The 5/23/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemist0157

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread so I'm starting one for May 23rd.

Before you know it, it will be here!

I'm a third-time taker, and, at the moment, I'm buzzing through the AAMC practice tests.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm on for this date too.

OP, how did you study the first two times? Just curious, what didn't work for you.

Basically, I didn't study the first time. I took a couple of practice tests.

Second time, I was sickly and actually got a ticket on the way there, so, lol, I wasn't really concentrating.

I got a 27 both times. If I had done better the 2nd time, I probably wouldn't take it again, but I just can't stand making the same thing after studying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, I'm taking it on may 23rd too! It will be my first time and I've spent almost 2 months reviewing the materials from EK. Will be taking as many AAMC practice tests as possible. Best of luck to everyone!!!

Also, I live just a few blocks from my test center so I think I'm gonna go scope out the location and parking situation the week before haha.

Seriously, there's gotta be more than like 4 people taking the test on this date on here. Or am I the only one dumb enough to sign up for the MCAT a week after finals? I sure hope there's a huge curve...

Yep, I'm a 5/23 as well. This'll be my 2nd time and I'm determined that it'll be my last. I paid for the Kaplan online course which hurt financially, but I'm feeling much more prepared than last time. I only crammed for 10 days before the last one and all it got me was a 27R. Gotta do much better than that these days apparently...

What you crammed in ten 10 days and got a 27 lucky. I am taking it May 31 and took the kaplan class which I learned was not good if you don't keep up. I am scared ****less Ive done bad on a couple of practice tests and its hard as crap. Hopefully I can improve to above a 25 in month.:thumbup:

Hey guys! Another May 23rd test taker here! :scared:

I've been trying to study at least a couple of hours a day since the beginning of January. It's been a bit rough the past couple of weeks due to the end of the semester coming up and the need to study for finals. I haven't been able to study for the MCAT since Tuesday and I'm a bit panicked.

The PS section pretty much kicks my butt every time I take a practice test ... mostly due to the physics section. I've improved a bit but not as much as I had hoped. :( I'm taking some time off of work so I can really concentrate on it but I know that I'm coming down to the wire at this point. sigh.

Good luck to everyone!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm taking it on the 23rd as well... I got a 26M first time around, and I've been trying to follow a study course best I can. I went through all the ExamKracker books and wrote condensed notes and have been reading them repetitively. I also am going back through all the 1001 questions and taking AAMC exams... I go back through and write notes on all the problems I got wrong. I'm FEELING more confident, but my practice test scores aren't really reflecting it... I'm hoping for a big jump with the more tests I take.

Any other advice?

I just took aamc #4 online and got a 39! 11 v, and 14s in PS and BS. I was certainly shocked cause I didn't feel I was doing that well. This is really the first full length I've taken since I started hardcore studying. But that certainly gave me a confidence boost for test. Ill have to see how i do on the rest of them these next 2 weeks

That's great!

I've been running through the AAMC tests too, and here's my progress...

#3 36 - 13 10 13
#4 34 - 12 11 11
#5 32 - 11 10 11
#6 34 - 11 11 12

I've heard the earlier ones (3 and 4) aren't really that accurate so I still feel good that I'm making decent on the newer ones. I just need to get into that elusive MCAT mindset.

Oh whoa your'e from Arkansas?? We're probably gonna be in the exact same room! (assuming your'e taking it in LR). Look for me, I'll be wearing a red hat. JK thats a little weird haha.

Edit: Actually I think I just figured out who you are based off your ECs... man this is funny.
2nd Edit: Ok I'm positive now! Your cover's blown hahah

Hey all, I am taking the test on May 23rd as well. I have been studying since late Jan, and to be honest I am kind of burnt out. Does anyone else feel that way? I kind of wish I was taking it on the 10th. Anyways, I am just trying to do practice probs every day and around one practice test a week. My practice tests were fluctuating for a bit, but the last two have gone pretty well. I think that I will take my last full length maybe the Monday or Tuesday before and do light review up until that Friday. What is everyone else's plan for these last couple of weeks? Good luck to everyone, be sure to eat well and get lots of sleep!

Oh whoa your'e from Arkansas?? We're probably gonna be in the exact same room! (assuming your'e taking it in LR). Look for me, I'll be wearing a red hat. JK thats a little weird haha.

Edit: Actually I think I just figured out who you are based off your ECs... man this is funny.
2nd Edit: Ok I'm positive now! Your cover's blown hahah

You will never catch me!

Since I will be taking it...

in Arkadelphia!

Muahaha...

Does anyone have tips to note taking on the CBT? Do you know if you use the keyboard for everythig or is it a touch screen? Is there anyone that has taken the paper and the CBT to compare them? THanks!:D

Down to less than a week. How's everyone feeling about it? I've been rocking out the practice full-lengths and sections so I'm feeling pretty good. Got my sleep schedule going well (up at 6:15 am every day), eating the same thing each morning, and quit drinking coffee all together. Anyone else adjusting their bodies to the test schedule yet?

I did another practice test yesterday and did really well. Today, I'll review that tests (probably my others too), and I might practice with the writing section.

What's everyone going to do the rest of this week? I won't do anything Thursday to give myself a break before the real thing. I'll probably take a couple more AAMC practice tests, and yeah, I do need to practice waking up around 6.

If my score turns out like my practice test have, I'll be ecstatic. My practices are much better than last time around. I'm not really nervous, just anxious knowing that this time really is do or die. :)

I did another practice test yesterday and did really well. Today, I'll review that tests (probably my others too), and I might practice with the writing section.

What's everyone going to do the rest of this week? I won't do anything Thursday to give myself a break before the real thing. I'll probably take a couple more AAMC practice tests, and yeah, I do need to practice waking up around 6.

If my score turns out like my practice test have, I'll be ecstatic. My practices are much better than last time around. I'm not really nervous, just anxious knowing that this time really is do or die. :)

Yup, do or die here too. When I started taking practice tests my VR was 12-13 with BS/PS in the 9-10 range. Now that I've studied more, it's completely flipped. Sure it means better overall scores, but it'd be great if I could get the VR back up to where it was. Think there's still time to improve?

Honestly, I feel like VR is pretty sporadic. If there is one hard passage, I can expect a 12-13, but if there are two that I have a hard time understanding, I can expect a 10-11. My attitude toward VR is really just to keep my head above water (at least a 10) and make it up on the "easier" sections.

I think I'll improve just a bit if I reread those harder passages from my practice tests and just focus on the main points since I've already answered the questions. There's always time to improve!

Signed up for the 23rd. Ranging 9-11 on each section which has me worried. When it's a 9 it's at the highest end of the distribution where one more question goes to a 10. Missing couple "no brainer" questions which would make a huge difference. Can't cancel now so I'll take it. Think voiding is a good idea if I feel like I got rocked???

are there just fewer people taking the may 23rd exam? there doesn't seem to be as much enthusiasm about this thread as there are for the other test dates... maybe people are busy studying...

did you guys purposefully sign up for a later or earlier date?

I think the 5/23 slot is probably very close to finals week for some people. Not many would want to tack another exam onto the end of finals, much less one with such importance. I've graduated, so it doesn't matter to me. Plus this way I can take Friday off work, get Monday off for Memorial Day, and have a 4-day weekend!

I'm taking it on 5/23 as well. It is kind of rough because my last final just ended on friday. I went to go take a practice test and study saturday morning at the engineering building (I'm an engineer) and I only one other person was inside the building for the many hours I was there.

K guys, it's now just a few days away. For those of you who have taken it previously. What is a good strategy for the last week of cramming? I really need to bump up my Bio and Phys sections into double digits.

K guys, it's now just a few days away. For those of you who have taken it previously. What is a good strategy for the last week of cramming? I really need to bump up my Bio and Phys sections into double digits.

By this point there's not really a whole, whole lot of information that you can learn effectively. I'd say your best bet is to try to master the material you only kinda know so you're sure to get those points. If you have no idea about a topic in physics or chem, it might be worth your time to try to get the formulas down even if you don't know every intricate use for them. That should at least help you eliminate some answer choices and increase your odds of getting it right.

Also, make sure you have a thorough understanding of the test format, timing, instructions, that kind of thing. You don't want any more surprises than necessary.

Friday is the day. I think I am ready but I am not sure. I have been doing "okay" on the practice exams, but I feel like if I had a few more weeks to study I would go up at least 4 or 5 points. I tried to reschedule but I missed the deadline. But I am going to go in with confidence and hope I get over a 30. I will not be devastated if I have to take it twice, but I really did not want to. Good luck everyone.

Oh, and is it true that most people's score goes up a little as compared to the practice exams?

I will be retaking that morning to fix a 6 on the BS I landed back in January.

Good luck, folks. I will say that I have precisely three days to take a practice exam or two and do some last-minute organic reaction / general concept review since I've been slacking horribly on that.

I will be retaking that morning to fix a 6 on the BS I landed back in January.

Good luck, folks. I will say that I have precisely three days to take a practice exam or two and do some last-minute organic reaction / general concept review since I've been slacking horribly on that.

Yeah I hear ya on the reaction stuff. I've transitioned into all note-card mode where I'm just trying to be able to recognize what's going on in a problem.

I'll probably take a few sectional tests today and tomorrow, but Thursday is off-limits for any major work!

Hello all! I too am going to be taking the MCATs this Friday. I'm freaking out just thinking about it. I've been doing a mediocre job on the Kaplan tests (28, 30, 29), but I've been recently taking the AAMC practice tests (the later ones, I hear, are more representative of the actual test) and have been doing better 33, and 32. In fact does anyone else seem to think the AAMC tests are a bit easier than the Kaplan tests? Also the VR section is different. I wish I could say that they're easier, but they're not really easier, they're just... different.

So everything was going "okay". Then I took AAMC #8 toady. My BS and PS were about the same, maybe a little lower, but that is no big deal. But.....got a f*cking 6 in VR! This is the lowest I have EVER done in verbal! I didn't even get that low on my Kaplan diagnostic. My day is officially ruined. Will still study more, but what the f*ck!!!! I have been consistantly scoring in the 9-11 range for verbal. This sucks.

Faze,

I wouldnt worry about it too much. For one thing, stressing about it will only affect you negatively on test day at this point. Second, I can empathize with you, because I took a full length last friday and had my worst verbal by 3 points. I tried to just laugh it off because what else am I gonna do? I did better yesterday, and I feel that staying confident is key at this point. Stay positive, and good luck.

I'm ready for Friday to be over with.

I've looked at EK on and off since February, and made physics flash cards from the physics book they give. I also bought the EK verbal book with the 11 practice tests. That brought my score up from a 7 to consistent 11s and 12s.

Still nervous, but I've made 32 and 33 on a couple of the AAMC tests, so hopefully I'm good. After taking some Princeton Review tests and doing all of the EK practice problems and tests, I was amazed at how much easier the real MCAT actually is compared to those. I find myself not so much trying to recall previous knowledge, but just searching the passage and finding the right answer.

Anyway, good luck to all on test day!

Takin AAMC10 tomorrow. Hopefully will get a decent score on that. Found out that each test I have a few careless errors that will bump me up on each section. Hope to pay better attention!!

I am taking on the 23rd too. But I'll void it. not ready yet...hopefully i will be able to get a seat by July!

I am taking on the 23rd too. But I'll void it. not ready yet...hopefully i will be able to get a seat by July!

I was thinking that too. The only problem is, I was going to apply to a few SMP's for next year, and their deadline is July 15th. They require MCAT scores. I have no idea what to do know. I have gotten a 30 on one of my Kaplan preactice exams, and high 20's in a few, but I have also gotten some low to mid 20's, and that was not too long ago. It just seems to flucuate. I don't want to take it before I am ready, but I do not want to miss out on an SMP that may ultimately be what I need to get into a med school.

Dammi!!! What the hell should I do?

I was thinking that too. The only problem is, I was going to apply to a few SMP's for next year, and their deadline is July 15th. They require MCAT scores. I have no idea what to do know. I have gotten a 30 on one of my Kaplan preactice exams, and high 20's in a few, but I have also gotten some low to mid 20's, and that was not too long ago. It just seems to flucuate. I don't want to take it before I am ready, but I do not want to miss out on an SMP that may ultimately be what I need to get into a med school.

Dammi!!! What the hell should I do?

I'm not sure if this will help, but I know from the words of MANY people who took the kaplan course, that their tests are much harder than the actual MCAT. This is because, according to them, they actually take out the easy questions from the test and get you from the medium to hard questions immediately. So if you're taking the Kaplan tests and you're scoring high 20's, then I would go ahead and take the test feeling confident. I hear that the amcas exams that they give you from amcas#3-#10 are very representative of the actual test. So use those as a better measure of how you think you'll do.

As for the SMP program, I too am thinking about enrolling in a program. But I thought that SMP's didn't have their application deadlines until the the summer of the year you intend to go. So I guess I'm wondering if were you going to apply to med school/SMP for fall 2009? or for fall of 2008? In anycase, I hope the above helps you in sorting things out. Really everyone, best of luck!

I'm not sure if this will help, but I know from the words of MANY people who took the kaplan course, that their tests are much harder than the actual MCAT. This is because, according to them, they actually take out the easy questions from the test and get you from the medium to hard questions immediately. So if you're taking the Kaplan tests and you're scoring high 20's, then I would go ahead and take the test feeling confident. I hear that the amcas exams that they give you from amcas#3-#10 are very representative of the actual test. So use those as a better measure of how you think you'll do.

As for the SMP program, I too am thinking about enrolling in a program. But I thought that SMP's didn't have their application deadlines until the the summer of the year you intend to go. So I guess I'm wondering if were you going to apply to med school/SMP for fall 2009? or for fall of 2008? In anycase, I hope the above helps you in sorting things out. Really everyone, best of luck!

I appreciate it. Yeah I'm applying for the SMP's in Fall 2008. I may not have said it in my post, but I'm actually doing better on the Kaplan tests than I am on the AAMC's. Granted, my really bad AAMC was 80% because of my poor verbal score, but I haven't been able to take as many as I would like. I have not been slacking off all semester, I have been studying, but between work, school, and finals, I did not get to do as much as I would have liked.

I feel like I could do well (30+) with a little bit of luck, but I know I could if had just a little more time to study. But again, the SMP thing makes it really tough. The annoying thing is, there is no guarantee that I will even get into the ones I'm applying to. I can't wait until I'm in med school and can laugh about all of this. :thumbup:

I appreciate it. Yeah I'm applying for the SMP's in Fall 2008. I may not have said it in my post, but I'm actually doing better on the Kaplan tests than I am on the AAMC's. Granted, my really bad AAMC was 80% because of my poor verbal score, but I haven't been able to take as many as I would like. I have not been slacking off all semester, I have been studying, but between work, school, and finals, I did not get to do as much as I would have liked.

I feel like I could do well (30+) with a little bit of luck, but I know I could if had just a little more time to study. But again, the SMP thing makes it really tough. The annoying thing is, there is no guarantee that I will even get into the ones I'm applying to. I can't wait until I'm in med school and can laugh about all of this. :thumbup:

Hey Faze,
This isn't quite MCAT related, but more SMP related. If you're thinking of going to an SMP, have you thought about signing onto a research project for a year and delaying the SMP in fall 2009? This way, you could possiby have relevant research experience for an entire year and even possibly get published and then apply for an SMP with that on your credentials list. It could make you a stronger candidate for any program you apply for the future. It's just a thought...

I'm slow-going right now...

Hellooooooooo, 5/23 MCATers!!

I've just retitled this thread to make it your official place to stress, vent, hang out, party, cry, yell, or whatever else you need to do in the week before and just after your MCAT.

As a reminder, when your test is done, you are welcome to come here and discuss your experience with it. Discussing general passage topics is OK- ie, "I had PS passages on circuits, thermodynamics, and optics." However, you are NOT allowed post specific questions, passage information, or answer choices from your test. Any posts which contain specific content from the test will be deleted, and a 1-week post hold will be placed on your account. Look here for more information on this.

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: to each and every one of you!!!!!!!

I'm slow-going right now...

Hellooooooooo, 5/23 MCATers!!

I've just retitled this thread to make it your official place to stress, vent, hang out, party, cry, yell, or whatever else you need to do in the week before and just after your MCAT.

[technical stuff]

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: to each and every one of you!!!!!!!

Thanks! I'm sure I'll be in here about 1:00 Friday to do a fair amount of bitchin and moanin.

Then I'll be back about 30 days later to stress out over scores. Fun!