The 5/10/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mheart

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am surprised this thread has not been started yet!! How is everyone feeling about the test?? How are you spending your last week & 1/2? I am retaking from Jan 26th so this is IT! I'm more ready to have it done than nervous...what about everyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

I am also retaking, from last May. So this is also IT for me. I agree with you...more ready to be done that nervous, but I must admit, I am nervous. :)

For me, verbal is the biggest source of anxiety. I'm getting 8's and 9's on every practice test (and one 10) and hope that I can pull at least an 8 on the real thing.

For the next week and a half I'm planning on taking AAMC 6 and 10 and brushing up on some weak spots. I have also noticed stuff on the AAMC list of material that I have never studied, like Henry's Law, "counter current multiplier mechanism", etc. Need to do that. But all in all I feel great about biological sciences and good about physical sciences.

ok, here we go i will be taking it on may 10th also. lets go guys we can do this

I'm also May 10th. Ready to have it over, but also a little anxious. I'm not really sure how to spend my last week or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me either Bearferret! The first time I took the MCAT, two days before I did a practice test but the day before I took completely off. Everyone says to take the day before off, but I know that I will feel better psychologically if I do some reviewing throughout the day. When I took the day off the day before my last MCAT it made me feel anxious.

I am also going to start doing visualizations of doing great on the test and go to lots and lots of spinning classes. Can't hurt!

i was also curious why there wasn't already a may 10 thread going -- though clearly not motivated enough to start it myself.

anyway, good luck to all. and if, like me, you have finals starting may 12, good luck on those too!

I'm taking it also on May 10th. I can't wait for this to be over. Hopefully it will be over forever because I really do not want to retake it. Good luck everyone! Lets do this! :luck:

I'm taking it May 10th too. I'm just doing a couple verbal passages each day out of the examkrackers 101 book. I'm finished with practice tests and ranged around 29S to 32S on the majority of them....Also, I'm just doing basic review over formulas and concepts till the test date.

I'm in this boat too. I'm not sweating it too much, actually kind of glad I'm doing it now so I needn't sell my summer short for it.

I'm also forswearing on alcohol until the test is over, at which point I am headed directly to a bar.

It is going to be very interesting...I started prepping for this thing since early January, and now it's almost here! I've already covered all the material I think I can cover...I figure a couple more practice tests and thats it for me! Just a little review and then Saturday morning 8AM here we come!

Jamesrick...that is exactly where my practice tests are. 29-32 AAMC's, with a couple 33's on Kaplan's. I still need to take AAMC 6 and 10.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jamesrick...that is exactly where my practice tests are. 29-32 AAMC's, with a couple 33's on Kaplan's. I still need to take AAMC 6 and 10.

If I had anything close to that, i wouldn't be concerned. I'm in big trouble!

For those retaking, what did you get the first time. I'm really scared and have no time to retake.

may 10 here as well...was gonna start this thread, but got lazy...

i feel like not as many ppl are taking it may 10 because it overlaps with finals...thats the case at my school...what do you guys think...

and not to be a jerk...but do u think that bcuz more ppl will be stressed with finals and the mcat, that the curve will be nicer :D?

I can't wait till this is over with.

I hope that this test has a nicer curve.

Dr. Josh, I got a 23 the first time. I am just freaking hoping it goes better this time.

Dr. Josh, I got a 23 the first time. I am just freaking hoping it goes better this time.

Wow, that's a big difference between your first test score and your practices now. What were your practice test scores the first time around? What do you attribute the improvement to? Good luck!

I think the mcat has to do with the luck and test you get on the day. I hope we have a lucky day where we get topics we know well.

Practice test scores were lots of 23's, one 25, and one 27 right before the test. I really didn't know the material--AT ALL. Was working 2 jobs and taking 15 credit hours and graduating and just couldn't get everything together in time. I also got lost on the way to the test center, woke up with pink eye, and there was a malfunction and everything was delayed like two hours. The whole thing was awful but I was just plain NOT PREPARED. Taking the test and then not voiding was a BIG MISTAKE and I'm just hoping that Satuday goes well!!!! I really can't fathom going through this a third time!!! :(

I'm sure you are going to do great! There are definitely people whose highest score yet happens on test day.

Guys, we need to start doing visualizations of having the best test possible and a really generous curve and everything. This may be a really great MCAT for all of us.

The thing I am most worried about is verbal. My score fluctuates between a 9 and 11. I really hope that verbal will go well....it freaks me out!

I second that about verbal. Though mines is fluctuating from 6-8. =( I just hope for an 8 and if all the stars align maybe a 9.

Guys, we need to start doing visualizations of having the best test possible and a really generous curve and everything. This may be a really great MCAT for all of us.

haha this is a great idea. I am seeing a test with lots of bio discreets & very little applied physics (my downfall). I've actually been picturing myself opening my score report & seeing a 37 whenever I get tired of studying. It really does work for me to keep me going b/c I know what an AMAZING feeling that would be. I got a 30 in Jan, but I have a really crappy GPA (3.14), so I need to do better.

Also, I feel like this is not a very popular test, since not so many people are posting, but all the testing centers around me were full, I wonder what is going on? Hopefully a lot of people who don't really want to go to med school & haven't studied any, but just want to take the test for fun have signed up, & thus make a very very generous curve. haha. actually, I don't even think the curve works like this.

How is everyone feeling in the last week? I am on the border or wishing i had one more week/thinking Saturday couldn't come soon enough. I am definitely still going to spend every night this week at the library... Good luck!

haha this is a great idea. I am seeing a test with lots of bio discreets & very little applied physics (my downfall). I've actually been picturing myself opening my score report & seeing a 37 whenever I get tired of studying. It really does work for me to keep me going b/c I know what an AMAZING feeling that would be. I got a 30 in Jan, but I have a really crappy GPA (3.14), so I need to do better.

Also, I feel like this is not a very popular test, since not so many people are posting, but all the testing centers around me were full, I wonder what is going on? Hopefully a lot of people who don't really want to go to med school & haven't studied any, but just want to take the test for fun have signed up, & thus make a very very generous curve. haha. actually, I don't even think the curve works like this.

How is everyone feeling in the last week? I am on the border or wishing i had one more week/thinking Saturday couldn't come soon enough. I am definitely still going to spend every night this week at the library... Good luck!

I am with you, I will be in the library every night this week. I just can't wait for this to be over....it will feel so good

Hellooooooooo, 5/10 MCATers!!

I've just retitled this thread to make it your official place to stress, vent, hang out, party, cry, yell, or whatever else you need to do in the week before and just after your MCAT.

As a reminder, when your test is done, you are welcome to come here and discuss your experience with it. Discussing general passage topics is OK- ie, "I had PS passages on circuits, thermodynamics, and optics." However, you are NOT allowed post specific questions, passage information, or answer choices from your test. Any posts which contain specific content from the test will be deleted, and a 1-week post hold will be placed on your account. Look here for more information on this.

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: to each and every one of you!!!!!!!

The thing I am most worried about is verbal. My score fluctuates between a 9 and 11. I really hope that verbal will go well....it freaks me out!

Same here. I don't know how to improve it at this point, but I will try to keep taking practice verbals and looking over my answers to see why I got stuff wrong :/

Good luck everyone~! (long time lurker, but first post here ^^)

I am also most worried about verbal but I think a key to doing ok in verbal is being confident. We are going to KICK VERBAL'S ASSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also have a fantasy of seeing my score report and seeing 30+ flash in front of me on the screen. Then I imagine crying out of joy, screaming, etc. :)

We can DO THIS. Let's be confident. It does seem like we're an exclusive club!!! I hope that lots of people are taking it in the midst of finals (same mistake I made last time) and haven't had time to prepare a lot and are going to bring the curve wayyyyyyyyyyy down. I know that's mean, but....I'm sick of going through all this MCAT bull****!

so what's everyone's strategy for this last couple days of studying? i took aamc 4 today and i plan on taking aamc 10 tomorrow and aamc 9 on thursday before taking friday completely off.

I just hope my test is not canceled. (I was originally scheduled to take the exam on April 19th when, 2 hours before the exam was to begin, I was notified that the exam in Austin, TX had been canceled).

Sorry I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for you, if that's your lowest section. I wish that was my greatest concern.

Sorry I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for you, if that's your lowest section. I wish that was my greatest concern.

I understand your concerns, but try to be positive and give it your best. You will be fine. Best of luck :luck:

Last night I couldn't shut off my mind from thinking. I hope I can get some sleep the night before the test.

What kinds of passages is everyone hoping for on Saturday in each section????

Last night I couldn't shut off my mind from thinking. I hope I can get some sleep the night before the test.

What kinds of passages is everyone hoping for on Saturday in each section????

I couldn't either! I have night long verbal reasoning passages going through my mind :(

As for passages, I just don't want any killer verbal ones....its a nice wish :)

Been studying hardcore since January....and I can't believe this is actually it in a few days!!!

Anyone take AAMC #7 #9 #10 yet?

I got 34, 33, and im taking 10 on Thursday....so I hope the real thing is similar in difficulty.....just hoping for at least a 30! Good luck to everyone!

My highest score was on AAMC #7...32. Then I took AAMC and got 30. BS was not bad but I made lots of stupid mistakes and got a 10. Got a 12 in PS. 8 in verbal :(....again, lots of stupid mistakes.

I'm a surgery assistant at a dermatological surgery clinic. My boss (the MD) and I made an agreement that I would work extra a few weeks leading up to the MCAT if I could have the entire week before the MCAT off. We talked about this 2 months ago and I worked a lot of extra days for a few weeks in a row. Well, in the last couple weeks I've been getting major pressure to work tomorrow because they ended up scheduling 14 surgeries for the morning even though they knew I'd be gone....I don't want to be a bad employee, but I keep saying I can't come in......this is the right move, right? Would anyone in their right mind go into work if you had asked for it off the week before the MCAT (and now THREE DAYS before the MCAT?!)

I'm a surgery assistant at a dermatological surgery clinic. My boss (the MD) and I made an agreement that I would work extra a few weeks leading up to the MCAT if I could have the entire week before the MCAT off. We talked about this 2 months ago and I worked a lot of extra days for a few weeks in a row. Well, in the last couple weeks I've been getting major pressure to work tomorrow because they ended up scheduling 14 surgeries for the morning even though they knew I'd be gone....I don't want to be a bad employee, but I keep saying I can't come in......this is the right move, right? Would anyone in their right mind go into work if you had asked for it off the week before the MCAT (and now THREE DAYS before the MCAT?!)

I'm also working full time right now and I am taking this full week off and I am so happy I am! I would say that you should stick to your word and not come in... you'll feel much more relaxed going into the test and you won't be all worked up and angry about having to come into work. Plus, you have certain rights as an employee and you should be able to take a day off when you need one. Anyways, I hope it all goes well for you!

Let's do it crew!!!:thumbup: Good luck to all! I know I'll need it!

BTW, the test is EFFING SATURDAY!!!

I'm also taking the test THIS SATURDAY! Is anyone else having bad dreams about it? I woke up this morning thinking it was Saturday and I'd overslept and missed my exam.

I haven't been able to shut off my mind from thinking before going to bed. MCAT equations running through my head.

I'm hoping that the test is a good test for my strengths and doesn't focus much on my weaknesses. I think some aspect of this MCAT stuff is luck!

I can't believe its less that 72 hours away...pretty nerve-wracking. I finished the last of my practice tests yesterday...got a 33 (10PS, 11VR, 12BS), which is a little bit down for me. The highest I've gotten was a 37 on an AAMC about 2 weeks ago, and a few 35's from Kaplan exams. In total I've taken 9 full-lengths, and I believe that is more than enough. Next 2 days will just be reviewing some notes and equations I've taken from Kaplan and EK books, and lots of rest. I really hope I kill this thing!

I can't believe its less that 72 hours away...pretty nerve-wracking. I finished the last of my practice tests yesterday...got a 33 (10PS, 11VR, 12BS), which is a little bit down for me. The highest I've gotten was a 37 on an AAMC about 2 weeks ago, and a few 35's from Kaplan exams. In total I've taken 9 full-lengths, and I believe that is more than enough. Next 2 days will just be reviewing some notes and equations I've taken from Kaplan and EK books, and lots of rest. I really hope I kill this thing!

congrats to you and all, but sorry you people flaunting your 37s just makes me more nervous; I don't need to feel even mor einadequate and unprepared than i already feel.