The 4/18/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pingouin

just chillin'
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome, all April 18, 2008, MCATers!!!!

This is your official place to stress, vent, hang out, party, cry, yell, or whatever else you need to do in the week before and just after your MCAT.

As a reminder, when your test is done, you are welcome to come here and discuss your experience with it. Discussing general passage topics is OK- ie, "I had PS passages on circuits, thermodynamics, and optics." However, you are NOT allowed post specific questions, passage information, or answer choices from your test. Any posts which contain specific content from the test will be deleted, and a 1-week post hold will be placed on your account. Look here for more information on this.

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: to each and every one of you!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

This is my second time and I hope it's my last. One minute I will feel optimistic and the next I will picture clicking on testing history thx and being devastated by a low score. I don't think it would be as bad if all of my family and friends weren't waiting to find the score out too. I honestly think half of the pressure and lurking doom we feel comes from the expectations of our friends and family. I know that for me, the embarrassment of potential rejection from schools or bad mcat scores in front of my family is almost as bad as the results themselves. I guess it's all a part of the process of getting in that most of us go through. But seriously, I hate AAMC with a passion for making us wait for a month.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what to do with myself now that the test is over. studying for the mcat became such a daily routine of mine that now that it's over it's kind of driving me up the wall. I'm actually thinking about reading my human physiology book again. :scared:

This is my second time and I hope it's my last. One minute I will feel optimistic and the next I will picture clicking on testing history thx and being devastated by a low score. I don't think it would be as bad if all of my family and friends weren't waiting to find the score out too. I honestly think half of the pressure and lurking doom we feel comes from the expectations of our friends and family. I know that for me, the embarrassment of potential rejection from schools or bad mcat scores in front of my family is almost as bad as the results themselves. I guess it's all a part of the process of getting in that most of us go through. But seriously, I hate AAMC with a passion for making us wait for a month.

definitely the case. I feel like anything less than what I've been averaging on my practice tests will seem like a disappointment. It's definitely a mistake to tell people how you're doing, because if you don't do that well on the real thing it makes it all the more disappointing. Trying not to think about it too much but I get pangs of "what if I just really messed up" all too frequently.

haha... I think i'd be lost too if it wasn't for finals and ochem taking up all my time. he's teaching to the very last minute... two quizzes left before the final a week from tomorrow!

my first final is tomorrow night, so in the midst of that i'm trying to study. gah, I hate organic!

I don't know what to do with myself now that the test is over. studying for the mcat became such a daily routine of mine that now that it's over it's kind of driving me up the wall. I'm actually thinking about reading my human physiology book again. :scared:

I know. I can't even get a job b/c we're probably going away for the summer. I've got two weeks of doing absolutely nothing :sleep:.

Funny thing is, as soon as school starts up again, I'm going to be wishing for these two weeks back.

In the middle of a vert physiology lecture my prof starts using the word centrifugal force when talking about the inertia and blood pressure etc.

This set off a freak out alarm in my head because I remember having a question on the MCAT where the answers were various choices including centrifugal, centripital, and some others. I immediately crossed out centrifugal because I had not clue what it was and now I'm wondering if I totally just missed a question I thought I had right. I really have no memory of the actual question, so I have no clue.

I'm not really freaking out or anything, and really I haven't been thinking much about the test at all, but this definitely got to me

I'm so tired guys... 4 hrs of sleep last night (up doing organic) and organic all day does not bode well toward a happy gradu8.

however, lab is offically over!! :) one more quiz and the final. I see a light!

I as well finished lab today. The good feeling from that is balanced out though by all the bs (Bull*hit, not biological sciences...god I hate the MCAT...:thumbdown:) that is involved with the sprint to finals week. The prudent thing to do would be to look over my MCAT stuff a couple of times a week just in case a retake is in the cards...but I just can't bring myself to do it. Everything is happily packed up in a box. Out of sight out of mind.

After finals i'll prob. try and get the personal statement out of the way and secure some letters of rec..... we'll see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else having the recurring daydream that the scores are released early? :p

i do and i actually take that daydream a step further and check the website to see if the scores were released... its irrational but i just want to know so bad, i need to know if i can move on or if i should start studying again

uughh...I'm getting SOO nervous. At my school, there is an early admissions program, and I was accepted to start med school this fall...contingent on my MCAT score. If I don't get the score I need then I must finish my undergrad degree and reapply as a regular applicant. The score actually in theory isn't that hard to get (27 with no individual score lower than an 8), but I wasn't prepared for the MCAT (lets see, I had two months to prepare and a full science classload as well as volunteer work) and all of my practice scores were right on the line (I kept flipping between 7-8 on PS)...it's gonna be so depressing if I look at that score and it's too low.

I'm nervous, but I'm also excited and ready for it to be over. May 20th could quite possibly be one of the best days of my (recent) life.
No matter what, my re-app already looks better with that shiny 3.92 or 3.93 opposed to last years 3.71. every mcat point is just icing on the cake. I need at least 3-4 points to be truly competitive, but any increase will help.

does anybody know how you can check the score online? Also, when do you guys think the score's going to be released?

Gosh, I am getting nervous especially after a physician telling me that if I get a 30+, I'd be in really good shape. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Well keep in mind that people with less than 30 are far less likely to post it there, and that the general SDN population is probably on the upper end of the MCAT average.

I saw that too. Not saying he/she didn't make it, but a 43 is pretty amazing. I was told AAMC uses guassian distribution, and I was surprised you could break a 43 out of the standard error. I was curious and looked at AAMC's score history and there hasn't been a 43 scored in any of the previous years listed. Who knows. Good for them if so. It does make it intimidating to see scores like that, but you can only worry about what you can control.

I saw that too. Not saying he/she didn't make it, but a 43 is pretty amazing. I was told AAMC uses guassian distribution, and I was surprised you could break a 43 out of the standard error. I was curious and looked at AAMC's score history and there hasn't been a 43 scored in any of the previous years listed. Who knows. Good for them if so. It does make it intimidating to see scores like that, but you can only worry about what you can control.

It's a statistical artifact. The graph on the AAMC website only has a significant digit in the tenths place for the percentiles. If less than .05% of people scored a 43 then it wouldn't show up on the score sheet. In fact, 43s are scored in most of the recent years. 45s however, are not. :p

Well my not understanding that shows why I won't get a 43...I wouldn't have thought at the extremes of the curve they could differentiate a 43 from a 42 or a 44, and with no correllating scores showing up below a 5 it didn't seem to fit the curve (didn't realize 3 was the lowest possible score). Good for him/her, that's awesome.

is it known at what time exactly the scores were released on monday (ie 12am vs 8am?) ... i know i wont get any sleep that sunday night

guys, just keep in mind that the AAMC will be fickle with your score release. mine was pushed back an undefined period of time. i was told it would be posted within a 48-hour period (ended up being about 36 hours later). it was frustrating, but i'm sure they did it to reduce the amount of traffic they were getting to their website. imagine thousands of pre-meds obsessively hitting "refresh" around 5 p.m. on a given day!

just saying, don't let waiting on this thing this ruin your day(s)

Do you guys think that in reality they are already scored and ready to go? I can't help but think they are, and that they could just randomly post them at any time.

Aside from my delusions, I had been expecting them on Tuesday the 20th, where are you guys coming up with Monday? Just because the April 5th ones came out on Monday?

haha, i've been having those pretty consistently since about a month before the MCAT

i hope you are all satisfied with your scores. if you are, you will find that the MCAT - everything about it - fades out of memory really quickly :)

I tend to forget about it till I come on here or someone asks me. (At least once a day)

It seems like someone is ALWAYS asking me. Makes me even more nervous!!

"What do you mean you have no idea? You don't know how you did? You don't think you did well? "

Me: "No. I have no clue. Now leave me alone"

"What do you mean you have no idea? You don't know how you did? You don't think you did well? "

Me: "No. I have no clue. Now leave me alone"

:lol:

agreed. And my favorite "WHY haven't you gotten your scores back? Aren't they automatic or something"

no, DAMMIT they arent. And we've all discussed at length how they should be. You reiterating my wait is NOT helping the situation.

All of my friends just ASSUME I had my scores and did awesome. I keep getting phone calls asking for help from multiple people...I'm not that smart, so I find it quite odd.

I can't take this anymore. I was doing fine, now I'm beginning to obsess. And whats the most depressing is that I am 99.9% sure I will be retaking, but that tiny part of me still has hope...so please just release these damn scores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure the release schedule says AFTER 5 PM EST on April 20

for the first time in my life, I'm glad that I have a difficult finals schedule to keep my mind off the MCAT haha