chillin'
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome, all April 18, 2008, MCATers!!!!

This is your official place to stress, vent, hang out, party, cry, yell, or whatever else you need to do in the week before and just after your MCAT.

As a reminder, when your test is done, you are welcome to come here and discuss your experience with it. Discussing general passage topics is OK- ie, "I had PS passages on circuits, thermodynamics, and optics." However, you are NOT allowed post specific questions, passage information, or answer choices from your test. Any posts which contain specific content from the test will be deleted, and a 1-week post hold will be placed on your account. Look here for more information on this.

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: to each and every one of you!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you guys, I wouldn't visit SDN until you get your scores. There will be so many people on here talking about how bad they think they did that it will put you in a bad mood for a month. Relax and enjoy a month of not studying.

I don't quite remember a magnetic field passage.

Are you referring to the passage with the resistor-capacitor circuit, which was kind of related to magnetism?

Members don't see this ad :)
ALRIGHT,

PS: thought mine was rather tough. I had a few probs with the mag. motor. Overall pretty heavy in electrostatics

VR: Who knows. I felt like it went alright, but I can never ever ever guess my verbal score. I'll go crazy trying.

WS: pretty easy prompts. I didn't really prepare for this section but I felt like I was writing some good stuff haha

BS: Harder than most of the AAMCs i've had. One with diabetes/genes/proteins in particular.

good luck everybody!!

well, two passages in PS were killer. the angular momentum and the rocket. I had no idea wtf those passages were talking about. VR was manageable but hard. did well on BS but it was 99 percent genetics. I did not know I had to be a rocket scientist and a geneticist before I got to medschool.

PS: The rocket passage was really difficult... I was pretty much stuck guessing between 2 possible answers for all those questions! :( The motor/magnetism/circular motion passage was difficult too. Other than that, the PS section was straightforward (the chemistry portion).

VR: This section had mostly really easy passages, but then there were 2 that were pretty difficult... so it was the two extremes. Hopefully I did well enough on the easy passages to compensate.

BS: It was definitely harder than the AAMC practice tests, but that's because it has a lot of genetics/evolution and those are my biggest weaknesses. I'm great with organ systems, especially the endocrine system, so I was hoping there would be some hormone questions.

Now it's all a matter of waiting for one very long month to pass by......

Hope everyone gets the scores they were hoping for!

PS: harder than the AAMCs I've taken but I thought I did OK. I've never dropped below a 12 in PS on the sixteen FLs I've taken so I'm thinking a 12.

VR: not harder than the hardest AAMCs I've taken, but I can never guess my VR score so I'm thinking a 10.

BS: hard stuff. lots of genetics/evolution, my mortal enemy. Never dropped below an 11 so I'm thinking 11.

Hoping for: 36 = 13PS, 11VR, 12BS

just got home and I feel really good about the test altogether.

I had plenty of time in PS/BS to go over and review and those went over really well. VR is always my weak point, but I felt good today- I think I should have hit a 10.

it looks like most people thought the sciences were not tooo bad overall, so a good sign!
good job everyone!

why can't you mention specific test material?

You signed one of these non-disclosure agreements when you took the test... basically you agreed not to talk about specific test questions with other people. So, we're telling you not to mention specific test questions on this board for your own good.

I hate the feeling that I got reamed. I've never had issues with time....until today. The PS I completely ran out of time to the point that the last page was just me half reading and guessing. I thought all but two passages for the verbal were pretty easy. The bio I ran out of time and regretted not having organic lab since some of that stuff was heavy in that area. I really don't feel that great about this test. I've never ran out of time and the bs and ps both were rushed endings. I know it is common for everyone to go "Oh I tanked" but I tend to be a pretty good judge and I feel like I'll be fortunate to get a 30 and probably have about a 28.

Members don't see this ad :)
dude, wtf was the PS? Dang man, I score like a 12 on the practices, but this one was butt bad. The verbal was alright, but I can never fully predict it, but the bio was hard as hell. I dunno man. But im taking some time off. Usually I just browse this site, but this time I wanted to post :confused:

the ps passages I had trouble with are the same two everyone else did... which is good, maybe a couple of those are the "test" questions :)

genetics was awesome for me. but I'm two weeks away from finishing the class.

I agree, I wouldn't say that this test was easy. I usually got between a 10 and 12 on PS of the 20 practice tests that I took, but feeling like I guessed almost completely on one PS passage and on the majority of questions of another was a disappointment, to say the least. While I was scoring in the 34-37 range on practice tests, I'm hoping for a 32 or 33 on this exam.

I am finishing genetics too but I got bogged down with other stuff and freaked out I think. Its odd how I can have a 90%+ in the class and screw up basic genetics questions. :p

wait a second.... are you all implying that hypothetically speaking if the majority of people don't do well in a specific section e.g BS etc... they curve the tert????:confused:

^ I think that's how it would work, but I wouldn't expect MAJOR curves (if that's what you're hoping for)...

Thought the liberalism passage was okay, kind of tricky - I was reconsidering my answer to the last question as I ran out of time. Still unsure. :p

That passage had some errors in it with regards to the German politics. Kind of bothered me!

I really don't think the verbal was that bad. If I had another 15 minutes I could probably have gotten everything no sweat. The constraints of time made it hard for me. Some of those passages were just kind of long.

Not that I am asking anyone to divulge on the contents of the exam, but out of curiosity when some of you mentioned that the Bio section contained lot of genetics, exactly what types of genetics are we talking about; as in, Bacterial, Human, etc.? I have seen many of the bacterial genetics passages where they want you to see which bacteria survives on what environmental conditions. Are we talking about such contents or something in depth that deals with bigger aspects of the subject, such as the Human Genome Project? Thanks and good luck to those who just took the exam. I am sure you did better than you think.:)

I agree, I wouldn't say that this test was easy. I usually got between a 10 and 12 on PS of the 20 practice tests that I took, but feeling like I guessed almost completely on one PS passage and on the majority of questions of another was a disappointment, to say the least. While I was scoring in the 34-37 range on practice tests, I'm hoping for a 32 or 33 on this exam.

I just spent the past few hours since the exam sulking over this forum.. and now I've joined! :) This is totally what happened to me today as well..I was seriously freaking out, which did not help me during my verbal. There's no reason I should be getting 35's on my practices ultimately to end up really considering voiding at the end.

And I'm reading a lot about "experimental" passages (I suppose as was present during the SAT); when did people ever decide this existed?? I had no idea.. so, there's on in each section? GEEZ I hope those crazy ones I had no idea what was going on during are taken out of the picture..

Ps: circular motion passage was insane...who's the jerk who came up with that stuff?

Verb: I think I did well (translation: I panicked slightly less than usual). :D

Bio: looove genetics and evolution, hate orgo reactions...this test was built for me guys! :D:D (Watch me get an 8 anyways.)

I had a horrible timing problem with the verbal. By the time, I got to the last passage (the one on air pollution), I realized I had no time left. I barely read the questions before picking an answer. :( When I practiced verbal before, I always had time left. I found this most discouraging since verbal was where I do best.

Besides verbal, I think I did fine on the P.S. I only had a one or two 'wtf' moments. Hopefully, I was lucky.

I do know when I finished B.S. I had twenty minutes left, but I was so tired I barely could bring myself to review my answers. I kick myself for not utilizing the breaks. I was dead by time I got to B.S. This concerns me because I usually catch my mistakes during my quick review.

I didn't feel too bad.

I got there at 7:00 (first one there, I highly reccomend it), had some witty banter with the testing center lady (who was an absolute sweetheart because she saw that I was about to go into cardiac arrest and really calmed me down), and started all by myself at 7:30.

I took every break, and was not disturbed by annoying typing during verbal (infact, other people were disturbed by my typing and I may have lowered a few marks..yay!). I also spent each and every break praying like my life depended on it after washing my face with cold water. This ritual helped to renew my energy for each section so that I attacked it liked a crazy person about to start battle hearing the word CHARGE! (I swear, if you'd seen my expression, all that would be missing is the war paint and spear)

Guys, I feel good about this one.:thumbup:

Other than magnetic field and rocket passage, did they have any passages on physics1 stuff like linear motion momentum friction etc.

I guess I didn't take my break because I felt that I would loss my momentum if I got up. The minute I started the test, I wanted to be done. Honestly, I hope I did ok. Because the idea of studying for a re-take is...I'm not even going there.

Stop freaking out guys, or the next month is going to be hell.

I think it's silly to think of the curve because it doesn't matter too much how you think you did or how the general population of SDN did, because this is a very small percentage of the people taking this test. Not to mention the different test forms. I think the curve will likely be very similar to that of an AAMC, and if it deviates it will deviate only slightly. I think barring some really abnormal occurrence it's likely that everyone scored at or very near their practice score, and the only thing you guys can do is wait until you know for sure. Most people on this board are type A personalities, so become a type B for a while...go grab a beer and do something completely unproductive because most of you all have earned it. Again, hope the test went well for everyone.

it really wasnt that bad, I kindof liked the verbal passages this time, but again, the verbal for me is hit or miss

This liberalism thing is getting me worked up =P

I had only 5 mins left and I can only remember 1 of my answers, which I cannot even disclose.

I felt pretty good with the other ones, but I know for sure that I missed one on the Galileo passage gahhh...

On the PS, thankfully, I took a physics course that covered rockets. If I never knew how rockets operated, I would have been lost for sure :\

This liberalism thing is getting me worked up =P

I had only 5 mins left and I can only remember 1 of my answers, which I cannot even disclose.

I felt pretty good with the other ones, but I know for sure that I missed one on the Galileo passage gahhh...

On the PS, thankfully, I took a physics course that covered rockets. If I never knew how rockets operated, I would have been lost for sure :\

yeah, the galileo passage was cool, i kindof liked it, since it wasn't that long, but the rocket one, damn bro wtf mate?! i've never seen a formula like that! this sucks man

quick question, when can we register for another test?? Must we wait for our scores to be released, or can we register for one again in May right now (next couple of days or so)???

thanks guys!

All right, I have it tomorrow, and looking on here was a mistake. You guys are making me freak out :eek:

but I'm guessing tomorrow they probably won't ask about rockets, which is comforting...

I'm not stressing the score (yet) even though my life depends on it. Still too tired to stress.

About to kick back with a nice bubble bath and movie... and get started on a relaxing weekend. AFTER I fill up this box with mcat stuff (outta sight, outta mind)

okay so i've been under the radar lately trying to just focus for the MCAT but man...today's MCAT KILLED ME! i'm still just now getting over it

PS: at first i was like yea okay i got this...then those stupid passages on magnetism and rocket crap totally had me guessing. i think i'll be lucky with a 9 :(

VR: eh i dunno...was alright, not the easiest, not the hardest but i've been doing okay with (verbal 10's and 11's on practices)...i was a zombie during that section since i got raped in PS so it's really a blur

BS: totally unexpected content had like 2 wtf passages. definitely lots of genetics

overall i came out of this test feeling horrible and i still feel kind of horrible...i think i'd be lucky to get a 30

(btw my AAMC's have been low 30s)

MCAT sucks....

omg **** bio!!

I studied hormones like hardcore and there's nothing on it

BTW there is one passage on verbal that's REALLY similar to the aamc practice verbal

yea i studied hormones and the body systems pretty hardcore...all for nothing...

i feel like 3 months of studying has just been useless...but hopefully i'm just being dramatic

Guys, let's all take a deep breath...hold it...hold it...and exhale.

Just be happy that:

1. it looks like very few of us had any idea what that rocket/circular motion page was

2. remember our practice AAMC scores.

3. remember your gpa, past accomplishments, etc. and be secure in the fact that you probably answered those questions just as well as everyone else, and in exactly the manner in which you were expected to do.

Don't worry guys, we got this. ;)

Guys, let's all take a deep breath...hold it...hold it...and exhale.

Just be happy that:

1. it looks like very few of us had any idea what that rocket/circular motion page was

2. remember our practice AAMC scores.

3. remember your gpa, past accomplishments, etc. and be secure in the fact that you probably answered those questions just as well as everyone else, and in exactly the manner in which you were expected to do.

Don't worry guys, we got this. ;)

Gosh I hope so!:oops:

yea i studied hormones and the body systems pretty hardcore...all for nothing...

i feel like 3 months of studying has just been useless...but hopefully i'm just being dramatic

Yeah, I agree. I feel like all that memorizing of all that bio stuff was pointless. At least there was one question on the digestive system enzymes. Did you guys find a stand alone question help you answer another question in a passage? I thought it was funny :)

man...everyone feels really good about bio except myself and a small number of others (who probably don't feel as bad as I do, anyway). now I know I bombed the BS section. I thought maybe it was just hard to everyone, but guess not...probably like a 7 or 8.

OKAY LISTEN UP EVERYONE:

you need to realize a few ppl on SDN saying "oh that was easy" or "oohhh that was sooo hard!" does not mean jack. based on 5 ppl on here saying the test was hard doesn't mean jacksh1t for the curve. think about how big of the sample we are compared to the TOTAL number of ppl who took the test today. we're like 10/a few thousand i'm sure.

also, one person saying it's hard doesn't mean it had to have been for YOU specifically. everyone has weaknesses and strengths, so certain tests will be more challenging for ppl who unluckily have a test full of their weaknesses. you guys are saying it was full of genetics and evolution, honestly...you really can't whine about that. genetics and evolution is some of the most basic and easy topics in biology. if you had a hard time on those, then you weren't prepared at all. i feel i would have kicked butt on this one if it was really genetics+evolution heavy. someone also said it dealt with a lot of ochem lab questions. well, i didnt study ochem much for mine but i definitely remember all the ochem lab stuff still you do the same few things over and over and over for a year. so again, i think i would have done fine on that.

i took the 4/5 test 2 weeks ago and i thought it was fine. i thought the PS was harder than practice tests and that the overal thing was a lil more wordy than expected. however, i practiced with reading all the passage to begin with so that was fine. you really only get screwed on more wordy passages if you make it a habit to not read the passages in order to answer the science questions. just my two cents...

after going through what you guys are going through now 2 weeks ago, i realize all these posts are meaningless. at the time i kept coming back and checking these posts, but now later when you're thinking clearly you realize how stupid that was of you. all it does is stress you out. just because a few ppl on here said it was easy and you thought it was hard does not mean you messed up! they could ALL be wrong and YOU could have been right. so don't worry about it and seriously just don't read SDN for a few weeks.

let the 4-5 week wait begin now...hehe i'm 2 weeks down...a lil more than 2 weeks to go!