The 5/23/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemist0157

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread so I'm starting one for May 23rd.

Before you know it, it will be here!

I'm a third-time taker, and, at the moment, I'm buzzing through the AAMC practice tests.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow! Congratulations to all you guys who are happy with your scores! I see some good scores!

Those who have not posted this yet: can you elaborate more on the AAMC tests vs Real MCAT correlation, what your practice score averages were, how you felt right after the test/expected scores versus real scores.

Thanks!

I am an MCAT retaker and was curious if schools will take your best section scores for a best composite or do they only look at individual testings? If so what schools?

PM with responses.

Last edited:
Wow, congrats to everyone who is happy with their scores! Looks like you all did amazingly. :D

To anyone who has to retake, I think Chemist0157 is my new hero. 27 to a 35?!?! That is really impressive. Way to go! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
30Q, not too happy about it. I think i am going to retake as well. Got a 7 on verbal which had never happened on any of my full lengths so i am kinda sad about that. I definitely want to get there earlier next time because people typing loudly while i was doing verbal wrecked my concentration.

Yeah, thats what I figured. I was aiming for a 30 (obviously)... I have a 3.85 gpa, 3.6 sciences. Athletic training major and music minor so I"ve only taken the basic sciences. Tons of clinical experience and shadowing, and currently have a position as a research technician with ECU's medical school. I'm aiming for UVA or MCV, or any schools DC/PA/NY regions. Probably the wrong thread for this, so I'll stop now...! Really am not sure whether to be happy or try again, which i REALLY don't want to do.

Yeah, thats what I figured. I was aiming for a 30 (obviously)... I have a 3.85 gpa, 3.6 sciences. Athletic training major and music minor so I"ve only taken the basic sciences. Tons of clinical experience and shadowing, and currently have a position as a research technician with ECU's medical school. I'm aiming for UVA or MCV, or any schools DC/PA/NY regions. Probably the wrong thread for this, so I'll stop now...! Really am not sure whether to be happy or try again, which i REALLY don't want to do.

I'm in a similar boat. With 3.79 gpa and 3.69 sGPA. music and chem double major. but not impressive clinical experiences... i really didnt want to retake, but freaken 9 in PS... goodness...

Real:

33Q PS:11 VS:11 BS:11

AAMC Pratice Tests:

PS Avg: ~11-12
VS Avg: ~10
BS Avg: ~12-13
Average AAMC PT was probably around 33-34.

I'm happy with the overall score but a little disappointed in the Bio score. Verbal makes up for it though. I started out with a VS of 7 on the first practice test.

34P

11 VR (I was shocked, was praying just for a 10)
12 PS
11 BS

I'm happy that it's well balanced, even though it's slightly lower than I was hoping for. I thought I did better than that in the sciences.

I've been a lurker for the last month, I figure I might as well contribute now that I have my score:

PS: 12 BS: 12 VR: 10 WS: M

Same exact score....where are you applying with this score?

For those of you who are wondering about practice test correlation...my average was around a 33 on the AAMC tests.

5/15 – 12, 11, 11 – 34 (AAMC 3)
5/16 – 10, 11, 11 – 32 (AAMC 8)
5/19 – 13, 10, 12 – 35 (AAMC 5)
5/20 – 11, 9, 10 – 30 (AAMC 7)
5/20 – 12, 11, 10 – 33 (AAMC 4)
5/21 – 12, 9, 10 – 31 (AAMC 9)
5/21 – 13, 10, 11 – 34 (AAMC 10)
Average – 11.9, 10.1, 10.7 (AAMC Average)

5/23 – 9, 11, 11 – 31 (Real MCAT)

I do have to admit, as you may have noticed from my practice exam dates, I got home after taking finals at my college around 5/10, and started studying (though intensely I guess) on about 5/12.

So I guess my score is alright for only having just about 10 days of studying/practicing, but I should have known better than to plan in such a way...

I'm just really, really pissed about PS.

Any other 5/23 scores? I'm worried! 6/13 taker here...

31P here. 8,11,12. Physical killed me, but at least it didn't hurt my score that much. I'm satisfied. Could have done better, but could have done much worse.

Sorry to hear that. Was this your retake? How hard did you feel the test was?

Yes, it was. And I thought the PS was difficult, but that the VR/BS weren't that bad.

I thought for sure that at least one of those two sections would've been 10+.

What can I do? Just release my 24S / 25R to TMDSAS and plan for a retake? Just hope for the best?

Kaplan
1/04/08 Diagnostic - 20 - 6PS 7VR 7BS
4/02/08 01 - 25 - 8PS 7VR 10BS
4/06/08 02 - 23 - 9PS 7VR 7BS
4/13/08 03 - 27 - 10PS 9VR 8BS
4/20/08 04 - 28 - 11PS 6VR 11BS
5/11/08 05 - 33 - 11PS 8VR 14BS

Average - 27.2 - 9.8PS 7.4VR 10BS

AAMC
4/23/08 03 - 29 - 10PS 9VR 10BS
5/09/08 04 - 30 - 12PS 8VR 10BS
5/13/08 05 - 27 - 10PS 8VR 9BS
5/17/08 06 - 33 - 11PS 10VR 12BS
5/18/08 07 - 32 - 12PS 10VR 10BS

Average - 30.2 - 11PS 9VR 10.2BS

Actual Test
5/24/08 - 33N - 12PS 10VR 11BS

My test scores were kind of all over the map. I got the highest grade of any of my practice tests. One piece of advice for future takers is to do the writing sample in the practice test. This isn't because its actually important :laugh:, but because it adds to the number of hours you have to go through for the test. I didn't even finish one full writing sample section. I was exhausted by the time I got half way through my real WS and I think I could have done a lot better on my BS if I wasn't so mentally fried (although I can't believe I still got an 11 on it!)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
One piece of advice for future takers is to do the writing sample in the practice test. This isn’t because its actually important :laugh:, but because it adds to the number of hours you have to go through for the test. I didn't even finish one full writing sample section. I was exhausted by the time I got half way through my real WS and I think I could have done a lot better on my BS if I wasn’t so mentally fried (although I can’t believe I still got an 11 on it!)

Quoting this for truth. I was exhausted/frustrated after WS especially since I write very few argument papers nowadays.

i'm not sure what to think about this-- I got a 260 the first time, and I just got a 29M this time- Verbal 9, PS 8, BS 9 to a V 10, PS 10 and BS 9. I was happy with it, but after reading this and seeing how other people are disappointed with the same score, now what? Do I retake? I had said that if I got a 30 I'd be happy- and I am surprised with the 10 in PS and 9 in BS- if anything I thought it'd be the other way around!!!

dude, seriously? who cares if people are unhappy with their scores. you will see people unhappy about a 32....it doesnt matter what they think. are YOU happy with YOUR score? thats the only thing you should care about.

Yes, it was. And I thought the PS was difficult, but that the VR/BS weren't that bad.

I thought for sure that at least one of those two sections would've been 10+.

What can I do? Just release my 24S / 25R to TMDSAS and plan for a retake? Just hope for the best?

Thats a real tough situation. Looks like there is little other choice than to retake or try for a D.O.

27Q. VR8, PS10, BS9. Very very upset with this score.

On all of my practices, I was in 10/11 for VR and BS and in 9/10 for PS with an average at 30. But never scored as low as 27 except for my very first diagnostic which was 19. I know that these are crap scores compared to some of you 42-ers.

I am a crammer and it worked well in my university courses but I guess not so well with the mcat. I crammed for 2 weeks and that got me nowhere. The only good thing is that I have my notes to study from now so maybe studying will be more efficient.

I'm so discouraged. I will be retaking in August but debating that because last few months have been an emotional rollercoaster for me (called off a 6-year long engagement). I don't know if I am mentally ready yet.

Last edited:
Thats a real tough situation. Looks like there is little other choice than to retake or try for a D.O.

Well, I'm not going for DO, and there are openings for a July date near me.

I guess I need to release to the TMDSAS in the meantime, right? Seeing as how my schools all have my app and all...

I agree with the two above posters on the writing section. I was a history major, so I figured that I would have no problem with the essays, which weren't hard in and of themselves, but I had never just sat for a full 4.5 hour test. I also didn't finish one of my essays; hence my M score - embarrassing because of my pretest pride.

wow i am so incredibly upest. took the test while i was sick but had tynonel so i felt sharp for most of the the test until bio where i crashed and felt like i couldn't think at all. it was originally my best section but i ended up getting a score on that section ive never even gotten close to. had 12's on PS and VS but <<<10 on BS. i should be done with the mcats but will have to retake b/c my BS score makes me look literally ******ED...SIGH

Well, I'm not going for DO, and there are openings for a July date near me.

I guess I need to release to the TMDSAS in the meantime, right? Seeing as how my schools all have my app and all...

Yeah you might as well go ahead and release and notify them that you will be retaking.

Oh to do the comparision
Average for AAMC
PS - 11-13
VR - 9-11
BS - 12-14
Average composite 34-35

Real
PS - 12
VR - 7
BS - 11

Really disappointed about VR and BS. 7 is the lowest i've ever gotten and 11 for BS was what i was getting back in March.

Oh to do the comparision
Average for AAMC
PS - 11-13
VR - 9-11
BS - 12-14
Average composite 34-35

Real
PS - 12
VR - 7
BS - 11

Really disappointed about VR and BS. 7 is the lowest i've ever gotten and 11 for BS was what i was getting back in March.

You may end up being my twin once 5/27 scores are released.

Wow! Congratulations to all you guys who are happy with your scores! I see some good scores!

Those who have not posted this yet: can you elaborate more on the AAMC tests vs Real MCAT correlation, what your practice score averages were, how you felt right after the test/expected scores versus real scores.

Thanks!

I felt good about how I did, but that really didn't mean much to me. I felt good the second time and didn't do well, lol. BUT, if you walk out feeling like you did as good as your practice tests, you probably did. The key word is "practice."

5/27er here....Good luck to all of you! I'm nervous/excited for you. For those who didn't do as well, just believe in yourself. Things will work out!

Wow, congrats to everyone who is happy with their scores! Looks like you all did amazingly. :D

To anyone who has to retake, I think Chemist0157 is my new hero. 27 to a 35?!?! That is really impressive. Way to go! :laugh:

For all 3rd-time takers everywhere! :) Haha, I just couldn't take that second 27 standing down. I knew I could do better than that. However, i didn't think I did THAT well; I was really nervous when I saw the scores were up. I was praying for a 30-32. I had a dream that I made a 31.

Now I need to finish my work/activites, write my personal statement, and revise my school list.

Oh to do the comparision
Average for AAMC
PS - 11-13
VR - 9-11
BS - 12-14
Average composite 34-35

Real
PS - 12
VR - 7
BS - 11

I averaged the same as you on the practice test and had the same real score except for a 6 in VR- this was april 18th exam; i retook june 13 and waiting on scores

Practice MCAT Exam -
AAMC 3: V-9 PS-11 BS-9 (29)
AAMC 4: V-8 PS-10 BS-10 (28)
AAMC 5: V-9 PS-10 BS-11 (30)
AAMC 6: V-8 PS-10 BS-7 (25)
AAMC 7: V-10 PS-13 BS-9 (32)

Actual MCAT Exam -
9/2007: V-10 PS-10 BS-9 W-Q (29Q)
5/23/2008: V-9 PS-11 BS-10 W-S (30S)

I am satisfied with my score. Though it was only a one point improvement from my September exam, it was my goal to get 30 or higher. It helps to set yourself a goal and stick with it. No regrets!

For those who are feeling discouraged when they see other people's scores, remember this is your own personal journey. You know what you are capable of. Press on, you guys can do it!

Wish you all the best! :)

11-11-11 --33Q

I am very happy with this score. My practice tests on both Kaplan and AAMC were between 29 and 35. The last FL I took before the exam I scored a 33 so the practice tests are very indicative in my opinion.

Congrats to everyone!

*Please comment on my MDapps please : )*

It does sound like there are a lot of good scores out there. Although my total was right where I expected it (36R) my scores were way different than I expected them to be. Even though the PS section was grueling, I'd scored a lot higher on it on the practice exams I took JUST before the exam. Conversely, my bio was a bit higher than on practice exams. Verbal was pretty much where I expected it. Writing was about where I expected it, if a little lower.

Ah well, hopefully med schools won't freak out about the score disparity.

You've been a fun group :) I wish you all well and hope to see you at interviews, in med school, and the like.

pianola

It does sound like there are a lot of good scores out there. Although my total was right where I expected it (36R) my scores were way different than I expected them to be. Even though the PS section was grueling, I'd scored a lot higher on it on the practice exams I took JUST before the exam. Conversely, my bio was a bit higher than on practice exams. Verbal was pretty much where I expected it. Writing was about where I expected it, if a little lower.

Ah well, hopefully med schools won't freak out about the score disparity.

You've been a fun group :) I wish you all well and hope to see you at interviews, in med school, and the like.

pianola

Glad you fared better than I did. :thumbup:

Glad you fared better than I did. :thumbup:

You're a good guy, exi. I really hope that comes through in interviews. You know what, you've got plenty of things going for you so the MCAT hopefully won't be that big a deal. And you know, it's said that ADCOMs like muscians :D.

AND PS. Your GPA is AMAZING. Props to you on that one.

Well, I got a little bit of perspective since I found out my score. Reading through this thread really helped me cope with the nervousness of waiting for my scores and is still helping me frame my score in the right light. Yeah, 31Q was below my testing average, but I'm seeing people on here ecstatic with that score. That was the smack to the face I needed. Thanks guys.

C'mon class of 2013! Let's go get 'em!

Well, I got a little bit of perspective since I found out my score. Reading through this thread really helped me cope with the nervousness of waiting for my scores and is still helping me frame my score in the right light. Yeah, 31Q was below my testing average, but I'm seeing people on here ecstatic with that score. That was the smack to the face I needed. Thanks guys.

C'mon class of 2013! Let's go get 'em!

I would be thrilled with a 31. Absolutely thrilled.

It does put down my mood when I read other people's score. People on here are just so damn smart. My score (33N) is supposed to be 88-91.1 percentile according to AAMC. I think its like 50th percentile on student doctor network. To everybody: Remember that you are competing with everyone, not just the overachieving members of SDN. Good luck to you all with your applications :)

i'm An Arizona Resident So Uofa Is My First Choice. I'm Doing Undergrad And U. Of Illinois So I'm Applying To All The Chicago Schools, Then I'm Applying To Louisville, Kentucky, Colorado, And Baylor.

*ahem* I-L-L

I've been a lurker for a while, but I figured I'll post as well since I finally have my scores.

Bio- 14
Phys- 12
Verbal- 11
Writing- R
Total- 37R

Kaplan
Best Score- 35
Worst- 31
Average- 34

AAMC
Best Score- 40
Worst- 34
Average- 37

32O!!!!

PS - 12
VR - 10
BS - 10
WS - O

I took the paper version in August 2006. For that old one, I got a 29L (L as in LOL!). 13PS, 6 VR, 10 BS. I'm 100% satisfied with my score. Could NOT be any happier! :D All that hard work to retake really paid off.

Congratulations! Very balanced and nice VR improvement! :)

To everyone who hit their target or above: congratulations

To those of you who didn't: You still CAN do this! It is a long, hard road, but if it is really what you want you can improve. I went from a 22Q (last April) to a 21Q (absolutely devastating - last August) to a 29O this year. I wanted to give up - I thought that two low 20's would be the end of my dream. But I continued trudging the path and it paid off in April.

With that said, to those of you with high 20's or low 30's - Don't be dismayed by the high score averages on SDN. Remember that the actual average of test takers is much lower... and even TAKING the test puts you in a very small percentile of people in America.

If anyone needs empathy, support, or help with the retake plan, let me know! :) :love::thumbup::luck: to you all.

I GOT A 31P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is up from my 27P from September.

SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW. This was the confidence boost I needed.

To anyone not not happy with their score: go, take a break. Relax. Don't think about the MCAT, science, med school for 2 months. Rejuvenate. Then look hard at what you want to do and sign up for the test again if the drive is still there. Study your wek points, learn from your mistakes - IT CAN BE DONE

:)
Congrats to all!

One of the best parts of this for me is that I was originally going to apply blind, but of course the PS is working me over, so now with my score WAY higher than I expected (35Q), I have a chance to rework my school list, and I'm adding some more competitive ones.

Also, tonight I went and saw Get Smart (pretty funny) and these punk high schoolers were totally making fun of my laugh - which, admittedly, sounds a little like a seagull - and I couldn't help but think to myself, hey, I'm going to med school, and someday, you might need me to cut you open, and we'll see who's laughing then!

Excellent job to all of you who reached your goals, and to those who didn't, I totally believe in you, so good luck and blessings.